Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!! Does anyone know how to fix this? Machine Emb.

Help!! Does anyone know how to fix this? Machine Emb.

I made this embroidery last night and the outline is off. i didn't take the hoop off the machine or move it it any way. It's not off by much, but it"s still off! I have the Janome 11000. does anyone know what i should do? I don't want to continue with the others if they are all going to be off. they take about 1/2 hour for each embroidery- I don't want to redo all of them>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Usually when your outline is off, it is because of the stabilizer. Did you stabilize it and with what? You can tell by the puckering above the tail and by the arm that the fabric had stretched some, which can cause problems like this.

This happens when the material gathers up. It is all in the hooping and stablilzer. I have this problem often, but I can't give you an answer how to correct. I am going to watch this thread to see what the more experienced embroidery people say.

Blog Entries
    Fill in the white with fine tip pigment pens and no one will ever know!

Blog Entries
    I also fill in with a pigment pen!

I agree - looks like the material shifted during embroidery. I make sure I get the fabric taut in the hoop and have little clamps I use on the frame when I do embroidery that has a high stitch count. Helps prevent the shifting. Got them at Home Depot for about 49 cents each.. They look like small clothespins. You can also try iron-on stabilizer or 505 spray w/ the stabilizer you have now.

I have also had to use the pigment pen. I did an embroidery and it was wayyyy off. The large hoop had touched the wall and could not complete the correct positioning. Needless to say, I had to redo the block!!!

Yup. The answer is inadequate stabilizer.

I have the 11000, and I'll tell you, if your machine isn't on a very stable surface it jumps. I have had numerous issues with outlines not being correct because of it, it's almost like I have to put it on the floor because the sewing cabinet isn't stable, even with the special Janome vibration pad under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky
    Usually when your outline is off, it is because of the stabilizer. Did you stabilize it and with what? You can tell by the puckering above the tail and by the arm that the fabric had stretched some, which can cause problems like this.
    the stabilizer I used was Totally Stable iron on tear away by Sulky and then floated HTCW easy stitch underneath. looks like i'll have to find something better for the stabilizer that adheres to the project. maybe i didn't have it hooped tight enough either. Thanks for the help-i've not really had issues with this before and wasn't sure what i did wrong.

Power Poster
    I always blame it on the designer, but I know it's really a "user error." Make sure you are using quality stabilizer and you're fabric is hooped tight. It does matter if your machine is on a countertop that cannot shift vs. a table that can shift/hop/jump. When all else fails, have colored pigment pens to hide the small gaps. It really works! It looks like your little monkey can just be filled in with a brown pigment pen. Try it! :)
    Good luck! :)

Know nothing about fixing this but the sock monkey is soooo cute!!!

I figured the issue was user error, but didn't know what I did to cause it. The design is from Designs by juju and it is going into a quilt for my new grandson who was born on 9/2/2011. We are leaving on Sept. 30th to drive to Lewisville, Tx to see him. (nothing like waiting for the last minute, right?). The thread that I used for the "sock" parts is a tweed thread by Robison-Anton. I didn't like the solid cinnamon color that was recommended. I will be sure to show pictures of the WIP and of course the finished quilt and definitely one with DGs and quilt. Thanks again for the helpful tips and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by candledish
    I agree - looks like the material shifted during embroidery. I make sure I get the fabric taut in the hoop and have little clamps I use on the frame when I do embroidery that has a high stitch count. Helps prevent the shifting. Got them at Home Depot for about 49 cents each.. They look like small clothespins. You can also try iron-on stabilizer or 505 spray w/ the stabilizer you have now.
    Yep. The fabric should be tight as a drum and you need stabilizer.

Don't know much about Janome machines as I have Bernina's but if they have a basting stitch you can download you might sew that out before you start the actual embroidery to keep it from shifting as much.

mltquilt

I think your hoop may not have been tightened correctly. Ask your dealer for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sewmom
    I made this embroidery last night and the outline is off. i didn't take the hoop off the machine or move it it any way. It's not off by much, but it"s still off! I have the Janome 11000. does anyone know what i should do? I don't want to continue with the others if they are all going to be off. they take about 1/2 hour for each embroidery- I don't want to redo all of them>
    I have had this happen and I just get a needle and thread with the thread the same as in the area that is off and fill it in by hand. I have done this several times and you would not notice after I was done. Not sure what causes this but fixing it with a little hand sewing is better than wasting all that time and supplies throwing it out.

he is so cute though.......

Blog Entries
    Anyway to rip the few sticths out and use fray block on it?

Quote Originally Posted by sewmom
    I figured the issue was user error, but didn't know what I did to cause it. The design is from Designs by juju and it is going into a quilt for my new grandson who was born on 9/2/2011. We are leaving on Sept. 30th to drive to Lewisville, Tx to see him. (nothing like waiting for the last minute, right?). The thread that I used for the "sock" parts is a tweed thread by Robison-Anton. I didn't like the solid cinnamon color that was recommended. I will be sure to show pictures of the WIP and of course the finished quilt and definitely one with DGs and quilt. Thanks again for the helpful tips and comments.
    The issue is not neccessarily user error. I too, have a 11000 and have had some designs do this. I find that it could all be the digitizing of the design. When this happened to me, I 'fixed' it as recommended in the other posts. The designs are still very cute!
    Debbie

Sometimes it is the design. Get some fabric paint pens with a fine tip. It could be the stretching of fabric but it will be too messy to try to fix it. Fabric pens are the best answer!

I think he looks lovely even if he isn't perfect :) I'd use him!

What kind of hoop are you using, for example, I had a Janome 350E and the hoop only connected at the top, so the hoop would slightly move from weight of fabric and just moving. I had this problem trying to embroider on a jacket. So I went to my 200 Janome, the hoop connects sideways and pulls the fabric, perfect every time, never is off, love this little machine. I also use a Bernina and the hoop is connected the same way, in the middle of the hoop with 2 connections.

I almost gave up embroidery because of the issue, if this is not the problem, make sure your stabilizer does not stretch at all. Take a piece of stabilizer and stretch it, if it does stretch, take another piece and turn it on a right angle so nothing stretches. Yes, you might have to use 2 pieces of stabilizer but it is worth it. I always buy a cut away, 2.5 oz or more when purchasing stabilizer. Made my embroidery perfection just like I want.

Blog Entries
    I use oversize coffee filters for stabilizer. They work for me and are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
    Quote Originally Posted by candledish
    Yep. The fabric should be tight as a drum and you need stabilizer.
    Do NOT pull the fabric taut while in the hoop. When embroidering on cotton fabric professionals suggest an iron on stabilizer to keep the fabric from stretching. Or, iron on light interfacing. Use the iron on stabilizer that is a tear away to keep it soft. Either one works beautifully. I know this because my friend does machine embroidery professionally. Please try it you won't be disappointed. Good Luck those monkeys are adorable.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast