Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Old Country Store closing??? >

Old Country Store closing???

Old Country Store closing???

Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 AM

I was hoping that wasn't the case.....
Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Would love to know what happened... they had great prices and were so friendly.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 PM

Am I the only one who had a TERRIBLE experience with them? Granted, mine were on-line only both times, but the fabric ordered was not right and when I contacted about the miscut the first time (badly miscut, as in I had to cut 8" off one end and 10.3" off the other to square the fabric up), it wasn't their fault at all, it was my fault. The prices got to me again, second order, the fabric I got wasn't at all what I ordered and I've gotten better quality fabric at Walmart.

If that's how their online was in general, the closing doesn't surprise me.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:04 PM

I ordered from them twice online and was fortunate in that both orders were fine. The fabric was nicely folded and just what I ordered. I had ordered Moda fabric and another popular line and the quality was what it should have been. I called once to verify that the fabric they had a picture of was the one I wanted as they had it with the wrong name and in the wrong line- it was and they were very nice on the phone. This was last spring so maybe they've gone downhill since then.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM

Unhappy Good experiences

Originally Posted by QuiltedCello View Post
Am I the only one who had a TERRIBLE experience with them? Granted, mine were on-line only both times, but the fabric ordered was not right and when I contacted about the miscut the first time (badly miscut, as in I had to cut 8" off one end and 10.3" off the other to square the fabric up), it wasn't their fault at all, it was my fault. The prices got to me again, second order, the fabric I got wasn't at all what I ordered and I've gotten better quality fabric at Walmart.

If that's how their online was in general, the closing doesn't surprise me.
I have always had great experiences with them, both online and in person. Very friendly and helpful, very fast shipping. Sorry your experience was not that good, but I think you were in the minority. They have always enjoyed a great reputation. There fabric was always top of the line, and I never saw anything in the store other than top name brands of fabric.

What I am hearing is that the owner announced they were closing & has not even paid the staff. They always seemed to be doing a land-office business every time I was in the store, and were crazy nuts during the Lancaster quilt show. Not sure how they could be losing money.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

How sad. It goes to show that we are in bad economic times. Things are worse then we are being told by news media. Unless you are a large business, I believe a company is always vulnerable to going out of business....Pray for our country....
Old 12-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Default Here's the scoop

Here is a link. Looks like the book business and Mr. Good's focus on getting his Broadway show produced may have sunk the profitable piece of the business (OCS). I feel horrible for all of the employees who were blindsided by this.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/929944_Intercourse-based-Good-Enterprises-closes-to-pursue-bankruptcy-liquidation-.html

Old 12-11-2013, 07:56 AM

sad situation.........don't know the area, but from the news article in link sounds like the Goods, he pres, wife, vp, sec., treas., should have been oversighted awhile back..........now innocent, honest, hardworking employees are going to be out in the cold, while the Goods will probably still be "safe" in their bankruptcy filing.............
Old 12-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Yeppers I think we all got that email that are on their emailing lists .. Signs of the economy for sure ...
Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Patticakes334 View Post
Here is a link. Looks like the book business and Mr. Good's focus on getting his Broadway show produced may have sunk the profitable piece of the business (OCS). I feel horrible for all of the employees who were blindsided by this.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/929944_Intercourse-based-Good-Enterprises-closes-to-pursue-bankruptcy-liquidation-.html

Wow! Thanks for that link. It does seem greed and wanting to be famous caused a lot of people harm who otherwise might be happier at this time of year. Some employees seem to feel that he took money from the profitable businesses and sunk it into his desire to be a Broadway producer. Sad that he couldn't have put some cash aside to pay his employees.