Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

Charming 12-06-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff (Post 5702026)
I have a Brother machine and have been looking at their PE-Design software. However, I have been hearing lots about the 5D and the local JoAnn's has a store within their store. If I get the 5D there are lots of classes at the store so it wouldn't become "shelf-ware". The shop that has the PE-Design has classes as well, but it is one day-all day and I am not sure of the website support for the software.

I am having difficulties choosing the package I want. I know that I want to be able to design some of my own motifs at some point in time, and I am understanding that I would need the 5D Pro to do that.
It is a lot of money and am wondering what others think. Is it worth it?
Would you do it again?
I am looking forward to all your wisdom.
Jane

Jane

I just upgraded to the 5D pro and I love it. I know it a lot of money but if you want to be able to resize the proper way and edit designs and do anything you want then you need the pro. I have the basic before and besides embroidering and resizing a bit I couldn't do much.

mermaid 12-06-2012 05:52 PM

I have P E Design v4, and v5...I've had v5 for 9 yrs and it will do most anything you will need to do--digitize your own designs, I don't even know what the later softwares do,,,,but I think it's just ''lipstick on the pig'', cause even v4 is all you ever need..said Loes van der Heijden (isn't this the person who created the software originally?) I have the ''mastering v4 teaching video" that makes it easy to understand and learn. But I've heard a lot about the 5Dpro, tho I've never experienced it. Why don't you download the free software from
http://www.wingsxp.com/index.php/my_editor/ and play around with it. It will let you do a lot with your designs--format, resize, change colors, split/copy/paste, save in new format--much more. I use it as much because there's no dongle necessary to access it. I've just learned of another free software -Bernina Artlink6 from Bernina

[1] direct link to softwarewww.bernina.com[
2] link to home page
www.bernina.com I think it is good idea to test several options before buying. Embird gets good marks from people who have it, but I could not figure it out. Too dumb, maybe.

http://www.wingsxp.com/index.php/my_editor/

Jratcliff 12-07-2012 05:35 AM

www.bernina.com I think it is good idea to test several options before buying. Embird gets good marks from people who have it, but I could not figure it out. Too dumb, maybe.

Embird was recommended in a quilting class so I downloaded it. I couldnt get it to do a darned thing. Guess that makes both of us to dumb!

Thanks for the comments. Its always hard to make such a decision.
Jane

sewnsewer2 12-07-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 5696758)
does anyone know who makes polyester embroidery thread other than Madeira? I/ve bought from 'Designs by Sick'--they have the Brother colors. I've also bought from ebay, and from metroemb.com. Poly sews better than rayon, in MyO.

OESD (isacord & mettler), Floriani, metro. I don't like the metro, it shreads on me, but others like it. I highly recommend the Isacord, mettler (same as Isacord) or the floriani.

Quilty-Louise 12-07-2012 06:14 AM

There are MANY brands of Polyester thread for embroidery.

My #1 favorite is Floriani, but it costs more, but I find that
I have fewer breaks with it not to mention is LOOKS good
(nice sheen in projects).

When I first started machine embroidery I started with "ThreadArt"
poly it was cheaper which was nice when I was beginning my craft
of embroidery, but I think it also provided me with a lot of frustration
because I had nothing but breaking issues so I got to where I wouldn't
use my machine as much.

Originally Posted by mermaid (Post 5696758)
does anyone know who makes polyester embroidery thread other than Madeira? I/ve bought from 'Designs by Sick'--they have the Brother colors. I've also bought from ebay, and from metroemb.com. Poly sews better than rayon, in MyO.

Quilty-Louise 12-07-2012 06:16 AM

I have the FES (Floriani Embroidery Suite Pro), of course I am
still trying to learn how to use it.

But to be totally fair (or honest is more like it) I haven't spent to
much time trying to learn either. There are about 10 webinar videos
to help me if I would just slow down and take the time to watch them.

romanojg 12-08-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Charming (Post 5702165)
Jane

I just upgraded to the 5D pro and I love it. I know it a lot of money but if you want to be able to resize the proper way and edit designs and do anything you want then you need the pro. I have the basic before and besides embroidering and resizing a bit I couldn't do much.

I have to agree. Just being able to go in and get rid of those pesky jump stitches and the other "additional" stitches that aren't needed makes my life so much easier. I could do that in the 5D organizier that came with my machine but the new editor plus does it so much better and I'm not having to save it in different folders and the move it. There is a website that features 4D and 5D and the latest upgrade of the editor plus. My teacher recommends his books and he has lots of free info on his website along with some classes that you can pay to take. His site is mrpatience.com.

gail-r 12-08-2012 06:18 AM

Have you guys seen Susan Stewarts Radiance quilt? If not go to You Tube and check it out. The most beautiful embroidered quilt I've ever seen. Hugs

gail-r 12-08-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jratcliff (Post 5703731)

Embird was recommended in a quilting class so I downloaded it. I couldnt get it to do a darned thing. Guess that makes both of us to dumb!

Thanks for the comments. Its always hard to make such a decision.
Jane

Your not dumb!! I would be more than glad to help you with Embird. I have been using it since 1996. Let me know and I will PM my number. Hugs

quiltnut4ever 12-08-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 5703800)
There are MANY brands of Polyester thread for embroidery.

My #1 favorite is Floriani, but it costs more, but I find that
I have fewer breaks with it not to mention is LOOKS good
(nice sheen in projects).

When I first started machine embroidery I started with "ThreadArt"
poly it was cheaper which was nice when I was beginning my craft
of embroidery, but I think it also provided me with a lot of frustration
because I had nothing but breaking issues so I got to where I wouldn't
use my machine as much.

Quilty-Louise,
I went to my lqs on my birthday this week and bought 3 colors of Floriani thread. I must say they have beautiful colors! I got each spool for 30% off each which isn't bad at regular price of $4.19 each. I'm going to try them this weekend on my new embroidery machine, can't wait!