Walmart fabric

Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
I was in Wal mart after Christmas looking for fleece with penguins and found a 10 yard bolt marked $4.47 so I bought it and it rang up $2.50 a yard, yea, but not knowing how many kids would be in the class (my granddaughter's classes are small for she is special needs)I knew 10 yards would not be enough for I'm making each a throw. Last Friday night I was buying groceries and went into the fabric dept looking for something to make pillowcases for my guild, we are doing a project all year for a children hospital, and guess what I found. YES, another bolt of the same fleece, penguins. I asked the clerk to check the price, she said it's $4.47. She scanned it, oh no she said, it $2.50, I'll take all 10 yards, thank you very much. You see the other parents, grandparents don't do anything for these kids, I love all these kids, and don't care what color their skin is, Isabella is one of three white one and there is four black ones. Some have autism and don't speak, Isabella is delayed so she does talk and walk, so we are very grateful for what she can do. Like I said I love these kids. Some of these won't be in her class this coming up Christmas but some will and I got a Penguin party planned. Thanks for listening to me.
May God bless you. Children are so precious in His sight.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I'm thankful we have a walmart in Calallen and Flour Bluff (suburbs of Corpus Christi)and 3 in Corpus Christ. That's 5 within 30 minutes of where I live. One is practically in my backyard. I like to be able to feel the fabric.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:00 AM

I think half of my stash is from WalMart's. I'm helping a friend make her first quilt -we finally got down to the binding. The Waverly batik from WM was sold out so we took a piece to JoAnn's they had it But it was $13 a yd -on sale. Was only $5 at WM. We only needed 1/2yd but with every flip of the bolt it was flawed. We found something else and it she likes it better. At WM Beware of what they call Promotional Fabrics They look so pretty but when you look at the end of the board it says '''Contents Unknown''' and a lot of it states not suitable for children's clothing. The clerk said she has never sold any of it and it all gets returned to distributor.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 AM

It is not just walmart that has some cheap fabric like seconds fabric stores like joann's has some too that is why I like to feel the fabric
Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 AM

I was in mine four weeks ago and they were putting out a new shipment and it sure looked pretty. Started getting my eyes done so haven't had a chance to get back.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
Walmart sells a dog print fat quarter. Not unusual, right?

This particular fat quarter has, among other breeds. a BASENJI!!! Do you know how rare that is?

I did a little research and cannot find this fabric sold by the yard anywhere, so
I buy whatever fat quarters of that print that they have whenever I'm there. About once a month
Last count, I have 90 fat quarters. I can get 4 basenjis from each fat quarter, and just donated a table runner to the breed rescue.

I don't complain about Walmart, they fill a niche.

Walmart used to have tables of $1 yd fabric, some of exceptional quality. They don't have those anymore, too bad
If it weren't for Walmart and their $1 tables, and remnants, my stash would be sad indeed. As long as it said 100% cotton, and I could not see through it, I bought it. Thank goodness I did. DH is now on disability, and I am ever so thankful for all the fabrics I already own, because we can't afford to buy any at current prices. (except for the occasional "MSQC daily special).
About half of my stash was purchased at $1 per yard over the course of the last nine years.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:17 AM

And Walmart.com has basting spray at a great price! Less expensive than JAF even with 50% coupon! I just have it shipped to local store to eliminate any shipping fees...
Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

I recently bought Waverly fabric. Some were solids and some were dots. All felt heavenly and they look great. At $2.97 a yard, it is a bargain. I am not a big fan of the Walton family but I do shop there when I can't find it anywhere else.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Walmart sells craft fabric and quilting fabric. They are usually mixed all together on the shelf. I think the ones that hate Walmart fabric buy the craft fabric. It's not Walmart's fault if someone doesn't know the difference. I buy the craft fabric for totes, potholders, placemats, etc.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 AM

I've never looked for fabric online at WalMart. Regina, you've got a very soft heart! That granddaughter and the other kids are really lucky.