Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Sew Perfect Table or Tracey's Table

  1. #1
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377

    Sew Perfect Table or Tracey's Table

    I've been sewing for 2 years on a Gidget II table with my Janome Horizon or my Brother PQS 1500... well... I would like an upgrade. I'm sewing in a 8 x 10 room. So not tiny, but not the least bit large. So I have a couple folding tables set up for a table top ironing pad, and cutting area.

    I eyed the Tracey Tables http://www.traceystables.com/ at the Madison, WI Quilt Expo. These feel like furniture. Great workmanship. They are saying 6 month wait, but my friend got hers in a week, so who knows - maybe 6 months on the outside. The cons are it's not adjustable. However, the pro is you can have an adjustable bed for the machine, so I can switch the machines out easy. I like the cut and press as well, but it may be a bit high for my 5'2" self. I'm within an hour from them, so shipping would be reasonable.

    I then saw online the Sew Perfect Tables. http://www.sewperfecttables.com/sewi...uilt-pro.shtml
    A back can be added on. It's slightly smaller than the Tracey, but that would be ok - b/c I'm in a small space. I like the additional cutting table and would have a spot against the wall for that. I actually like the industrial feel b/c I'm in there to work and I'd be less worried about something getting scratched or screwed up. So the pros are it's adjustable, but I can't see well - but the bed seems to be a manual adjustment. I'd have to find that out. Also even paying the shipping, it would be less expensive. Although I'm less concerned about expense and just want to make a purchase I could be really happy with for a long time.

    Any thoughts? Rose
    - Rose

  2. #2
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Check out Koala tables. I have two and love them.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Toni C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    838
    Well IMHO you are not really comparing apples to apples. If you want a piece of furniture look into the Tracey's a little harder BUT if what you want is just a table the sew perfect looks good. I am assuming that the Tracey is particleboard with a melamine finish. Check how it goes together so if you need to dissemble it to move it,you don't have problems later with it not being sturdy because the screws kind of round out the holes it goes in.Also check out the tilt top. Nice when piecing,you can sure see,but is it made to go tilt and flat easily since to quilt you don't want the quilt to push down towards you.On the Sew Perfect I noticed the legs are adjustable but it didn't say if the bed where the machine was or not

  4. #4
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Shoot... just lost my post.

    Anyhoo... The Tracey come totally assembled and fold up enough to get through the doorway. So I would assume you can just load them as is. However, I agree - they are apples and oranges. I can't decide if I want a nice piece of furniture or a work table. I'm afraid if I buy something that is "too nice," I'll never use it as a work table in fear I will screw it up.

    I have to call them on that bed - also it would be so much easier if I could see one. See if they've sold one around here or have a dealer.

    I have to try the door stopper trick. I'm so short, I'm probably at eye level to the needle now. I just haven't tried a machine tilted yet.
    - Rose

  5. #5
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,156
    Blog Entries
    3
    Those Tracey tables look interesting. I like that the edges are rounded. What is the price range? There are some nice ones that have a furniture look, but usually are pricey. My LQS has one (I forget the brand) that runs in the $2,000 range. Way beyond my budget. I'm working off of plastic folding tables, but would love a table the machine drops into someday.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,587
    Just my 2 cents here, but I'd be more interested in the Tracey table. Major reason - there is handy storage in the table. You can have your scissors, seam rippers, extra bobbins, etc. all handy in the included drawers. The sew-ezi table looks as though there is no 'on board' storage. That would make me crazy. I sew in a VERY small space. Actually the room is about the same size as yours but there is a ton of other furniture in there. My sewing table is a tiny, wobbly, little old cabinet that I got out of a catalog decades ago. My machine sits on top - not flush. That's okay with me - I don't machine quilt. BUT there are 4 drawers on the right hand side that are invaluable to me! I can be centered on my machine and have at hand all those gadgets I mentioned. Plus some. I'd be crazed if I had to hop up/down for those things or had to have them laying on top of the table all the time for easy access. Just my way working though.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,367
    I like the stronger looking second one. You could get a kitchen base cabinet with drawers, put a piece of countertop on it and use it for something else, if you got two base cabinets and countertop on them, you would have a nice usable top for cutting or ironing. If too tall for you maybe you could cut and iron in high heels?? Sorry, I'm trying to be funny.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    Those Tracey tables look interesting. I like that the edges are rounded. What is the price range? There are some nice ones that have a furniture look, but usually are pricey. My LQS has one (I forget the brand) that runs in the $2,000 range. Way beyond my budget. I'm working off of plastic folding tables, but would love a table the machine drops into someday.
    The quilters workstation is under $1K and that is the most expensive one. So definitely good value and good workmanship there.
    - Rose

  9. #9
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    Just my 2 cents here, but I'd be more interested in the Tracey table. Major reason - there is handy storage in the table. You can have your scissors, seam rippers, extra bobbins, etc. all handy in the included drawers. The sew-ezi table looks as though there is no 'on board' storage. That would make me crazy. I sew in a VERY small space. Actually the room is about the same size as yours but there is a ton of other furniture in there. My sewing table is a tiny, wobbly, little old cabinet that I got out of a catalog decades ago. My machine sits on top - not flush. That's okay with me - I don't machine quilt. BUT there are 4 drawers on the right hand side that are invaluable to me! I can be centered on my machine and have at hand all those gadgets I mentioned. Plus some. I'd be crazed if I had to hop up/down for those things or had to have them laying on top of the table all the time for easy access. Just my way working though.
    The storage is definitely a plus. I have all these plastic drawer things that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.
    - Rose

