Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Necessary Supplies - help! >

Necessary Supplies - help!

Necessary Supplies - help!

Old 02-04-2021, 06:28 AM

Question Necessary Supplies - help!

Hi. I have a Bernina 880 that I AM going to learn to use. I'm going to get over my intimidation of her! A friend and I are going to do the Kimberbell Main Street Celebrations bench pillow. The cd is presently on order, so I thought it would be a good idea to gather some supplies. I have scissors and a few small things, but thought I would reach out and ask.

What supplies do I need to acquire in order to be able to machine embroider? What are some of your favorite supplies? What are some "must haves" for machine embroidery? What type/size/brand needles do you prefer? Where do you get your embroidery materials? If you have a favorite online store where you get supplies, please share.

Thank, everyone! I'm excited to begin my journey!
~Michele
Old 02-04-2021, 07:37 AM

I would have a lightweight fusible to put on the back of your fabric. Then have at least 10 different colors of embroidery thread Be sure to have black. Look over your patterns and it will give you an idea of what you might need. I use mostly Sulky threads but I have a ton of others too. I only said 10 colors because you are just beginning. It is easy to get caught up in all the different thread colors very quickly or in the brands. I use a top stitch or embroidery needle. Have an iron available to bond the fusible onto the fabric. Thread snippers are important too.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:15 AM

Kimberbell has the kit to add embellishments. The pattern or cd packages tells you what you need. Curved scissors are a must. Needle for metallic thread.
have fun!