Patchwork Diaper Bag

Patchwork Diaper Bag

Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 AM

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/07/...iaper-bag.html
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Banned

great bag thanks for the link
Old 07-09-2009, 05:26 AM

I think it depends on the person. Alot of new moms are now getting into home made things, but there are also those that want the Brand Label ones too. I know I got mine from the baby shower, so I was set with that. They vary in prices from around $10 and up. Just all depends on what you are wanting. The one I had had a changing pad, an area for clean clothes, then a bag where I could put dirty clothes. Had a space for bottles, wipes and all sorts of things. Was almost the size of a carry on bag. lol
Old 07-09-2009, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Do you make them Terri? Do they sell at shows?
No, I don't make them. Too much work to go into them to even try to break even, in my opinion.
NONE of my totes sold at the last craft fair I was at. I will, however, bring them again for this next one coming up in Nov. Try to sell them again, but I just don't know.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

i make them and i don't think its that much more work the most of the other bags i sell. it take maybe 30 minutes longer then the other bags.

the diaper bag is my biggest money maker because i can charge $100 a bag.

i prefer to make diaper bags that aren't so glaringly a diaper bag this way its a lap top bag, a gym bag, a weekend bag, etc.

i hate the small bags because the hardware i put into the bags cost the same no matter what size handbag i put them in but the small bags only sell for $25.

so i'd much rather up sell everyone into the bigger bag and i only make a few small bags.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
Thanks Klue. It is interesting to think about. I don't do shows so didn't know.

Terri, What kinds of things are you going to make for this years show?
I have my soft books like I had last year...my biggest seller. I have about 75 of them and if I can sell ALL of them, that's a profit of $400!!!
I have my totes, will keep them at the same $20 price, maybe they'll sell this year. I will have the mice and a few embroidered towels. The towels didn't go over that well, but once people found out that I made them, they were wanting them. I know have the Submarine Dolphin and the Surface Warfare insignia, so I can make both styles.
I'm planning on some table runners and some coasters.
Not sure what else. That's pretty much what I had last year.
Maybe I'll do some scrappy doll quilts.....can pass them off as baby quilts? NONE of my quilts sold last year. People thought they were too expensive. I had a baby one priced at $50 and a lady wanted me to sell it to her for $20...don't think so. My quilts were priced at pretty much rock bottom with me only making about $30 total on them.
Will just have to see what happens. Need to get projects done for now, then sew, sew, sew for the craft fair.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i make them and i don't think its that much more work the most of the other bags i sell. it take maybe 30 minutes longer then the other bags.

the diaper bag is my biggest money maker because i can charge $100 a bag.

i prefer to make diaper bags that aren't so glaringly a diaper bag this way its a lap top bag, a gym bag, a weekend bag, etc.

i hate the small bags because the hardware i put into the bags cost the same no matter what size handbag i put them in but the small bags only sell for $25.

so i'd much rather up sell everyone into the bigger bag and i only make a few small bags.
Klue, I think you are in an area where people WILL buy. I'm in an area that people want something for nothing and there's really not a whole lot of hand made things here, so people don't want to pay for it.
My totes I made....$20....not one sold. I was flabbergasted as were some of my friends! They couldn't believe that NONE sold.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Banned

yes i agree that NY (and i mean Metro NYC because upstate NY is nothing like Metro NYC) is very pro artist but that has its downside too.

i have tons of competition not only with other fabric artists but with all artists including painting, sculpting, etc.

i'm far from the only one making handbags and wall art at any given fair i'm up against 30 other artists.