Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Quilting Fabric in Dallas on Harry Hines and Perth? >

Quilting Fabric in Dallas on Harry Hines and Perth?

Quilting Fabric in Dallas on Harry Hines and Perth?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM

Default Quilting Fabric in Dallas on Harry Hines and Perth?

Dallas has some wonderful fabric outlets on Harry Hines and also on Perth, just off of Harry Hines. I have shopped there many times, but only for fashion fabric.

There are several stores there. Does anybody shop there for quilting fabric? Recommendations, please.

Thanks---

Donna (Just north of Dallas in McKinney)
Old 03-17-2014, 07:04 PM

The one I know of is called Golden D'or (not sure of spelling). I have never been there, but hope to some day when I am in the area.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:45 AM

I live in Keller and would like to know some of the names on Harry Hines, if you could share. I have not heard of a quilt fabric outlet. I wish they did have one. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:33 AM

We have visited some English friends - who did live in Keller - off Rufe Snow - but recently moved to Grapevine, so needed to find some nice shops nearby. Went to Quilter's Dream on Colleyville Blvd - lovely shop and met some ladies who were doing a Dear Jane Quilt and Lone Star House of Quilts in Arlington - also very nice - and very friendly. Wish we had such choice here in the UK. We didn't find any shops in Dallas - but did find a very nice one in Plano - but I cannot remember the name.
Also, of course JoAnne's and Hobby Lobby !
I really hope to visit again !
Old 03-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Default Harry Hines fabric

Originally Posted by donnamcr View Post
Dallas has some wonderful fabric outlets on Harry Hines and also on Perth, just off of Harry Hines. I have shopped there many times, but only for fashion fabric.

There are several stores there. Does anybody shop there for quilting fabric? Recommendations, please.

Thanks---

I have been shopping there for years. Golden D'or is huge and has every kind of fabric you'd ever want. When inside, look for the sign that says "cotton"--that's where you want to be. They also have many Minky designs for a reasonable price. They have quilting cotton in all sorts of styles. Don't expect to buy all you need for a quilt there. A lot of it is "hit or miss". Probably over runs. They may have three or four from a single line, but not all the fabrics in the line. Over on Perth Street, I like C & C (or is it C & S??). They have lots of cotton--mostly novelty. Both places are $4-6 per yard with a few exceptions. There are several other stores along Perth, but they have mostly home dec/upholstery fabric. Some are satin/silk/lacy for gowns and wedding dresses. I like to roam around in all of them because you can sometimes find some interesting trims, buttons, notions, etc. It's worth the trip, especially for backings.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM

I shop the fabric stores in the Harry Hines area of Dallas quite often. My favorite store is the Golden D'or Fabric Store because it is the largest of the stores and has a better selection. It has just about any type of fabric you could want as well as decorative notions and trim. Prices are reasonable and service is great. However, the other fabric shops in the area also have nice fabric sales and notions but a smaller selection. If you go, you need to so when you are not in a big hurry and have plenty of time to shop.

And, while you are on Harry you might also want to go a mile or so up and check out the oriental import shops. They offer top of the line costume jewelry, watches, perfume, jewelry findings, beads, purses, luggage and much more at really great prices. Some stores will require a sales tax certificate but most do not. Even my husband enjoys going to these shops with me as you never know what they are going to have.

Hope you get to go soon because you really should enjoy it.

Last edited by BETTY62; 03-18-2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Definitely go to Golden d'or - just be sure to handle the fabrics and make your judgement on that just like at Joanns. Sign up for their mailing list, they have several good sales each year.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Sale at Golden d'or

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
Definitely go to Golden d'or - just be sure to handle the fabrics and make your judgement on that just like at Joanns. Sign up for their mailing list, they have several good sales each year.
I just my email with a 25% off coupon for this week-end.
If someone wants to sign up for mailer, they may be able to go to:
[email protected]
Maybe it's to late for this sale, but she may be able to get you on the next sale.
It also has a 10% off the back room. This is where lots of fabric are for $1.00 per yd and up.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 PM

I shopped at Golden D'or many times and it had a great selection of high-end fashion fabric. Another favorite for fashion fabric was Wherehouse Fabric Outlet on Perth Street, just off Harry Hines. I never shopped there for quilting fabric. But from my previous trips, I can make the following recommendations.

Do go early, and intend to spend a lot of time. And don't dress up. Some of the stores are dusty, and a few have large fans rather than air conditioning. Jeans, shorts, capris, etc. are the order of the day.

Most of the fabric stores on Harry Hines and Perth streets close at 5 pm or even 4:30. On Saturday, some used to close at noon. Most are closed on Sunday.

Do not stay in the neighborhood after dark. I can recommend Mama's Daughters' Diner No.2, at the corner of Harry Hines and Royal Lane for lunch. It is locally popular and serves home-made pies.

Warmest Regards,

Donna
Old 03-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Fabric stores

Golden D'or is a great fabric store for quilting. They even have a discount section filled with all kinds of fabric.
Originally Posted by donnamcr View Post

Thanks---