Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

Blue Button 06-25-2012 05:09 AM

I too just found this thread and have been reading it for 2 days! Lots of helpful info. Here are some of my answers to questions.

1. I think this needs to be a separate thread. This one was started a few YEARS ago and still has interest.
2. I have a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0 with the 4-D Embroidery Software program.
3. I have done lots of things. Childrens clothes, bibs, t-shirts, tote bags, purses, etc. I have also done custom logos on shirts (I had the design digitized first).
4. Some of the web sites I like and use are: www.planetapplique.com; designsbyjuju.com; designsbysick.com; emblibrary.com; embroiderydesigns.com; fivestarfonts.com; buystitch.com
5. When I first got my machine, I ordered thread from designsbysick.com. I recieved very nice thread for about $1.00 a spool. This is the 1000 meter spool. They have on sale right now 50 spools of thread for 37.49 or 61 colors for 45.75. I haven't had any problems with their thread and will order more when I run out. I have also ordered stabilizers from them and have been pleased with the quality and price.
5. I store my embroidery unit in it's carrying case that fits perfectly behind the door of my fabric closet. But alot of the time I just leave it on the machine when I am sewing.
Love this thread and thanks for all the useful information.

romanojg 06-25-2012 05:37 AM

[QUOTE=Karenowc;5307346]I have a question on how all of you "store" the embroidery module for your machines when you are not using them.

I have a Ruby and it allows me to park it and I don't have to store it. I did just buy the bag for it though for when I got to embroidery club with it and that I hang over the closet door on a hook and could put the arm in it if needed. I agree they are large and expensive so you want to be careful. This is why I decided for the cost of what it would cost to replace or repair it was worth getting the bag to protect it.

4dogs 06-25-2012 05:39 AM

I have the Bernina Artista 630...........I bought all the "stuff" to do embroidery with, but so far, I have not done a single thing.........which is really dumb that I havent..........but I am not at all sure about how to do it and have been fearful that I would somehow hurt the machine, since I dont think I would know what I am doing........I guess I really need to go back and retake that part of the classes they have for you, after you puchase the machine.......its been about 3 years, so I am sure I dont remember how to do it................

romanojg 06-25-2012 05:45 AM

There's a lot to learn. But I was wondering if anyone uses regular sewing needles to embroider with or must it be embroidery needles? I'm also not sure about which stablizers to use on different fabrics.
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.[/QUOTE]

I have a Viking Ruby and I don't always use embroidery needles. For FSL I found sharps work better and sometimes I use a larger one than normal depending on the thread. I have embroidery needles and if you look around you can get good deals on them. I'm lucky because here at Fabric Hut they have a really good brand that if you buy 2 packs you get the 3rd pack for free and you can mix them. So I can get emb, sharps, topstich, etc and get 3 packs for around $8 and they last really well. You just really need to look around. You do need a good sharp needle though which is why I like the sharps. If you check out Kenny's Corner on Emblibrary.com he has a part on needles that helps a lot. He also has alot of stabliziers too, including their test. Floriani is also another good site to learn about this stuff for and also Viking. I go to Viking every month and download my free design and check out what's new for us. Do you have a dealer close that can help you out when you have a question?

romanojg 06-25-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee (Post 5304558)
Hello Judy... I just wanted to mention that I try to read all the messages in this thread but at yours there are over 887 messages!! And not all are using a quote reply so some can't even be linked to the start message. And many of them include repeated information. I hope that you are the type of person who would be gracious and repeat the same information if it is asked again and again knowing that in this thread it is so easy to lose the information someone might need. Thank you Judy.. Thank you very much for being that person. Hugs and Good Night..

If someone asked me for something I have no problem sharing and that wasn't what this was about. I don't go back and re-read over old post as my time doesn't allow that. I work full time, full time mom, grand mom and quilt, sew and embroidery. I'll share anything anyone wants or needs it's when you try to help and you are made to feel like no one even read your thread like its not important but then there are others have responses to all of theirs. I have gotten responses including pms so I'm not alone on how I feel so I know it's not just me. We are all equal on here. Some have more knowledge than others but everyone has more they can learn; for that I'm sure. I know that I do. That's why I read and I share and I respond.

