Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Hoop Mat Question >

Hoop Mat Question

Hoop Mat Question

Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 AM

Default Hoop Mat Question

Has anyone used one of these and what are your thoughts? I saw this advertised today for keeping your hoop from slipping when trying to hoop your fabric and stabilizer. It's made from 100% silicone and usually silicone is very slick. If it works, I would be interested in getting one but I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work as advertised. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 AM

I have not, but will be watching what others have to say.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:33 AM

Maggie,

I haven't used one for hooping. What are you trying to hoop? (Fabric/stabilizer). There are tips to help you master hooping depending on the project(s).

I don't use sticky stabilizer but for some that is an option they like to use.

You can probably find the mats cheaper in the kitchen department if you decide you need one.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Rhonda,I'm trying to hoop fabric & stabilizer. This is supposed to keep the hoop from sliding around when trying to hoop your fabric. My concern is it's 100% silicone which is usually very slippery. I don't understand how it would keep the hoop from slipping. This is the link to it.

https://www.embroiderydesigns.com/pr...443633&lsid=19
Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM

The description says it is non-slip. It does look nice.

You could cut a piece of cabinet shelf line. The one that cushions the dishes.

I place the hoop over the fabric and stabilizer. Hold in the center of each side (top hoop). Slide the top hoop into position on the bottom hoop. Start at the top edge. After it is in place at the top, start pressing the hoop down on the center. The bottom edge should pop into the bottom edge.

Make sure the hoop screws are open enough to allow the top hoop to slide in. Hoop and then close the screw/clamp.

Similar to this method.

https://www.embroideryonline.com/pro...ne-embroidery/

More tips here on the second row. I haven't added any batting though.

https://www.purelygates.com/videos

Hope that helps!
Old 10-08-2019, 09:18 PM

I personally would never use it. But then I usually hoop my fabric on my ironing board or cutting table. And if I have my cutting table open, then there is an Olfa cutting mat on top. And the only time I have a problem hooping fabric, it is usually towels.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:55 AM
Gay

Totally agree with Rhonda K.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 AM

It slips, it is not sticky like some silicone things. It slid on my table and my hoop slid also. I had to slide the mat over about 2 inches and the hoop slid. I sent it back. If you need something with grids to hoop your project you can use your cutting mat. Also, I agree with the methods listed above, The screws should be tight enough to just get the project between the top and bottom part of the hoop. With even pressure it should pop together easily then just finger tighten.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 AM

I also do it like Rhonda - I lay the stabilizer and fabric down, then fold over half the fabric and use a washable glue stick and put down a few rows of glue then smooth down the fabric, fold the other side and glue and smooth. Then I lay the bottom hoop along side the fabric. I place the top hoop over the fabric and pick up the sides of fabric and hoop at the same time and then gently move it over the bottom hoop and press in place.

I'm normally using a large hoop and find tacking the fabric down with a bit of washable glue helps keep it all in place while hooping. My new machine came with a 11x16 hoop - really looking forward to using that one!

I do mine on top of my ironing board (I have a big one) and nothing slips around much on that.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Thanks everyone. I knew someone would have an answer. I should have thought of the shelf liner but obviously I didn't. I have plenty of it. It's a lot cheaper than the mat.

Macybacy, I hadn't thought about using the glue sticks. I've been using spray adhesive. Thanks for the tip. I'll try the glue sticks next time.