Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Affairs of the Heart - machine embroidery >

Affairs of the Heart - machine embroidery

Affairs of the Heart - machine embroidery

Old 07-23-2019, 05:53 AM

Default Affairs of the Heart - machine embroidery

I really want to learn how to use my Scan-N-Cut for doing applique with my embroidery machine.
I have the book for Affairs of the Heart and have done some both hand applique and machine applique, and I've seen pictures of it done with the embroidery machine.

So I bought the digitized software and figure this will be a good way to learn to use the ScanNCut. It will "read" the applique stitch lines and convert them to cutting lines for me. The package should arrive by Friday, so it will be play time come this weekend!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:10 AM

What a beautiful design! What EMB machine are you using?

Try a sample cut first as you may need to " + " the line by 1 or 2 on the SNC machine. I love using the machine to cut the intricate shapes for applique. Have you watched the tutorials for applique?

I'm learning the machine too. You reminded me that I have the owls EMB designs and hope to get them done someday.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 AM

I love my digitizing software! I have used so many different designs for appliques on a quilt, including appliques for a crazy quilt. To be able to make my own appliques from a picture and turn it into a piece in a quilt is so much fun.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:39 AM

Rhonda, I have a Babylock Destiny with the DII upgrade kit installed. The main part of the upgrade was the 9.5 x 9.5 hoop.

I was watching one tutorial and they suggested always increasing the design by 1mm before cutting.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 AM

Cathy, which Scan and Cut do you have? I too, am very interested in doing this.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 AM

I have the SNC2, at the class they had the new one and it now will automatically set the depth of the cutter for you. That would be real neat to have.

I bought the level that has the wireless router connection. Not sure if that will be a big plus or not, as I still have to use a USB to transfer from my embroidery machine to the ScanNCut as my embroidery machine does not hook to my wireless router
Old 07-24-2019, 11:15 AM

Oooooh, you're going to have so much fun this weekend! Be sure and post pics of your playing.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Please tell us how it goes. I also have a ScanNCut and an embroidery machine and I want to try cutting my applique shapes.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have the SNC2, at the class they had the new one and it now will automatically set the depth of the cutter for you. That would be real neat to have.

I bought the level that has the wireless router connection. Not sure if that will be a big plus or not, as I still have to use a USB to transfer from my embroidery machine to the ScanNCut as my embroidery machine does not hook to my wireless router
As I'm learning too, i'd ask you to share some feedback! How is it going?
As for connection, it seems to be strange. Have you tried to contact Babylock's support?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:28 AM

Hi Pat,

I messed around with it a bit, the problem is that all the shapes that used the same thread color imported in as one design, so I can't move them around to save fabric. I either need to learn how to seperate them, or see if I can import something different that will come in as single units. I'm working on my swap blocks right now so it's on the back burner.

As for my machine -I didn't think it had the capabilities to connect, so I've not looked into it. Everything I've read has said to transfer the designs to a USB stick and plug that into the machine. I doubt the sewing machine would link directly to my PC - normally they hook to a cloud service and you upload designs to that, then download them to your machine. That is how the ScanNCut works if I want to import things that way. And at that point it's easier to put them on the USB stick.