Quilty-Louise 06-25-2012 10:35 AM

K,

I am sooooo happy to know that those needles helped solve your
problem with the thread issues.

Those needles were purchased from AllStitch.net and at a DECENT
price also. I want to try the titanium large eye sharps next, but those
are a little more costly than I can afford right now.

Something else I almost positive that will help when embroidering is
to use thread nets on ALL your threads. I was only using the nets on
metallic thread, but started using them on ANY spool of embroidery
thread and have found that I have even fewer issues.

So to sum things up this is what I use for ALL embroidery:

Top Stitch (or large eye) SHARP needle (usually 90/14)
Thread nets ("soft" kind)
Slowest embroidery speed possible (350 spm)
For FSL I use 2 layers of Floriani Wet n Gone stabilizer
For embroidery on other materials I use what works best for that time of fabric.
One layer of Floriani Heat n Gone floated on top of deep pile fabrics or terry towels.

Sometimes lots of naughty words when things don't want to go MY way LOL.

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 5313571)
I was having trouble with some types of thread shredding but since Quilty-Louise sent me some 90/14s no more problems. Now I use them for everything.

krysti 06-25-2012 11:09 AM

I just purchased a brother PE-770, and have no clue what I'm doing yet, and am a little apprehensive about starting anything. I've read alot of the posts here, until I got a little googly eyed, but am learning lots of info. I, too, wish this thread had its own forum; it would be alot easier to sort through stuff. Anyway, am looking forward to reading and learning more--maybe even enough to play with my machine :)

almond 06-25-2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by krysti (Post 5316025)
I just purchased a brother PE-770, and have no clue what I'm doing yet, and am a little apprehensive about starting anything. I've read alot of the posts here, until I got a little googly eyed, but am learning lots of info. I, too, wish this thread had its own forum; it would be alot easier to sort through stuff. Anyway, am looking forward to reading and learning more--maybe even enough to play with my machine :)

I have a brother very similar to yours and I to was afraid to use it. Just put some stabalizer in the hoop and thread the needle, attach the hoop to the machine, choose a pattern, put down the presser foot and push the green light. Trust me it will let you know if you do something wrong. Don't be afraid of it enjoy it. See if you can find someone else that has an embroidery machine to help you with getting started. Come to Iowa and I will help you. Good luck!

romanojg 06-25-2012 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Button (Post 5315214)
I too just found this thread and have been reading it for 2 days! Lots of helpful info. Here are some of my answers to questions.

1. I think this needs to be a separate thread. This one was started a few YEARS ago and still has interest.
2. I have a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0 with the 4-D Embroidery Software program.
3. I have done lots of things. Childrens clothes, bibs, t-shirts, tote bags, purses, etc. I have also done custom logos on shirts (I had the design digitized first).
4. Some of the web sites I like and use are: www.planetapplique.com; designsbyjuju.com; designsbysick.com; emblibrary.com; embroiderydesigns.com; fivestarfonts.com; buystitch.com
5. When I first got my machine, I ordered thread from designsbysick.com. I recieved very nice thread for about $1.00 a spool. This is the 1000 meter spool. They have on sale right now 50 spools of thread for 37.49 or 61 colors for 45.75. I haven't had any problems with their thread and will order more when I run out. I have also ordered stabilizers from them and have been pleased with the quality and price.
5. I store my embroidery unit in it's carrying case that fits perfectly behind the door of my fabric closet. But alot of the time I just leave it on the machine when I am sewing.
Love this thread and thanks for all the useful information.

Thanks for the great sites. Some I've heard about and then forgotten about. Others I hadn't heard about; I'll check them out. I just bought some Maximum thread at the quilt show in Raleigh; it was a great price so hopefully it'll do great. So far my Viking hasn't cared what thread or needles I've used in it and always does a great job; I'm hoping for the best with this thread. I'll let you all know. I just couldn't beat the price not to try a few spools.

cmw0829 06-25-2012 05:20 PM

Just thought I'd post my first embroidery project. Rushed to get it done for my son's girlfriend's birthday so I'm tired!! Birthday is tomorrow!

Here's a link to the picture.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t191629-3.html

Edited to add source of designs - all from Emblibrary.com - Asian section. Fabrics are batiks except for the white I used for the embroidery.