Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Links and Resources (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/)
-   -   Pot Holders in Minutes!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/links-resources-f4/pot-holders-minutes-t59918.html)

JudyNH 08-22-2010 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Joeysnana

Originally Posted by JudyNH

Originally Posted by sunrise450
I have made many many of these using 5" squares of fabric. I don't use all the insides that she uses. Just bottom and the four on top. These make perfect little coasters. In minutes you have a set! Magic!

Hi there - I tried your suggestion and made some 5" coasters.....adorable!!!!

Thanks so much for the idea.........I am very new to all this and alternate ideas are much appreciated.......will post pics soon

Judy

did you use any batting?

Nope - just the backing and the 4 overlapped pieces

Judy

Hot Pad & Coasters
[ATTACH=CONFIG]101833[/ATTACH]

sunrise450 08-22-2010 06:05 AM

These are adorable! Now I want to make more for myself and family. Thanks for posting your pictures
Phyllis

JudyNH 08-22-2010 06:21 AM

These are adorable! Now I want to make more for myself and family. Thanks for posting your pictures
Phyllis

It was your idea Phyllis, that gave me the encouragement - I find that the more I "sew" the more confidence I am gaining and I try and learn from each thing I make ...........my next ones will be more even........need to take more of the bulk out.........I am not "policing" myself just trying to be more consistent before I tackle a quilt

Judy

Joeysnana 08-22-2010 03:15 PM

Judy, thanks for the info and picture. Very cute and inspiring!

Evelynquilts 08-22-2010 04:45 PM

Great idea...thanks for sharing... :D

Kaye-Kaye 08-22-2010 05:24 PM

I am internet impaired as I only have dial up available and cannot watch videos. Does anyone know of written directions for these?

tigger5464 08-22-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kaye-Kaye
I am internet impaired as I only have dial up available and cannot watch videos. Does anyone know of written directions for these?

:( Ditto for me :( I too have dial up and can't watch videos :( Hopefully someone can come up with written directions for those of us that are internet impaired :)

wvdek 08-22-2010 06:38 PM

As far as the batting - heat resistant would be equal to Insulbrite. I have read on this board tho to also put a layer of regular cotton batting for added comfort against the heat. If you have no access to Insulbrite, you could double or triple regular cotton batting.
Do not use polyester batting as it does not resist heat and may melt. If it melts onto skin, it could give second or third degree burns.

If no batting is used, I would be very wary of using it with anything hot. The heat could come through the cotton fabric and burn your hand.

I like how big she makes them. Most hotpads are too small for most jobs.
Love the idea of coasters.

BarbZ 08-22-2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by luvin quilting
Can anyone explain how I would put in a tab to hang up the potholder?

I would just put one of the white plastic rings on and hang them that way.

deirdre ann 08-23-2010 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
As far as the batting - heat resistant would be equal to Insulbrite. I have read on this board tho to also put a layer of regular cotton batting for added comfort against the heat. If you have no access to Insulbrite, you could double or triple regular cotton batting.
Do not use polyester batting as it does not resist heat and may melt. If it melts onto skin, it could give second or third degree burns.

If no batting is used, I would be very wary of using it with anything hot. The heat could come through the cotton fabric and burn your hand.

I like how big she makes them. Most hotpads are too small for most jobs.
Love the idea of coasters.

Thanks for that! Some one has told me I could use an old towel, cut to size! Would be a great way of re-cycling them. What do ye think?