  10. #10
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I like the stronger looking second one. You could get a kitchen base cabinet with drawers, put a piece of countertop on it and use it for something else, if you got two base cabinets and countertop on them, you would have a nice usable top for cutting or ironing. If too tall for you maybe you could cut and iron in high heels?? Sorry, I'm trying to be funny.
    You know.... that's a good idea. For a cutting pressing area, I could just something like a kitchen island. I'm about ready for platforms!
    - Rose

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Posts
    3,364
    I have the Traceys Quilters table and have had it for probably close to 10 years and no problems. It survived my husband getting it home from the LQS - he's not always the most careful person. I use it a lot and really haven't noticed any wear and tear. I got mine before they offered the adjustable lifts but only have 2 machines and no problem interchanging them(need different inserts). If you think this is really what you want and the only thing keeping you from going with it is the height - call/email them, I would bet money they can make some adjustments. I remember from seeing them at the Dallas show that they were very accomodating. However on the other hand the Sewperfect table looks fine also and probably quite a bit cheaper so really up to what you want.

    As for cutting there are many affordable options. We purchased some kitchen cabinets (on closeout/ put together yourself types) at Home Depot then just put plywood on top. I did cover the plywood with contact paper. What I had before this also worked - two filing cabinets with a contact covered door on top. If it wasn't high enough we just put some boards under it. The other thing that I have seen that is pretty cool (if I would have seen it first I would have done it) is IKEA has a table - the two ends are saw horse looking things and are height adjustable, then just choose the top you want.

  12. #12
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I have kicked the tires on the Traceys tables for years. To me they are that perfect mid range affordable table but very sturdy choice. Several people I know have them and I envy their tables and work space. All of them said they would do it again.

  13. #13
    Super Member Neesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,882
    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
    Shoot... just lost my post.

    Anyhoo... The Tracey come totally assembled and fold up enough to get through the doorway. So I would assume you can just load them as is. However, I agree - they are apples and oranges. I can't decide if I want a nice piece of furniture or a work table. I'm afraid if I buy something that is "too nice," I'll never use it as a work table in fear I will screw it up.

    I have to call them on that bed - also it would be so much easier if I could see one. See if they've sold one around here or have a dealer.

    I have to try the door stopper trick. I'm so short, I'm probably at eye level to the needle now. I just haven't tried a machine tilted yet.
    Sounds like what you need is an adjustable chair! I'm also 5'2" and have never had that problem. My cutting table is a bit higher than a dining table but I find it much more comfortable, not to have to lean over.
    Neesie


    By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

  14. #14
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Sounds like what you need is an adjustable chair! I'm also 5'2" and have never had that problem. My cutting table is a bit higher than a dining table but I find it much more comfortable, not to have to lean over.
    I have a lovely Horn 6-way adjustable chair, but if I put it up too high my feet don't touch the floor. (lol)
    - Rose

  15. #15
    Super Member LoisM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Highland, CA
    Posts
    1,403
    I personally prefer the Sew Perfect table. Please let us know which you decide on.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Daffy Daphne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    359
    Quite a few members of the two Janome forums I belong to have the Sew Perfect table, in one form or another, and they all say they love it. I agree that Tracy's tables are prettier but since my sewing area is upstairs, looks aren't that important to me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
    I've been sewing for 2 years on a Gidget II table with my Janome Horizon or my Brother PQS 1500... well... I would like an upgrade........
    So glad you mentioned this. I was thinking about buying a Gidget or SewEzi table and would probably end up upgrading, too. The new sewing machines seem to be getting bigger every year. I like the industrial look of the Sew Perfect table, seems sturdy enough to handle anything. The Tracey is nice, but I'm always concerned about shipping damage with large wood products. I'll be checking them out at the next quilt show.

  18. #18
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,156
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
    The quilters workstation is under $1K and that is the most expensive one. So definitely good value and good workmanship there.
    That isn't bad in comparison to some of the higher end ones. Now, if I could just get my "spare" room back...

  19. #19
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Well... no decision yet. I did call Sew Perfect. They tables have a screws on the bed, so you can raise and lower it. He said the air lift was fussy and that is why he doesn't put them on. There is a local place that sells Tracey, so I can go back and kick the tires a bit more. I think it's so hard because they are both great.

    Then I found this blog post and wow! http://becauseisaysew.blogspot.com/2...ing-table.html

    My husband gave me a name of a cabinet maker they used at his work, so I may pop by there and see what it would take. Oh yes... obviously I'd need a drafting style chair.
    Last edited by madamepurl; 09-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    - Rose

  20. #20
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Well... just wanted to give an update. I ended up going with the Tracey Tables. I got the L shaped Quilter's Work Station, the Cut and Press and the Cutting Table. I added on the bolt holder and the ironing cradle, so it keeping your quilt or yardage off the floor. I plan to post some pictures in mission organization area.
    - Rose

  21. #21
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Also should add it only took about 3 weeks for delivery and they cut the sizes down for my shortness.
    - Rose

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    30
    Madamepurl, I have spent quiet a bit of time looking for those pictures. I am very interested in seeing your sewing room. I know it is going to be wonderful. Have been so interested in the Tracey's Tables. Can you help me find them? Thank you so much.
    Pat

  23. #23
    Senior Member madamepurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    IL, USA
    Posts
    377
    Hi Pat,

    Whoops... forgot to post after I got my tables. Here is the link to my Flickr photo album. Lots of pictures in there. It took a few weeks to get it all set. It works great now.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/madamep...7631876520878/

    Rose
    http://madamepurl.com

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    30
    Thank you for your reply. I love your sewing studio. I am sure you are thrilled with your new cabinets. I don't know how it could be any better. I would never have found these pictures withour your help.
    Have fun and thanks.
    Pat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.