Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sew Perfect Table or Tracey's Table >

Sew Perfect Table or Tracey's Table

Sew Perfect Table or Tracey's Table

Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM

I have the Traceys Quilters table and have had it for probably close to 10 years and no problems. It survived my husband getting it home from the LQS - he's not always the most careful person. I use it a lot and really haven't noticed any wear and tear. I got mine before they offered the adjustable lifts but only have 2 machines and no problem interchanging them(need different inserts). If you think this is really what you want and the only thing keeping you from going with it is the height - call/email them, I would bet money they can make some adjustments. I remember from seeing them at the Dallas show that they were very accomodating. However on the other hand the Sewperfect table looks fine also and probably quite a bit cheaper so really up to what you want.

As for cutting there are many affordable options. We purchased some kitchen cabinets (on closeout/ put together yourself types) at Home Depot then just put plywood on top. I did cover the plywood with contact paper. What I had before this also worked - two filing cabinets with a contact covered door on top. If it wasn't high enough we just put some boards under it. The other thing that I have seen that is pretty cool (if I would have seen it first I would have done it) is IKEA has a table - the two ends are saw horse looking things and are height adjustable, then just choose the top you want.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM

I have kicked the tires on the Traceys tables for years. To me they are that perfect mid range affordable table but very sturdy choice. Several people I know have them and I envy their tables and work space. All of them said they would do it again.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
Shoot... just lost my post.

Anyhoo... The Tracey come totally assembled and fold up enough to get through the doorway. So I would assume you can just load them as is. However, I agree - they are apples and oranges. I can't decide if I want a nice piece of furniture or a work table. I'm afraid if I buy something that is "too nice," I'll never use it as a work table in fear I will screw it up.

I have to call them on that bed - also it would be so much easier if I could see one. See if they've sold one around here or have a dealer.

I have to try the door stopper trick. I'm so short, I'm probably at eye level to the needle now. I just haven't tried a machine tilted yet.
Sounds like what you need is an adjustable chair! I'm also 5'2" and have never had that problem. My cutting table is a bit higher than a dining table but I find it much more comfortable, not to have to lean over.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Sounds like what you need is an adjustable chair! I'm also 5'2" and have never had that problem. My cutting table is a bit higher than a dining table but I find it much more comfortable, not to have to lean over.
I have a lovely Horn 6-way adjustable chair, but if I put it up too high my feet don't touch the floor. (lol)
Old 09-26-2012, 01:09 PM

I personally prefer the Sew Perfect table. Please let us know which you decide on.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quite a few members of the two Janome forums I belong to have the Sew Perfect table, in one form or another, and they all say they love it. I agree that Tracy's tables are prettier but since my sewing area is upstairs, looks aren't that important to me.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:02 AM

I've been sewing for 2 years on a Gidget II table with my Janome Horizon or my Brother PQS 1500... well... I would like an upgrade........
So glad you mentioned this. I was thinking about buying a Gidget or SewEzi table and would probably end up upgrading, too. The new sewing machines seem to be getting bigger every year. I like the industrial look of the Sew Perfect table, seems sturdy enough to handle anything. The Tracey is nice, but I'm always concerned about shipping damage with large wood products. I'll be checking them out at the next quilt show.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM

The quilters workstation is under $1K and that is the most expensive one. So definitely good value and good workmanship there.
That isn't bad in comparison to some of the higher end ones. Now, if I could just get my "spare" room back...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Well... no decision yet. I did call Sew Perfect. They tables have a screws on the bed, so you can raise and lower it. He said the air lift was fussy and that is why he doesn't put them on. There is a local place that sells Tracey, so I can go back and kick the tires a bit more. I think it's so hard because they are both great.

Then I found this blog post and wow! http://becauseisaysew.blogspot.com/2...ing-table.html

My husband gave me a name of a cabinet maker they used at his work, so I may pop by there and see what it would take. Oh yes... obviously I'd need a drafting style chair.

Last edited by madamepurl; 09-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Well... just wanted to give an update. I ended up going with the Tracey Tables. I got the L shaped Quilter's Work Station, the Cut and Press and the Cutting Table. I added on the bolt holder and the ironing cradle, so it keeping your quilt or yardage off the floor. I plan to post some pictures in mission organization area.