Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Perfect option for a cutting table

Perfect option for a cutting table

It doesn't fit the needs for my room, because I need to come up with a wall mounted fold up option, but this table could really work well for a cutting table for someone else. You just crank it to the right standing height for you!

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29084966/
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

That is a real nice table top. Little expensive for my budget.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Just a little pricier than I would want to pay. Great idea though!!

Ok- It's on my "gonna get" list.

Right now I have two tables in my sewing room. When the Long Arm gets moved to the shed, the dining room table is going back downstairs to the dining room, and when the daybed gets moved into the small bedroom, I'll lose the stand that my cutting table sits on (it's a finished 4'x6' sheet of cabinet grade plywood that fits on top of the sides of the daybed).

DH says I should be able to put the plywood on top of this table and be good to go. I've found a few other items I want for the Machine Shed too. It's a 4 hours away, but still worth the trip.

BTW- I really like having a higher table for cutting with the ruler, but a lower table for cutting with scissors (like for garment construction). DH likes using the table at the lower height - so this way we can both have what we want.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Nice! Love the crank height control...
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I really like that concept. Not likely I'll change my table out any time soon, but if I were to do so, I'd have to seriously consider this. I'm short. Even though my current table is right about where all the 'ergonomics' say it should be, it's still not comfortable for me.

Nice table. It definitely would work on so many levels, no pun intended

I have the table from our last house's big morning room in my cutting area with bed risers under the legs. It has 2 leaf extensions so it's really long and works great for me. You can also get plain tables at used office furniture stores cheaply. With a set of bed risers they work great.
    Patrice S

Neat idea. I recently toured the hobby room of a friend's friend, and she had a similar table, but it was power-lift. It was really neat, but I wonder how often she'll actually change the height.

Power Poster
    I like the idea.

It would look a lot nicer than the pedestals that my table is setting on. It wold be easier to move, too.

$279 - less than a dollar a day for a year's use. In five years' time - that would be about $0.10 per day cost. (shipping cost not included)

I saw these in the catalog! IKEA has a new power-lift version of this table too...but it's REALLY not cheap.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49022538/

I think it's a great idea, AND now that IKEA is making them, maybe some other consumer office furniture companies will follow suit and help bring the price down. I think the sit/stand desks are becoming a lot more popular - we have a few here at work and they're really coveted.

IKEA will probably drop the price in a year or two, as well. That's their normal pattern.

I am on the shorter side so this might be what I need depending on the starting height of the table. As long as it wasn't too high to start with it should be perfect. Thanks for the idea

Blog Entries
    My cutting table is four bottom cabinets I bought from habitat for humanity. I put two facing forward and two behind them facing the sides. Placed heavy plywood with peel and stick tiles on top. Perfect height, big enough to pin my quilts, huge cutting board at my ready! Lots of storage with drawers and shelves.

wow, how cool is THAT!

That's the Canadian Ikea prices. If the same table is available in the States, most likely it's cheaper. (Darn our retail prices!)

Thanks LindaMZH. I didn't even think about the fact that I was including a link to the Canadian site.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

Blog Entries
    My husband had a hospital bed in his room.He passed about three yrs ago.so i made it my sewing room.I had a piece of plywood cut to fit the top and cranked it down as low as it goes.It makes a perfect cutting and pinning board with room for a small ironing. board.plus I find great comfort sewing in that room.His spirit seems to be there.CMARAS123
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Blog Entries
    I wish I had the space to put it, because pricey or not I would definitely get one. I have to use a fold up table and it is just not quite tall enough. That is just too cool!

We ordered an adjustable lifetime table for my cutting table but haven't been able to set it up yet. (Just moved and there are boxes everywhere).

Blog Entries
    I used to cut on my chest freezer until my husband brought home a used drafting board from work they were getting rid of. It works for me and can't can be raised and lowered