Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Quilter's Slidelock is Back!! >

Quilter's Slidelock is Back!!

Quilter's Slidelock is Back!!

Old 02-12-2024, 10:32 AM

Default Quilter's Slidelock is Back!!

The Quilter's Slidelock is now available again in 2 sizes at Sew Be It Quilts. I have no connection to this shop, just happened to find this information.
https://sew-be-it-quilts.myshopify.c...lidelock?aff=3
Old 02-12-2024, 02:39 PM

It has been available here too
https://www.fatquartershop.com/24-in...w-be-it-quilts
I really can't believe how much the price has gone up!

I bought it when it first came out...both sizes, bought separately were less than $20.

2019? I think? Not sure about that year
Old 02-14-2024, 05:04 AM

I have the originals, too, from waaay back. Ten years or so? I really don't use the longer one - I usually fold fabric selvage to selvage, then fold again before cutting strips. Even then, honestly, I don't use it very much.

What I was trilled by was that they are making what they are calling Trim Lock. The original designer of these products - an older gentleman, I think, came up with them to help his wife) called them Dragonskinz. I love them for trimming squares.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

It was originally made in Australia Some years later the patent was sold to a man and wife team in the US. He retired and so they weren't made any more. The story of how So Be It came to obtain the patent is on one of their youtube videos. I have the long and short one. I use them every time I cut with my rotary cutter at home. I bought them decades ago from at Nancy Notions when they were an Australian product.I had my first rotary accident and was looking for a safety device. Both of mine are clear not the yellow color. I put mine on top of the ruler as that is how the designer made them. The US couple decided it would market better by not having it on top of the ruler. Works either way. When I first bought mine no one had ever heard of them in my area, not even the quilt shops.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It was originally made in Australia Some years later the patent was sold to a man and wife team in the US. He retired and so they weren't made any more. The story of how So Be It came to obtain the patent is on one of their youtube videos. I have the long and short one. I use them every time I cut with my rotary cutter at home. I bought them decades ago from at Nancy Notions when they were an Australian product.I had my first rotary accident and was looking for a safety device. Both of mine are clear not the yellow color. I put mine on top of the ruler as that is how the designer made them. The US couple decided it would market better by not having it on top of the ruler. Works either way. When I first bought mine no one had ever heard of them in my area, not even the quilt shops.
This is not accurate. The Slidelock was not created in Australia and was never sold or patented in Australia. The item you describe (which sits on top of a ruler) is a completely different product with a completely different method of use. The Slidelock was first introduced in commerce in the US in 2015. Had it been created, sold, or used in Australia first, it would not have been eligible for patent protection in the US. The original inventors of the Slidelock are an American couple from whom I purchased the patent. We have since re-engineered the design to improve its functionality and reliability.

Source: I'm an attorney who deals with Intellectual Property issues and I own the Slidelock patent.

Last edited by SewBeItQuilts; 02-19-2024 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
It has been available here too
https://www.fatquartershop.com/24-in...w-be-it-quilts
I really can't believe how much the price has gone up!

I bought it when it first came out...both sizes, bought separately were less than $20.

2019? I think? Not sure about that year
In 2019, the retail price was $59.99 for the 24" and $44.99 for the 14". Today, the retail prices are $64.99 and $49.99. Due to the cost of everything going up due to Covid, the cost to produce the Slidelocks went up. We do our best to keep costs as low as possible, but we also have a commitment to use only parts made, manufactured, and sold by US companies, and we make everything by hand in Texas.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SewBeItQuilts View Post
In 2019, the retail price was $59.99 for the 24" and $44.99 for the 14". Today, the retail prices are $64.99 and $49.99. Due to the cost of everything going up due to Covid, the cost to produce the Slidelocks went up. We do our best to keep costs as low as possible, but we also have a commitment to use only parts made, manufactured, and sold by US companies, and we make everything by hand in Texas.
I bought both sizes at a quilt show when they first came out. Must have been 2015 then. Can't believe so much time has passed since then. Still use them both, and still really like them.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
I bought both sizes at a quilt show when they first came out. Must have been 2015 then. Can't believe so much time has passed since then. Still use them both, and still really like them.
That makes sense. Pricing at shows is always better since we don't have to pack or ship them.

I've had a few people reach out to me for replacement bumpers on the very first Slidelocks made, so if you ever need any, feel free to reach out and we can send some to you.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

The original inventors of the Slidelock are an American couple from whom I purchased the patent.

I"m not saying you don't own the patent. Or that the ones sold in the US are not original. I'm saying I ordered one from Australia in late 90's or early 2000's, don't remember. Looks just like the ones sold later here. I have the US and Australia versions. I'm glad they are being made again no matter who is making them.
Old 02-19-2024, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The original inventors of the Slidelock are an American couple from whom I purchased the patent.

I"m not saying you don't own the patent. Or that the ones sold in the US are not original. I'm saying I ordered one from Australia in late 90's or early 2000's, don't remember. Looks just like the ones sold later here. I have the US and Australia versions. I'm glad they are being made again no matter who is making them.
I understand what you are saying and you are unequivocally wrong. The Rule Steady, the product to which you are referring and is made in Australia, is a completely different product and it is dangerous for you to claim it is the same as the Slidelock; if someone where to try to use a Slidelock on top of another ruler, as the Rule Steady is used, they would very likely seriously injure themselves.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Rule Steady, but it is a completely different product and has no direct relationship to the Slidelock. Sure, they are both tools used for cutting fabric, but that is where the similarities end. They are made from different materials, the design is very different, and they are very different form-factors (sizes).

The Slidelock is spring-loaded, the Rule Steady has no springs. The Slidelock uses aerospace spacers to control the force of the handle, the Rule Steady does not. A rotary cutter is used along the edge of the Slidelock, but you should never use the edge of the Rule Steady as a guide for a rotary cutter. The Slidelock is used directly on fabric, the Rule Steady must be used on another ruler.

My original post was simply meant to correct a clearly erroneous statement which could be harmful to others if they were to attempt to use a Slidelock in the manner in which a Rule Steady is used.