Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing a security pocket to avoid pick pockets >

Sewing a security pocket to avoid pick pockets

Sewing a security pocket to avoid pick pockets

Old 10-01-2010, 05:01 AM

Remember the Brownie moto "Be Prepared"

I thought I'd show you what I did this morning. We are preparing to visit Rome and we heard that pick pockets take advantage of travellers. So, have a look at the pockets I sewed into our jeans.

I made a little tutorial for this because I couldn't quite find one. So I just documented a few pictures of what I did.

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...e-pockets.html
Attached Thumbnails attachment-106273.jpe  
Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Google Goddess

cute idea, have fun on your trip
Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Good idea. Looks effective.

Wish more women's clothing was adaptable to this idea.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Great idea. That should stop the pick pockets.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:32 AM

Glad you are taking precautions. I was robbed in Rome without knowing it. This I might add happened outside the Vatican, so nowhere is sacred. Take care, but have a wonderful time. So much to see and so many wonderful sights
Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sall
Glad you are taking precautions. I was robbed in Rome without knowing it. This I might add happened outside the Vatican, so nowhere is sacred. Take care, but have a wonderful time. So much to see and so many wonderful sights
When I was there, someone got pickpocketed while touring IN the Vatican. I couldn't believe it.

I wore a fannypack in Rome and while in Barcelona which is also very bad for pick pockets. I always kept the pouch that held everything in front and rested my hands on it. It was convenient, easy and I always knew where my valuables were. It worked for me. Rome was wonderful. As long as you stay aware of your surroundings I am sure you will have a great time. Places that are especially rumored to have a lot of pick pockets are around Trevi fountain. Also watch out for strangers trying to give you flowers. It is a scam to try and get the gentleman to drop his guard and dip into his pocket to hand the flower giver a euro or something. They then watch where he puts his money and it is gone in a wink. They are so good at it they can empty your pocket without you even knowing they did it. Most victims don't realize until someone comments their pocket is turned inside out.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM
tmw

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
Remember the Brownie moto "Be Prepared"

I thought I'd show you what I did this morning. We are preparing to visit Rome and we heard that pick pockets take advantage of travellers. So, have a look at the pockets I sewed into our jeans.

I made a little tutorial for this because I couldn't quite find one. So I just documented a few pictures of what I did.

http://quilt-knit-run-sew.blogspot.c...e-pockets.html
you can also make a llittle pouch to hide your money, to put inside your bras. i'am going to try this, next time i travel.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 PM

My DIL used to be a travel agent, and said that her customers always were given little bags with shoelace type cords to stick under their shirts. And said the men should either use them or put their wallets in their FRONT pockets. But the neck bags were the safest, with inside pockets in jackets second, especially if they had buttons or zips. Some travel companies have done just that and have a good business making such garmets.

One old man I knew said that while touring other countries, he had his wife sew some small fish hooks in his pants pockets, and while he never felt anything in crowds, he would carefully open his pockets at night and take out tiny bits of human flesh!!! All the while being very, very careful not to put his hands in his own pockets!!

Do not ever put money, passports or anything in purses that you can not affored to lose, they can be stolen so fast that it is a good way to make a living in other countries.

Keep cameras tied to you some way or other, usually on a cord around your neck. And a belt safe is good but should only be accessed in a rest room..it's a regular looking belt with an inside zipper pocket. And of course, never, ever count money in public, that is just urging someone to steal it from you.

On the other hand, masses of people have safely toured other countries with no trouble at all. Have fun.