View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 AM
ladypetite

Ladies.....here is a "cheapy" machine story for you. I am a new beginner quilter. Years ago I sewed clothing for my children (circa 1972-1977) on my Sears Kenmore Model 1217.....truely a workhorse. So when my "quiltaholic" sister finall convinced me last year to take up quilting now that I have retired, I did. She has been doing this for years and has 2 awesome very expensive Janome machines (real beauties), a professional 'huge' embroidery machine and a very nice Bernina she takes to classes.

I have had Rotator Cuff surgery on my right shoulder and told her that unless I got a lighter machine, I would not be able to carry my Kenmore (28+pounds or more) to classes. So we went shopping at the Brother store where I spotted one I really liked and loved the weight of (11-13 pounds)....the CS-6000i. She did not like it and actually succeeded talking me out of it, so I left empty handed. She continued on to classes and such with her heavy Bernina or one of her Janomes......but I stayed home. Then one day I decided what the heck....I wanted a lighter weight machine and went down there and bought it. I LOVE IT!!! She did congratulate me on it and we signed up together for the next class that came our way. The second week of class, she went to the Brother store and purchased her own lightweight Brother machine......a couple of upgrades from mine, but still lighter than her others. Now, unless she 'needs' her heavy Janome or Benina Embroidery machine for classes, she brings her new Brother. I love my Kenmore for tough jobs, my Brother to learn with and I am very happy that I purchased my Singer 160 from HSN. I do believe we will be sharing many days of sewing fun together.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Could not agree with you more!!!!! I feel the same about when the cheapy Brothers are bashed (and my guess is by some who have never used one!) Many of us are so happy with them and we still read on here about the expensive machines having problems and no dealer support, etc. We are all entitled to our opinions and choice of machines and you're right - we should all be happy for each other.