Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
The Splendid Sampler >

The Splendid Sampler

The Splendid Sampler

Old 01-20-2016, 03:10 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
ctyankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.
Posts: 2,580
Default

This is exciting & I signed up. Hope I can keep up, though, since there are sooooo many BOMs out there now & I have my eye on one or 3. Why do they all have to start now? But thanks for the info!
ctyankee is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 05:46 PM
  #22  
Super Member
 
dakotamaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South central Nebraska, US
Posts: 5,367
Default

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Sounds like we have finally tired of Dear Jane and Farmers Wife.
Nope still looking forward to my Dear Jane, just need to get other things out of the way.
dakotamaid is offline  
Old 01-21-2016, 04:40 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 873
Default

Originally Posted by NannaL View Post
You need 30 to 35 fat quarters, blocks are 6" and the largest piece used is 6 inches. It is a closed group so you have to join its free. Starting date is 14th February Valentines Day. That's the only info given out and the moment.

Just pick from your stash lights, mediums and darks and a neutral in either scrappy or your favourite colour combo.
Hope this helps.
Actually this helps a lot. I am always hesitant to start something like this, takes me a month of Sundays to pick material. Going to try, even if I work full time. I signed up. Though a closed group, will people still be following here as well?
AnngelAnne is offline  
Old 02-11-2016, 11:52 AM
  #24  
CRO
Senior Member
 
CRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 305
Default

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I have a question....If you have to buy your fabric over the course of the year because they don't give you a materials list, how much should you buy of your sort of "main" fabric to start off with to be sure you have enough to tie all the blocks together throughout the whole year? Or not something to worry about?

Watson
Watson they said approximately 30-35 fat quarters and a yard or more of back ground fabric. Here is the link with the fabric they are using and the suggested yardage. http://www.thesplendidsampler.com/20...ric-and-tools/

I have never done anything like this before but have signed up and bought my fabric. I have never done PP, English PP, embroidery, and very little applique. I am nervous but excited to learn these new techniques.
I am sure I won't be able to keep up with 2 blocks a week with the new to me techniques, but I will be downloading them and plod along at my own pace.
CRO is offline  
Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 873
Default

Originally Posted by CRO View Post
Watson they said approximately 30-35 fat quarters and a yard or more of back ground fabric. Here is the link with the fabric they are using and the suggested yardage. http://www.thesplendidsampler.com/20...ric-and-tools/

I have never done anything like this before but have signed up and bought my fabric. I have never done PP, English PP, embroidery, and very little applique. I am nervous but excited to learn these new techniques.
I am sure I won't be able to keep up with 2 blocks a week with the new to me techniques, but I will be downloading them and plod along at my own pace.
Me too CRO, I work full time, plus the usual doctors, housework, all the stuff a person needs to do, I am apt to fall behind quickly, but want to do the best I can, at my pace also as I think this will be fun. I have put a finger into trying different techniques, but doing them together and learning from everyone will definitely help with the confidence level of actually doing it myself. Can't wait to get started.
AnngelAnne is offline  
Old 02-12-2016, 09:44 PM
  #26  
CRO
Senior Member
 
CRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 305
Default

AnngelAnne I also work full time and have a farm with a lot of chores to be done every day. I can fit in a couple hrs on my day off, and little to none in the summer.
Maybe we can encourage each other along this path. I don't plan on giving up. Just may be the one that posts their picture of the completed quilt in 2017.
CRO is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:35 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 873
Default

Originally Posted by CRO View Post
AnngelAnne I also work full time and have a farm with a lot of chores to be done every day. I can fit in a couple hrs on my day off, and little to none in the summer.
Maybe we can encourage each other along this path. I don't plan on giving up. Just may be the one that posts their picture of the completed quilt in 2017.
Well, Cro, you won't be the only one posting that late, I don't get where the day off comes from, I was a farm girl too and it was difficult fitting in a lot of things, lol. You are something for sure. Yes, lets kept encouraging along this interesting path of learning. I don't plan on giving up either.
AnngelAnne is offline  
Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 AM
  #28  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,018
Default

I signed up for this too, but I'm a bit disappointed in the first three offerings...maybe not my style..so I have not done any, but am saving in case I decide to start. Do you like the blocks offered so far?
Geri B is offline  
Old 02-28-2016, 07:44 AM
  #29  
CRO
Senior Member
 
CRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 305
Default

Geri B for me this is about learning new techniques. The small pieces have been hard, but I am getting better working with them. I've never done embroidery before, and am thankful it is just small amounts so it doesn't overwhelm me when I see the blocks with it.
I'm enjoying it so far. My favorite was block 1. I have done very little applique and it was a big enough piece I didn't struggle too much.
CRO is offline  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:07 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 873
Default

Originally Posted by CRO View Post
Geri B for me this is about learning new techniques. The small pieces have been hard, but I am getting better working with them. I've never done embroidery before, and am thankful it is just small amounts so it doesn't overwhelm me when I see the blocks with it.
I'm enjoying it so far. My favorite was block 1. I have done very little applique and it was a big enough piece I didn't struggle too much.

I know I sound selfish, but I like knowing someone is struggling along with me. Small pieces have definitely been an effort. Bu I find they are no different for me than big pieces except harder to handle and sew. No matter how much squaring off I do and how careful I cut, it just doesn't want to come out straight. Number 4 block so far is the toughest, such tiny circles and I don't applique well, but I will continue as I learn things, different ways of doing stuff too. Hopefully will finish up 4 tonight and then get 5 done.
AnngelAnne is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tesspug
Pictures
31
06-25-2016 06:42 PM
tesspug
Pictures
32
05-20-2016 03:58 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.