Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

Quilty-Louise 04-11-2013 07:31 AM

qn4e - I purchase my Floriani thread from my dealer where i purchased
my machines from. They almost ALWAYS have some kind of special/sale
running. Which helps with the price.

Right now in their sales flyer they have a special where you buy 2 spools
of Floriani poly thread get the third free (limit 4 free per customer). But
I am also a member of their "Sew Fun Club" which is annual membership
they have free classes, and such plus with SFC when they DON'T have a sale
on threads and such I get 20% off each item I purchase that is NOT on sale.

When I purchased my newest machine I also bought the 100 spool of Floriani
thread, and since I pretty much already had about 1/3 of the colors in the set
they let me them in and exchange for colors I didn't have.

I LOVE my local dealer, and there is one particular sales lady that I make sure
she is working when I make bigger purchases because she has ALWAYS gone
out of her way (more than the others) to help me and since they get paid a
commission on the bigger purchases I have her to help me so she can get the
sales commission.

I also get my Floriani stabilizers there and my mega "commercial" roll of Wet n Gone
that you liked drooling over (just kidding).

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever (Post 5991881)
I concur with Quilty-Louise, I love the Floriani poly thread. Did a lace angel and it came out beautiful! Though the thread is pricey I wouldn't mind buying it. My local lqs store does carry them and I even got an email that they come in 60 color packs but don't know the price. Quilty-Louise where do you purchase your Floriani threads? at a local lqs or online? AND How's the sewing room coming along (I know its two different threads but haven't had time to locate them).

I do agree that choosing a stabilizer is a bit tricky but with time once you know the fabric type you are using it may not be as difficult.

quiltnut4ever 04-12-2013 03:57 AM

Quilty-Louise, drooling over the wet-n-gone? Me? NEVER! :D I love that stuff! I have an lqs near my job but since I get out at 5 they close at 5. I only work 1/2 day today and they are the only lqs in which I bought one machine from that sell Floriani threads and stabilizer so I may go today. Did you also see that they came out with the 30 thread holder (two packs to hold a total of 60 threads). When I get home I'll take a photo of the free standing lace angel I did with the Floriani thread!

Lstew2212 04-12-2013 04:41 AM

Any body have an older machine embroidery that does not have the USB port and have to use the cards. What reader/writer box do you use? Amazon has the "Little Box" for a reasonable price. I have a Husqvarna Iris, great machine. I am looking for a reader/writer box. I would like to download designs from the internet. Any help would be great.

Jratcliff 04-12-2013 07:18 AM

On a previous post, someone had written about their machine with a thread cutter and difficulties with it cutting the threads too short. I have a Brother 6000D with a thread cutter and love it. The machine gives me the option of the length of cut which is awesome. I always leave it at the original setting of 0.5 but can change it if I want. While I don't remember what type machine the poster has, it is worth taking the time to explore the options and see if you too can change the length of the cut.

Quilty-Louise 04-12-2013 08:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
qn4e - If you have any plans for building up the amount of embroidery thread
you have (me I plan to eventually have ALL the Floriani colors) I would HIGHLY
recommend you getting the metal drawer from Ikea, they cost $40 each and are
the PERFECT interior height for holding the spools. PLUS each drawer can hold
40 spools. The drawers come in 3 colors silver, white & red.

I have 2 silver and 1 red and hope to get at least 3 more someday. Below is acouple
pictures of my cabinets. I only have the pieces of paper to "label" the number range
in each drawer. Once I have ALL the colors I will pull out my trust (and MUCH used)label
maker and make labels for the drawers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]407543[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]407544[/ATTACH]

These are the drawers I have from
IKEA.

quiltnut4ever 04-12-2013 01:42 PM

Louise, those are very nice and not expensive like the ones from Floriani. The only thing is nearest Ikea from me is in Tampa over 2.5 hrs away :( But on a good note I went to my lqs in Naples and they carry Floriani threads at 4.19 a spool. They also had thread sets, #1, #2 ov 100 threads for $279.99 and the new 60 threads for $179.00. After speaking with the shop owner she pointed out that buying these sets would be a great saver in price. For the 100 threads each spool would cost $2.79 ea. compared to $4.20 at the store. I am not able at this time to splurge but its tempting! One lady outright bought the 100 set! Ca-ching! Maybe when my car is paid off this year I may take that plunge! But love those metal cabinets and you can really put a lot of them nicely in there.

Crqltr 04-12-2013 01:47 PM

If there is a floriani workshop anywhere in the area it is worth the cost. Lots of info and really good deals on thread and stabilizer. I have been to two and would go again.just for the discounts!

Quilty-Louise 04-12-2013 09:17 PM

I would LOVE to take the Floriani workshops. Sadly though every
time I have seen them here in CO it just wasn't at a time when I
could travel to Fort Collins or Greeley.

I am hoping someday that there will be a workshop closer to Denver
so that I can attend.

quiltnut4ever 04-13-2013 03:05 AM

I missed a great opportunity to go to one of the their workshops for embroidery. The cost was only $30 with over $500 worth of free stuff. I hoping like you do that they'll come by again and I am definitely going!

DebbieKT 04-13-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by LoriJ (Post 694379)
I have a Janome 350E, just got it last October and haven't dont a whole lot on it yet. I just finished a hummingbird quilt that's on another thread. My DH got me magnahoops for Christmas, so now I can try to put something on the pashima scarves I found. I'm still looking around to see what editing software I want to use.

I also have the Janome 350E and have been debating gett5ing the magnahoop. Happy to hear it works with our machine! I have no local dealer so all my purchases have to be online. Sometimes I am a little uneasy without actually talking to to someone. ha ha ! I guess I'm a "touchy-feely" type of shopper! DH can't understand how I cna spends hours in a quilt shop and come out empty handed! He just doesn't understand the expereince these hands have just had!