Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilted Owl to close

Quilted Owl to close

The Quilted Owl in Jefferson, La (suburb of New Orleans) has announced that it will be closing. Its last day of operation will be March 30. It is a sad day. New Orleans will now only have one quilt shop in the city.

So sad that many different kinds of brick and mortar stores are closing. Small businesses usually can't compete with mega-stores and on line retail.

Sorry to hear about that. We lost our one & only quilt shop in town about 4 years ago. We now have a sewing lounge but she only has a very, very small selection of fabric (& I'm talking small).

Blog Entries
    So sad. We have lost 5 quilt shops around in Northern Indiana in the last 4 or so years. There is another threatening to retire. I try to visit them all and purchase some item, but it takes more then one sale to keep them afloat.

Blog Entries
    It is so sad when they close but the cost of fabric is going to close many more and we have already lost several in this area, I stay out of quilt stores anymore as I only buy what I need as I love fabric and do have a large stash as I use to buy if I liked it and now I can no longer afford to do that and patterns are out of site looked at one in a catalog that I loved, years ago would of sent for it,not now it was 29.00 just for the pattern so sad that this is how things are going

Blog Entries
    We lost Prairie Stitches in Oswego, Illinois in December. It was a beautiful shop and was featured in “Quilt Sampler” magazine a few years ago. Rising prices of fabric is the main culprit which has also led to less young quilters able to afford this delightful hobby. I am very thankful for my fabric but so sad for the loss of yet another great shop.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Closing quilt shops

New shop in Angola, In. Battle Axe, Have you been there? I am from south central Michigan. I see the quilt shop closed in Lagrange. Besides Shipshewana do not know of other shops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
    So sad. We have lost 5 quilt shops around in Northern Indiana in the last 4 or so years. There is another threatening to retire. I try to visit them all and purchase some item, but it takes more then one sale to keep them afloat.

Am so sorry. I have to travel for a good quilt. The 2 shops in Tulsa have closed that I shopped at.

Sorry can't see,....at least for now....hope they get our email access fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobstassi View Post
    The Quilted Owl in Jefferson, La (suburb of New Orleans) has announced that it will be closing. Its last day of operation will be March 30. It is a sad day. New Orleans will now only have one quilt shop in the city.
    They had the best row by row blocks with embroidery panels featuring the local area. Such creative folks! It is my understanding that the owner's husband's business needs her so her time is too torn up. I hope it wasn't because business was bad.... shop was always filled with activity and customers whenever I dropped in.

Sorry to hear. I get their emails since we moved to Georgia. And here, several local shops have just closed. We have one up the street from me and it is great and I know it is a struggle for them. I'm there as much as I can be.
    Alyce