Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
yet again another fmq invention! >

yet again another fmq invention!

yet again another fmq invention!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
LOL! another invention for fmq and she doesn't demo it while the machine is sewing I can move my quilts very easily like that to without the machine running http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/6239
I wouldn't have thought of that, but you're right, she should have had the machine running !
Old 01-11-2014, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I use two over sized erasers i got at the $tree. My hands are so small, that I cannot get gloves sall enough to use them. I tried the quilting gloves and the gardening gloves they were way too big. Someone on this board suggested the erasers, and they work great.
Why not alter the gloves, if you find a set you like? A small hem along the sides and shorten the fingers.
I have the opposite problem. I have very long fingers, so I have a lot of trouble finding gloves as well.

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
[I] saw them at the Quilting Expo and thought they were cool, but a bit pricey. I explained the texture of the foam to my SO, and he brought back a bunch of the same stuff from his hunting range(don't know what they use it for). This stuff works GREAT!!! I was why given a pair of Machingers to use since then, and after 45 minutes my wrists broke out in a rash. I don't usually have sensitive skin to anything, but who knows. Anyway, I recommend the Bats!!!
Machingers are latex based. I can't use them either, same reason. Perhaps you have a sensitivity to latex?

How are these Bats different than the ones with the frogs on the labels (I can't remember what they're called)? Besides shape and color? Perhaps there are other less expensive commercial options too.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
LOL! another invention for fmq and she doesn't demo it while the machine is sewing I can move my quilts very easily like that to without the machine running http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/blog.php/blog_id/6239
I agree! To be really convincing why doesn't she demonstrate the use of these with the machine running? Don't know how much they cost but there are other, perhaps less expensive tools for this......without seeing a full demonstration, how do we know?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I use rubber palmed garden gloves and they work great....
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

I like how the Machingers fit. I have small hands and the gloves fit like second skin. I can handle pins, snip, thread my machine needle and change bobbins without taking them off. Garden and cleaning gloves are too utility for me.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM

I got some of these at a garage sale in a bag with a lot of quilting notions. The bag had never been opened. They aren't new because this was probably 5 years ago. I just tried them a couple of weeks ago. They do work, but no better than the $1 garden gloves from $1 store. I cut the ends of the fingers off and they work great.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:09 AM

I happen to have a DVD of hers and she does use those things with the machine running. She does some amazing quilting, too. That said, I think there are substitutes you could use. I don't mind using gloves except when I'm wearing them I can't do other things so it is a constant on with the gloves, off with the gloves.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
I have to feel my fabric when I do FMQ. I have the gloves but they bother me too much. I also have to "feel" my foot pedal, so I quilt with one bare foot!
I'm taking a Craftsy FMQ class with Leah Day and she recommended using your bare foot on the foot pedal as it gives you better speed control. I haven't tried it yet but plan to.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by TerryQuilter View Post
I have to feel my fabric when I do FMQ. I have the gloves but they bother me too much. I also have to "feel" my foot pedal, so I quilt with one bare foot!
I sew barefooted, too, or with footies, if it is chilly. At work, I do my transcriptions from my dictaphone with one bare foot, too.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 PM

I also use rubber palmed garden gloves that I got from Walmart. They are very thin and do not make my hands sweat. Also cheap.