Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Vintage Sewing Machines (Helpful Information) >

Vintage Sewing Machines (Helpful Information)

Vintage Sewing Machines (Helpful Information)

Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 AM

here's the pic of my machine

Front View
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74339[/ATTACH]

Cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74340[/ATTACH]

Drawers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74341[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74334.jpe   attachment-74335.jpe   attachment-74336.jpe   attachment-74337.jpe   attachment-74338.jpe  

attachment-74339.jpe  
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinkypig
here's the pic of my machine
If you can get the numbers off of it if it has them I can tell you what year it was made. The machine was sold by Sears and if you go to their archives you can find out some information about it.

http://searsarchives.com/history/questions/sewing.htm

Billy
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 AM

Several folks suggested I email you regarding the problem I'm having with my new Featherweight that won't sew. I bought it on EBay, the listing said it works perfectly having just been serviced, but even out of the box it didn't sew. We searched for his phone number, called him and he gave some instructions for tightening the clutch, etc. The needle did go up and down then.

Yesterday was the first time I tried sewing with it and it won't stitch. It appears it is stitching but just long threads are there, no stitches. I've threaded and unthreaded it 100 time with the manual right in front of me. I've loaded and unloaded the bobbin and even tried taking the needle out and putting it back, still no stitches.

Any ideas on what it could be Billy? I hate getting in a long and drawn out battle with the seller, EBay and PayPal and I've hesitated to file a complaint until he gets back to me but he hasn't yet.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Roberta
Several folks suggested I email you regarding the problem I'm having with my new Featherweight that won't sew. I bought it on EBay, the listing said it works perfectly having just been serviced, but even out of the box it didn't sew. We searched for his phone number, called him and he gave some instructions for tightening the clutch, etc. The needle did go up and down then.

Yesterday was the first time I tried sewing with it and it won't stitch. It appears it is stitching but just long threads are there, no stitches. I've threaded and unthreaded it 100 time with the manual right in front of me. I've loaded and unloaded the bobbin and even tried taking the needle out and putting it back, still no stitches.

Any ideas on what it could be Billy? I hate getting in a long and drawn out battle with the seller, EBay and PayPal and I've hesitated to file a complaint until he gets back to me but he hasn't yet.
This looks like a job for Cabinquilter!! She is the resident FW expert by far. PM her and ask her whats going on. she can have you up and running in a few minutes. I havent messed with the FW's to the point of knowing them from top to bottom but she eats,sleeps and lives the FW!!

Billy
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM

Since I can't figure out how to search in a thread I'll ask my question here. The New Home VSIIB I'm restoring has a bobbin winder "rubber" wheel. It touches the handwheel to spin.

The material is like an old shiny eraser now. No friction. I can't unscrew it to put a new one on. What do I do? Without a new ring the machine is unable to wind bobbins.

I love this thread. It has taught me a lot. So, good people, what are your suggestions?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan
Since I can't figure out how to search in a thread I'll ask my question here. The New Home VSIIB I'm restoring has a bobbin winder "rubber" wheel. It touches the handwheel to spin.

The material is like an old shiny eraser now. No friction. I can't unscrew it to put a new one on. What do I do? Without a new ring the machine is unable to wind bobbins.

I love this thread. It has taught me a lot. So, good people, what are your suggestions?
Replace the bobbin tire with a new one. I have tons of them so if you need one just PM me.

Billy
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Billy, you are a blessing! My hubby is busy cleaning up my old Faultless machine and I can hardly wait to sew with it... It may be a while before it's ready, and it may need parts replaced, etc. But I'm so excited!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM

Does anyone know where I can find more info on a National Rotary Model R40?

I'm hoping to bring it home from my mom's someday soon. I did try the national website and didn't really find anything.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

Check the Smithsonian and ISMACS, here are the links......

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...wing-Machines/

http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

Billy