Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pine Cone Quilts

Pine Cone Quilts

I am new to Pine Cone Quilts. This is patience! Betty Ford's Purple Quilt is beautiful.

http://pineconequilts.com/

There is a free block to learn the Pine Cone Quilt.

https://quiltmuseum.org/blockofthemonth/

Block 11: Pine Cone Quilt

February 2019
    Resources:

Carol

Those quilts are really something, she said some weigh 20lbs. Wow!

I might have to make a small one 30 x 30 just to hang on the wall. Thanks for the link.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Power Poster
    ​I like the pine cone Christmas ornaments but I don’t think a quilt is on my future.

Blog Entries
    that would be a good candidate for quilt as you go.

if the prairie points were stitched down facing in the opposite direction, i'll bet it would like like a dahlia, a mum, or a zinnia.

note to self ...
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I am doing the BOM from the National Quilt Museum and just finished the Pine Cone block from Betty Ford-Smith tutorial. It does make a heavy block but is not that hard and they look fantastic. Here is the block I did. Not sure how something like this can be quilted but I guess we will find out in March.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful sJens! Love the color combo. Did it take a lot of fabric and how big is your block?

I just signed up and getting ready to try this block before I think about an entire quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by sJens View Post
    I am doing the BOM from the National Quilt Museum and just finished the Pine Cone block from Betty Ford-Smith tutorial. It does make a heavy block but is not that hard and they look fantastic. Here is the block I did. Not sure how something like this can be quilted but I guess we will find out in March.
    Carol

QueenbarbieJ, the blocks are cut 4" X 4" and folded into triangles. I believe in the 10.5 block there are 100 or more 4 X 4 blocks depending on how it was put together. It is quite heavy and seems like it will not be easy to do any quilting on. I think that Betty Ford-Smith uses the stitches that she sews the triangles down with as her quilting. It was a fun block to put together and learn the history of. Another National Quilt Museum BOM will start in April for those interested. Just be able to like being puzzled at how everything will fit together. All of the blocks in this BOM were 10.5.
    Last edited by sJens; 02-27-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Simply beautiful sJens. I may make one as a wall hanging oneday. My virtual to-do list is about 6 feet long or so.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad