Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Seminole patchwork

Blog Entries

Seminole patchwork

Very interesting article on Seminole patchwork;

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...-appropriation
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Very interesting. I had no idea that the patchwork designated as Seminole originated from the actual Indians themselves.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    I wore Seminole patchwork clothes as a little girl. One of my grandmothers was Seminole, so it really was “Seminole patchwork” but as a child I just loved all the color. .
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Thank for the article. Very interesting.

According to this article in Quilter's Review: https://www.quiltersreview.com/semin...chwork-quilts/ Native Americans did not make patchwork prior to being introduced to it by Europeans. They did develop the distinctive style that is known as Seminole and also the distinctive Molas, which are a reverse applique technique made by San Blas Island natives in Panama. Both were and are used in clothing articles rather than quilts. There may be others that I don't know about. I believe the righteous indignation cited in the NPR article is a bit misplaced, though I do agree that Seminole clothing should not be imitated for profit because they are distinctive to those tribal people and have symbolic meaning. I wish they had a picture of the Donna Karan item it mentions that is in blacks and browns. In those colors it doesn't seem to be that similar to the native designs. If you look at the patches themselves, they are mostly squares, diamonds, 4-patches, and so on, and nobody has a copyright on those basic shapes. If you make a quilt with Seminole techniques, you might mention that in describing your quilt, but it's not "stealing" in any sense of the word, any more than it's stealing if you make a 4-patch or other traditional quilt similar to one my own grandmother may have made. Almost without exception every pattern you see is derived from an earlier form. Where you cross the line into stealing is when your work is so much like someone else's that it might be mistaken for theirs, especially if you're exploiting it for commercial purposes. Maybe that's what happened with the DKNY clothing mentioned in that article, but it isn't entirely convincing without pictures for comparison.

On the other hand, when I see imported, cheaply mass produced quilts imitating those that our ancestors made lovingly, one at a time, it does set off a bit of resentment, and I can relate to the feeling expressed by the sculptor in that article. However, using the word "patchwork" as if her people invented that is simply wrong.
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Nicely written, Rose.