Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Have you seen the 'new' Singer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/have-you-seen-new-singer-t180422.html)

SunlitenSmiles 02-24-2012 04:13 AM

does it have needle up/ needle down?
does it have a knee lift bar for the presser foot?

these are a couple of favorite things with my 20 yr. old/young (but heavy)BERNINA

do not understand the fashionation with auto needle threading, it is so easy to thread so the only time i ever used the threader was in the 'how to use your machine' class when first purchased.

AZ Jane 02-24-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 5003300)

do not understand the fashionation with auto needle threading, it is so easy to thread so the only time i ever used the threader was in the 'how to use your machine' class when first purchased.

LOL, because as you get older, the needle hole gets smaller. I'm considering getting a new machine for that feature alone.

DonnaC 02-24-2012 09:28 AM

Actually, there are quite a few of us on the Board who own that new machine (most purchased from HSN). Just search for "Singer 160" and you'll find lots of info. I have made one project on mine thus far, and I really like the machine. I'll have to post a review here for everyone!

AUQuilter 02-24-2012 09:46 AM

It is always fun to see what new things come out- whether I like them or not. It does resemble the Featherweight although I love the simple but sharp lines of the old metal machines. The marketplace determines the success of these products.
Thanks for posting this.

Candela59 02-24-2012 09:53 AM

these are a couple of favorite things with my 20 yr. old/young (but heavy)BERNINA

No it doesn't have the needle up/down option something I really am missing. I figure I'll just have to get use to it. I really, really like it though. I've never knee lifter option so I don't really miss that! LOL! :)

clsurz 02-25-2012 03:30 AM

I have to agree with automatic threader. It takes longer to use that dumb thing than doing it myself. I never use mine and I have it on all my machines.

marymay 02-25-2012 05:54 AM

Walkng into JoAnns last week end with my sewing buddie. She said to me. You have to come and look at the new Singer. I saw. We both bought one. We love it. We are so bad. Now to tell my wonderful DH :-) he bought me another sewing machine.

beadywoman 02-25-2012 06:15 AM

I bought one (or rather, my husband bought it for me!) from HSN while my beloved Janome was in the hospital. I really do like the machine - it is MUCH heavier than you would think, actually heavier than my Janome. I do miss the needle down function, though, and haven't been able to successfully operate the needle threader yet (yes, I DO use that when able, cuz I have trouble finding the hole!). I've done some paper piecing on the Singer, as well as some regular piecing. It does a good job, has a nice straight stitch, but I don't like the 1/4 foot that came with the machine, so will be looking to upgrade that soon.

Do I like it better than my Janome? In terms of performance, no. But in terms of unusual looks, oh yes. It is very pretty! Makes me want to get a vintage machine!

CRELLA 02-25-2012 06:24 AM

I have it an it sews really good the only thing is that if you are sewing with blk. Thread it's hard to see but ireally like it. Singer 160

CRELLA 02-25-2012 06:26 AM

I got it from hsn for 499.00