Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Security at work: Safety rules in the sewing/quilting room >

Security at work: Safety rules in the sewing/quilting room

Security at work: Safety rules in the sewing/quilting room

Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 PM

For me - I need to wear shoes in my sewing room. Every so often I find a pin on the floor and I do not want to find it in my foot. When I was 10 I sewed my left index finger - so I am good at keeping my fingers out of the way. An I prefer to use the Clover clips or glue over pins. But have had a needle break and go flying, luckily I do wear glasses but agree it may be something to consider for those who do not wear glasses.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
While taking a class, I was asked if there was something wrong with the light on my sewing machine. I was turning off my sewing machine after each time I sewed in the class. At home whenever I leave the machine (even to iron) the machine is turned off. I guess every time the instructor glanced at my machine, it was off and light wasn't on. I explained that I was used to sewing with animals and small children under foot and didn't want anyone "sewing" on their own. So I started this safety habit AND didn't even know I was doing it. The instructor laughed and said this was fine as long as my machine was not computerized (which it isn't). She said the many on/off's may cause the machine to loose its settings.

Thanks for the reminders to be safe. My bad habit is that I sew over pins. I am working to change this one!
My machine has an on-screen lock function that keeps it from sewing esp when changing needles. I fear my dog standing on my pedal if I am in the middle of fiddling with the needle. Comes in handy.

sandy
Old 12-31-2015, 04:24 AM

Thanks for posting. A good reminder to us all!!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
When I had cats, I would set my cold iron on the floor. Did not want them knocking it off the ironing board.

Some cats are more "into things" than others. One of my cats LOVED to get at the thread on my machines. Even when they were covered. Thread is not good for cats.
No cats, but I recently had an iron mishap. I use a board (mdf) with padding which I lay at the end of my bed, adjacent to my machine, so I can quickly press seams while piecing. I leave my iron sitting on the board while I'm using it but when finished I unplug it and place it on the floor. Last week I was changing clothes and, unthinking, sat down on the end of the bed, next to the board. The mattress sank down, the board tilted a bit and the hot iron fell against my bare hip (I had on underwear but not pants). I now have a thin curved (healed) burn line, not bad, as a reminder not to be so stupid or careless!

Injuries while sewing come in all forms, I've learned. Over the years I've gotten my thumb under the needle (didn't penetrate but damaged the nail bed), caused bleeding from pins and needles more times than I can count, and broken a few machine needles (none in the eye, thank goodness!), and have now burned my butt with the iron! Do I win?

Last edited by Friday1961; 12-31-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I sat on a needle a couple weeks ago. Luckily, it had about 5 inches of thread on it. It was a darning needle. It was such that I had to have DH pull it out. Had it not been for the thread, I would have had to go to the ER to remove it. I sat then scooted just that quick. I did have a dr appointment the next day and got a tetanus shot. The thread was the same color as the cushion on my chair.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:55 AM

Thank you for thinking of all of us. These are great tips and reminders .
Old 12-31-2015, 03:01 PM

I know a lot of quilters who sew barefoot and it makes me nervous. One of the quilters in my old guild ended going to the hospital to have a pin removed. It had entered in her foot and traveled up to her back.

I also have to remember to move my hand away from the needle when I'm sewing. I have become one with a couple of my machines, including my Innova. I try to use a stiletto to guide the fabric in my DSMs, but it's a little hard with the LA. Luckily, none of these incidents required a visit to the ER.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM

Thank you for posting this warning. So sorry you were hurt, but very glad you are OK.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 PM

So far no serious injuries here, but I have had a broken sewing machine needle hit my glasses. I hunt for that piece of broken needle until I find it. I had a niece got a needle jammed inside her foot and had to have surgery to remove it. I only recently got a F & P Klutz glove. I was concerned about cutting those HST for the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. I went to put a straight pin in my mouth yesterday, and really told myself that was bad and just plain stupid. I have two dogs that have to be right by me when I am sewing. Ralph has laid over right on the foot pedal before. I have just started using a stiletto to hold fabric near the presser foot. Maybe it is just getting older and wiser, but I don't want to end up at the emergency room and more surgery.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:19 AM

Yeah, I'd say a "burnt butt" trumps everything