Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Quilter's Slidelock is Back!! >

Quilter's Slidelock is Back!!

Quilter's Slidelock is Back!!

Old 02-20-2024, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by SewBeItQuilts View Post

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Rule Steady, but it is a completely different product and has no direct relationship to the Slidelock. Sure, they are both tools used for cutting fabric, but that is where the similarities end. They are made from different materials, the design is very different, and they are very different form-factors (sizes).

The Slidelock is spring-loaded, the Rule Steady has no springs. The Slidelock uses aerospace spacers to control the force of the handle, the Rule Steady does not. A rotary cutter is used along the edge of the Slidelock, but you should never use the edge of the Rule Steady as a guide for a rotary cutter. The Slidelock is used directly on fabric, the Rule Steady must be used on another ruler.

My original post was simply meant to correct a clearly erroneous statement which could be harmful to others if they were to attempt to use a Slidelock in the manner in which a Rule Steady is used.
Thank you for explaining this. When the Slidelock originally came out, I couldn't understand why people kept saying that they were using it on top of their ruler. It made no sense. Yes, it would the ruler still, but it wasn't going to help hold the fabric still as the ruler would still slip around!

Using the Slidelock properly, butted up against the edge of the ruler and then using it as the cutting guide, absolutely keeps the fabric from slipping at all. You save fabric and time bc there aren't miscuts.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Thank you for explaining this. When the Slidelock originally came out, I couldn't understand why people kept saying that they were using it on top of their ruler. It made no sense. Yes, it would the ruler still, but it wasn't going to help hold the fabric still as the ruler would still slip around!

Using the Slidelock properly, butted up against the edge of the ruler and then using it as the cutting guide, absolutely keeps the fabric from slipping at all. You save fabric and time bc there aren't miscuts.
No problem! I just don't want anyone using the Slidelock improperly and either hurting themselves (we all know how dangerous rotary cutter blades are) or thinking the Slidelock doesn't work because they are putting it on top of another ruler.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by SewBeItQuilts View Post
That makes sense. Pricing at shows is always better since we don't have to pack or ship them.

I've had a few people reach out to me for replacement bumpers on the very first Slidelocks made, so if you ever need any, feel free to reach out and we can send some to you.
replacement bumpers....good to know. thank you!