Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you seen the 'new' Singer?

Blog Entries

Have you seen the 'new' Singer?

http://www.joann.com/singer-160th-an...en=16097015874

Singer has a new machine going to be available at Jo-Ann's. Resembles the style of a Featherweight.
    "A day patched with quilting seldom unravels."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C092AD2FC3.png

Blog Entries
    To be quite honest, it doesn't look anything like a vintage featherweight to me! I really don't like its looks, and Singer plastic machines do not have a good reputation. This one is really easy for me to pass up.....

It's unique. I will have to stop in to see it. I just picked up a Singer Red Eye that is in beautiful shape and only $50. Thats more my price range lol!

I just came from Joann's and it's not there yet.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

That's pretty cool, (out of my price range), but pretty cool!

All I've seen is pictures of the machine. The part I'm not comfortable with is the small work area under the arch. There's really no room to do anything with that machine.

It's pretty, but on the shelf to look at pretty.

Joe

That's the same one that was demo-d on HSN. You can probably read up on it on their website too.

That's the same one HSN had couple weeks ago.

I have the FW75 and love it because it is computerized, can be taken anywhere and despite what many say about these machines with plastic outside everything inside is metal and heavy enough but not to heavy not to be able to carry it.

I've had the FW75 for almost a year and it is a workhorse.

This one is also a FW computerized but a special edition and made to look like an older model with the exception that is computerized with alot of stitch options.

Folks that want a heavy duty ONE STITCH machine it's their choice to do so but in today's technology age folks want a whole lot more than a straight stitch machine no matter what it's made off.
    clsurz

I bought one from HSN earlier this month when they were having a special. I got extra attachments, a gorgeous carry bag and a wonderful book called "Sew Retro". I've made a few small items already and I really love her!!!

I just checked it out on Joann's website. The machine w/o all the extras I got at HSN is $120 more than I paid for everything at HSN! I feel even better about my purchase now!
    Last edited by Candela59; 02-23-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added more info
    --------------
    "Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

Well I think its a cute idea! I think if I had vintage decor in my sewing room it would be a nice addition to keep with the vintage feel.

Blog Entries
    does it have needle up/ needle down?
    does it have a knee lift bar for the presser foot?

these are a couple of favorite things with my 20 yr. old/young (but heavy)BERNINA

do not understand the fashionation with auto needle threading, it is so easy to thread so the only time i ever used the threader was in the 'how to use your machine' class when first purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post

do not understand the fashionation with auto needle threading, it is so easy to thread so the only time i ever used the threader was in the 'how to use your machine' class when first purchased.
    LOL, because as you get older, the needle hole gets smaller. I'm considering getting a new machine for that feature alone.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Actually, there are quite a few of us on the Board who own that new machine (most purchased from HSN). Just search for "Singer 160" and you'll find lots of info. I have made one project on mine thus far, and I really like the machine. I'll have to post a review here for everyone!

It is always fun to see what new things come out- whether I like them or not. It does resemble the Featherweight although I love the simple but sharp lines of the old metal machines. The marketplace determines the success of these products.
    Thanks for posting this.

these are a couple of favorite things with my 20 yr. old/young (but heavy)BERNINA

No it doesn't have the needle up/down option something I really am missing. I figure I'll just have to get use to it. I really, really like it though. I've never knee lifter option so I don't really miss that! LOL!
    --------------

I have to agree with automatic threader. It takes longer to use that dumb thing than doing it myself. I never use mine and I have it on all my machines.
    clsurz

Walkng into JoAnns last week end with my sewing buddie. She said to me. You have to come and look at the new Singer. I saw. We both bought one. We love it. We are so bad. Now to tell my wonderful DH :-) he bought me another sewing machine.

I bought one (or rather, my husband bought it for me!) from HSN while my beloved Janome was in the hospital. I really do like the machine - it is MUCH heavier than you would think, actually heavier than my Janome. I do miss the needle down function, though, and haven't been able to successfully operate the needle threader yet (yes, I DO use that when able, cuz I have trouble finding the hole!). I've done some paper piecing on the Singer, as well as some regular piecing. It does a good job, has a nice straight stitch, but I don't like the 1/4 foot that came with the machine, so will be looking to upgrade that soon.

Do I like it better than my Janome? In terms of performance, no. But in terms of unusual looks, oh yes. It is very pretty! Makes me want to get a vintage machine!

I have it an it sews really good the only thing is that if you are sewing with blk. Thread it's hard to see but ireally like it. Singer 160

I got it from hsn for 499.00

Oh my, I do believe I'm in love! I just bought a Singer Confidence Quilter and I love it....but maybe I'll give that to my DD and buy this one for me!!!!

Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And for the price it doesn't seem to have many features...apparently no needle up/down or speed control....and not many stitches either. To each their own. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by annasgirl View Post
    Oh my, I do believe I'm in love! I just bought a Singer Confidence Quilter and I love it....but maybe I'll give that to my DD and buy this one for me!!!!
    Gotta say I've been using my new Singer 160 everyday and I just love her and she's soooo pretty too!
    --------------

I'd rather buy two real featherweights for that price!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast