Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Have you seen the 'new' Singer? >

Have you seen the 'new' Singer?

Have you seen the 'new' Singer?

Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Could not agree with you more!!!!! I feel the same about when the cheapy Brothers are bashed (and my guess is by some who have never used one!) Many of us are so happy with them and we still read on here about the expensive machines having problems and no dealer support, etc. We are all entitled to our opinions and choice of machines and you're right - we should all be happy for each other.
How funny! I also own a very, very cheap Brother that has served me very well! LOL! I just love that little machine and it has taken quite a bit of punishment and still kept going.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Candela59 View Post
Why all the venomous negativity about this machine? I just don't get it. Whatever happen to just being polite or the old adage if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all? Obviously there are a few of us idiots who actually liked this machine and even went so far as to purchase it. If you don't like it why not just say "congrats on your new machine and I hope you enjoy it!"??? Is your negative opinion so important to you that you feel you need to express it so bluntly? Honestly....I'm just confused.

I bought this machine. I paid MY money for it not yours. I happen to really like the machine. I like the look and the performance. Why not be happy for me and the others....??? And that is just MHO.
I couldn't agree with you More! Well said! I too have a "cheapy" Brother and found that I can free-motion quilt on it much better than on my expensive Janome. AND I love the Singer. To each his own, but as Grandma used to say and has already been sited here, "If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all!" Seems that quilting/sewing snobbery is alive and well here.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:39 AM

I purchased mine from HSN also on their first release day. I think this machine is quite lovely and I love all of the extras HSN buyers received with it. Shame on me but I haven't used her yet. I am a new quilter and am still learning to sew on the new Brother I purchased last October....but just couldn't pass up the deal on HSN for Singer 160.

Originally Posted by Candela59 View Post
I bought one from HSN earlier this month when they were having a special. I got extra attachments, a gorgeous carry bag and a wonderful book called "Sew Retro". I've made a few small items already and I really love her!!!

I just checked it out on Joann's website. The machine w/o all the extras I got at HSN is $120 more than I paid for everything at HSN! I feel even better about my purchase now!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Ladies.....here is a "cheapy" machine story for you. I am a new beginner quilter. Years ago I sewed clothing for my children (circa 1972-1977) on my Sears Kenmore Model 1217.....truely a workhorse. So when my "quiltaholic" sister finall convinced me last year to take up quilting now that I have retired, I did. She has been doing this for years and has 2 awesome very expensive Janome machines (real beauties), a professional 'huge' embroidery machine and a very nice Bernina she takes to classes.

I have had Rotator Cuff surgery on my right shoulder and told her that unless I got a lighter machine, I would not be able to carry my Kenmore (28+pounds or more) to classes. So we went shopping at the Brother store where I spotted one I really liked and loved the weight of (11-13 pounds)....the CS-6000i. She did not like it and actually succeeded talking me out of it, so I left empty handed. She continued on to classes and such with her heavy Bernina or one of her Janomes......but I stayed home. Then one day I decided what the heck....I wanted a lighter weight machine and went down there and bought it. I LOVE IT!!! She did congratulate me on it and we signed up together for the next class that came our way. The second week of class, she went to the Brother store and purchased her own lightweight Brother machine......a couple of upgrades from mine, but still lighter than her others. Now, unless she 'needs' her heavy Janome or Benina Embroidery machine for classes, she brings her new Brother. I love my Kenmore for tough jobs, my Brother to learn with and I am very happy that I purchased my Singer 160 from HSN. I do believe we will be sharing many days of sewing fun together.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Could not agree with you more!!!!! I feel the same about when the cheapy Brothers are bashed (and my guess is by some who have never used one!) Many of us are so happy with them and we still read on here about the expensive machines having problems and no dealer support, etc. We are all entitled to our opinions and choice of machines and you're right - we should all be happy for each other.