Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Afrian Savanna applique >

Afrian Savanna applique

Afrian Savanna applique

Old 02-25-2023, 08:31 PM

Default Afrian Savanna applique

Hi Started a new project, nearly all applique and embroidery..The base is a folded seven-layer color strip for each sunset panel, composed of sixteen scenes starting with the six lower in dark reds, the middle in orange tones, and the top layer in yellow. Each is made up of seven color strips per scene. there is a black border with tribal embroidery that can be inserted at discretion for the separation of panels. The project can be formed as a quilt or separate panels as wall hangings..Have completed the lower six, one from the middle , one from the top..I have been completing two panels a day, but I don't do it every day. Probably take a few posts to finish it.
Attached Thumbnails anita-savana.jpg   img_5462.jpg   img_5463.jpg   img_5465.jpg   img_5466.jpg  

Last edited by ZooAnimals; 02-25-2023 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:32 AM

This is quite lovely!🏆 I hope you finish soon and post again!😁👍
Old 02-26-2023, 04:19 AM

Wow! I can hardly wait to see the quilt and what embroidery program did you use?
Old 02-26-2023, 04:36 AM

That is a beauty! There is something new to see in every block-so many details. Love the sashing strips.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:22 AM

Hi QuiltMom2. The program is an Anita Goodesign, Savanna Sunsets, released in 2022....Highly detailed, available in all formats, and pages of PDF instructions...Just one fault that I've picked up. When it does the placement stitch for the animal it will continue onto the tacking stitch..this is on Janome's JEF file it might not do this in other formats, but just be aware if you purchase this project that this anomaly exists..Doesn't worry me as I just stop the machine when it does the outline, place the material, and start it again to tack down the fabric. Be aware that this will put the color map out one step forward as well.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:55 AM

Here are a few more I finished in the last couple of days..my machine will need a total oil service after I finish this project. There will be more than 800.000 stitches in all 16 Panels. I change the needle every 100.000 stitches and it uses 2 bobbins per panel. The second panel from the bottom is an Australian Aboriginal Indigenous print by Rahab Nungarrayi Spencer. each has specific names relating to Dream Time I think there are about ten of them..I have used three of them in the different colors
Attached Thumbnails img_5473.jpg   img_5472.jpg   img_5471.jpg   img_5470.jpg  
Old 03-01-2023, 10:27 PM

These panels are time-consuming. the Elephant- cat-bird had 80k stitches but there done now. There are five top panels to do, these are light yellow colors.
Attached Thumbnails img_5474.jpg   img_5475.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 03:47 AM

Have finished all 18 panels, they have approximately 50 thousand stitches per panel and over 15 colors with over 40 changes on each panel. The next job is to embroider the border strips, these are tribal markings. The back will be all the colors used in the front panels with tribal panels through the center and border, looking for a tribal-style quilt embroidery pattern for the back and will attach it with a stitch in the ditch style to the front. This is about a single bed-size quilt. I have acquired a new overlocker -serger-top stitch Janome 1200d professional and I am going to attempt to assemble this quilt with this machine. I see there are many quilters using sergers to sew up their quilts today.so I going along with the trend.
Attached Thumbnails img_5476.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 04:49 AM

Your blocks are gorgeous. There were some EMB files in this collection. I used them for quilting. They come in different block and sashing sizes. It is an older design.

https://www.anitagoodesign.com/produ...motion-frenzy/

Question- What stabilizers did you use for the designs since they are so dense. Did you add a fusible product to the back of the block fabrics or the applique pieces?
Old 03-09-2023, 05:46 AM

Hi Rhonda K. I'm using a very stiff stabilizer that irons on, this sticks to the soft fusible can't remember what it's called, but it's expensive iron on, and this then sticks to the 7 multi-layers of color strips which are applique stitched together..There's a lot of taking the hoop in and out of the machine while laying down the strip color under base, don't think a lot of people get how these panels are assembled..The whole base panel is applique and then the scene is fully embroidered, there's a lot of work to assemble these panels, I'm taking about 3-4 hrs per panel and that's not preparing the material strips or cutting stabilizer or fusible..to load it into the hoop. I use clip magnets and paint tape to keep taught, some of the embroideries panels have 80K stitches and 25 colors..Hope this helps