Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
I am very interested in being able to cut SVG files >

I am very interested in being able to cut SVG files

I am very interested in being able to cut SVG files

Old 01-07-2019, 07:03 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,468
Default I am very interested in being able to cut SVG files

Anyone do that? I especially would like to be able to copy an embroidery file change it to SVG and use a cutting machine to cut the fabric for me. Keative Kiwi is working on making SGV files available with their designs in the future. Which I think would be great. However I have hundreds of designs that being able to cut fabrics for the applique would be fabulous!!!
Maggie_Sue is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:16 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Deep South near Cajun Country, USA
Posts: 4,401
Default

All I can say is that you must have a lot of confidence in your ability to get that applique exactly where it needs to be sewn. I don't think I could never be that accurate with placement. But then again... If I used a spray glue....maybe.

I have a couple of good, sharp applique scissors that I depend on to do the trimming job without a lot of trouble. They work well for me, even though I rarely do any embroidery these days. Mostly piecing for me and sewing on bindings.
Barb in Louisiana is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 3,165
Default

Maggie,

What machines are you using for EMB and cutting? My machines have a scissor icon that sends the cut file to the USB. Take the USB to SNC for cutting. There are converter programs available also.

The tutorials that I have watched show to increase the cut file by one or two clicks of the plus sign.

Check the LQS for classes or the internet for machine specific tutorials. Practice on some sample pieces until you get the cut settings and sizes right.

I'll follow your thread as it is my goal to learn this technique also. Good luck!
Rhonda K is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 04:52 AM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Sunny Florida
Posts: 3,165
Default

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
All I can say is that you must have a lot of confidence in your ability to get that applique exactly where it needs to be sewn. I don't think I could never be that accurate with placement. But then again... If I used a spray glue....maybe.

I have a couple of good, sharp applique scissors that I depend on to do the trimming job without a lot of trouble. They work well for me, even though I rarely do any embroidery these days. Mostly piecing for me and sewing on bindings.
It is fairly easy to get the placement right. The designs stitch a placement stitch for easy placement of the applique fabric. Iron the applique (backed with fusible product) onto the placement stitch to hold in place.
Rhonda K is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,468
Default

Rhonda my Embroidery machine is Pfaff Creative Sensation, and I do not yet have a cutting machine. Have been looking at the Cricut Maker. But from watching videos it looks like the SNC converts files easily. Need to do more research on this.
Maggie_Sue is offline  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
Rhonda my Embroidery machine is Pfaff Creative Sensation, and I do not yet have a cutting machine. Have been looking at the Cricut Maker. But from watching videos it looks like the SNC converts files easily. Need to do more research on this.
The nice thing about the SNC is the ability of the machine to scan the mat and show you on a screen exactly where you placed your fabric especially if you are using material scraps. I have less waste. Previous cutting machines: the Silhouette, Zing, and Silver Bullet. The one Ive liked the best is the Brother SNC.
there are some websites that will convert some types of embroidery files into SVGs
some embroidery programs will also export files as SVGs. It depends on the software and just what part of the file is to to have the appliqu.
Peaso is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 06:50 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 442
Default This is when I realize my age!!

What is SNC ?? Anyway, I want to frame an embroidery piece I did. (The Lord's Prayer) I should have shrunk the size before I sewed It out..oh, well. It is bigger than a standard mat, so would like to cut my own mat...a tad bigger than 8 X 10. Does anyone cut their own mats to frame their embroidery? If so, how ? A machine or by hand? THANKS.

Originally Posted by Peaso View Post
The nice thing about the SNC is the ability of the machine to scan the mat and show you on a screen exactly where you placed your fabric especially if you are using material scraps. I have less waste. Previous cutting machines: the Silhouette, Zing, and Silver Bullet. The one Ive liked the best is the Brother SNC.
there are some websites that will convert some types of embroidery files into SVGs
some embroidery programs will also export files as SVGs. It depends on the software and just what part of the file is to to have the appliqu.
Rennie is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 AM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 7,020
Default

I have teh Brother SNC (scan N cut). Still have not done anything with it other than take it out of the box. They come in a range, so make sure you get the one that will do what you need. I've read complaints that people have bought the lower cost machine - and then were upset because they had to pay more to get the WiFi ability. You can buy it with the machine or buy it later - the machine was the same.

I bought mine a year ago, so they may have different features available now.
Macybaby is offline  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:13 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,397
Default

My software both of them I think, all I have to do is tell it export design as svg and it does it. Perfect size for appliques. A lot of softwares are now making this a feature. Silhoutte does it but it may be their business version of software not the free one.
romanojg is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 PM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,468
Default

Still doing research on this subject. Was viewing the Cricut, looks intereesting as it has a rotary cutter. Can anyone tell me about this product???
Maggie_Sue is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bearisgray
Main
36
05-22-2015 10:20 PM
grma33
Main
12
04-20-2012 05:51 AM
Airwick156
Pictures
23
01-27-2011 08:50 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.