Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quiltworks Store-Houston-Closing

Quiltworks Store-Houston-Closing

Took a quick trip to Houston for my DH woodworking show. While he visited with the plaid-shirt guys, I snuck off to go shopping! My first stop was Quiltworks in northwest Houston. Has anyone been there? The website promised a great selection of fabric, notions and Accuquilt dies. Shocked to find out that they are in the throes of a 35% going-out-of-business clearance sale. I have witnessed many of my favorite shops go under and It makes me sick. It looked like a nice place in a high traffic area. The owner told me that their best, loyal customers lost everything in Hurricane Harvey and the store never recovered from that. It breaks my heart to see quilt stores selling everything including display racks. It's an equally difficult reminder that the financial devastation affected so many peple and businesses for so long.

Sad to hear....
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

Blog Entries
    We have lost some favorites too. Latest is Erica's...it has been around forever it seems! Part of the problem is the increasing cost of fabric. It is a very expensive hobby and that coupled with how many women work today, quilters are a dying breed. I have a group of friends who love to do our own "shop hops"...we have lost some really good ones in Illinois. Fulton, Ill closed due to health issues...it was so much fun to go there. Pumpkin Vine in Indiana is closing. Erica just announced they are closing...we stop there on our way to the Quilt Festival in Shipshewana, Indiana every year.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I live very close to Quiltworks and while it's sad they are closing, it's not really a surprise to me. I used to go there occasionally to buy fabric. They were never very friendly or helpful to me. I know others said the same.

Next time you are in Houston, check out Quilter's Crossing on Main St in Tomball. My guild has a lot of functions there. They have a great selection of fabrics, patterns, notions and a wonderful helpful staff. It's my new favorite LQS
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini

Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
    We have lost some favorites too. Latest is Erica's...it has been around forever it seems! Part of the problem is the increasing cost of fabric. It is a very expensive hobby and that coupled with how many women work today, quilters are a dying breed. I have a group of friends who love to do our own "shop hops"...we have lost some really good ones in Illinois. Fulton, Ill closed due to health issues...it was so much fun to go there. Pumpkin Vine in Indiana is closing. Erica just announced they are closing...we stop there on our way to the Quilt Festival in Shipshewana, Indiana every year.
    Pumpkin Vine has been trying to find a buyer for quite awhile but it still surprised me when I heard they were closing but not as shocked to hear about Erica's! They just celebrated 44 years!! I'll really miss them.

Luvs, if you are going to the Shipshewana Quilt Festival, let me know if you want to meet up as I live in the area.
    Sue

I will miss Quiltworks also. I spent many a fun afternoon there choosing fabrics.

However, it is nice to have Pinwheels and Posies on I45 South back. They were closed due to damage from Harvey and just recently reopened. They have a fantastic selection of fabrics and kits and super friendly staff that are really helpful.

Well... sometimes proprietors get tired of the day to day running of a shop and choose a downturn as an opportunity to close up. Most likely she was ready, anyway. I agree tho, it is sad. I still haven't gotten over all the Hancocks Fabrics closing. I feel like I grew up and raised my kids in those stores.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think SewBizGirl is right on target. Our small rural county supports 3 LQS, two only close one day a week (Sunday) and the other 3 days a week. Two do long arm quilting in addition to a full line of fabrics and notions. All 3 also sell on-line. My friend owns one of them and I know that she puts in 10 hrs min. days and often she works on Sundays even though the shop is closed. Being a small retail shop is long hours and hard work and very tiring. I can totally see those that have been in business for 15+ yrs just wanting a break.