Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Pixel Quilt Resources and Links >

Pixel Quilt Resources and Links

Pixel Quilt Resources and Links

Old 02-20-2022, 06:49 AM

Default Pixel Quilt Resources and Links

Many had questions about how I went about creating the pixel portrait quilt for my mum. I thought it best to create a post with some links and resources so it would not get buried in the original post replies.

To create the pixel quilt I made, I found a free tutorial on Craftsy.

Here is the link to it :

https://www.craftsy.com/class/pictures-to-pixel-quilts/

Though it was meant for much simpler projects, I adapted it to suit my needs. The quilt creation took me 8 months... that time includes the moment I decided I should like to make it, through the pattern creation and the actual construction.

I was asked if I used a programme to create the pattern and I thought to myself, there must be something out there to make this process easier, quicker, mustn't there?

So I went on a search online and I found the most magnificent pattern maker! Her site can be found here :

https://www.youpatch.com/

Oh my gracious I wish I had found this before I started this endeavour. I just ordered my first pattern from her, got it in less than 24 hours and it is a wonder. Her site gives instructions on how to choose and upload a picture, pixelate it to your liking and submit it. Just like that, she makes it into a digital pattern with step by step instructions, cutting guides, fabric requirements and all sorts of tips and tricks. I am so excited to get started on my next pixel quilt!

Happy Quilting!
Old 02-20-2022, 09:49 AM

Thank you for the information. Another great resource for portrait art is Tammie Bowser - there are free shows with her on Nancy Zieman site and also at her website How To Sew Art. She does video classes showing how to do 2 methods, using squares and also contoured pieces. I have taken both classes and she does the pattern and sends you both the pattern and the fabric for the classes. She has also developed and sells her software to make your own patterns. I am not associated with How To Sew Art, but I am a very satisfied customer. Once you take a class, it is available forever to you. It's a live class over zoom so you can ask questions during the class.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by c joyce View Post
Thank you for the information. Another great resource for portrait art is Tammie Bowser - there are free shows with her on Nancy Zieman site and also at her website How To Sew Art. She does video classes showing how to do 2 methods, using squares and also contoured pieces. I have taken both classes and she does the pattern and sends you both the pattern and the fabric for the classes. She has also developed and sells her software to make your own patterns. I am not associated with How To Sew Art, but I am a very satisfied customer. Once you take a class, it is available forever to you. It's a live class over zoom so you can ask questions during the class.
Oh thank you very much for that information. I will most certainly look into those classes and software. They sound fabulous.
Old 02-21-2022, 10:46 AM

Thank you for sharing this information. I plan on putting it to good use.