Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Which sewing machine for my wife >

Which sewing machine for my wife

Which sewing machine for my wife

Old 04-16-2020, 07:18 PM

Default Which sewing machine for my wife

Hello all, I'm Steven I'm from Wasilla Alaska. I do not sew, quilt embroider or stitch but my beautiful wife of 24 years does. Im actually looking to purchase her a New sewing,quilting machine. Hopefully someone can direct me to the proper location to to post my questions. Looking to purchase new Machine for my beautiful wife of 24 years. Shes been using the same 25 year old Kenmore that was purchased new for around a $100, which was max at time. Its actually done everything shes needed, not necessarily wanted, with a little TLC to this point. but like all things with age its having issues now. With life lived and kids growing up and years of sacrificing her wants for everyone needs and wants its time to upgrade her machine. She sews and quilts, she likes the Janome 6650 and Burnette 77 and Barnina 5 series and a juki but cant remember #. Please recommend which is more reliable and preferred by most and or other machines to consider.. Keep in mind we live in Alaska and will have limited option to let her try each machine. Service and support will be limited and will most likely have to purchase online If cant find a service center. Would like to keep price $2500 or less but could go $3000 Hope everyone is healthy and if your stuck in quarantine I hope your safe and spending it with loved ones.
Regards Steven

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-19-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: combine duplicate posts
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Default janome 6650 Burnette 77 OR ?

Looking to purchase new Machine for my beautiful wife of 24 years. Shes been using the same 25 year old Kenmore that was purchased new for around a $100, which was max at time. Its actually done everything shes needed, not necessarily wanted, with a little TLC to this point. but like all things with age its having issues now. With life lived and kids growing up and years of sacrificing her wants for everyone needs and wants its time to upgrade her machine. She sews and quilts, she likes the Janome 6650 and Burnette 77 and Barnina 5 series and a juki but cant remember #. Please recommend which is more reliable and preferred by most and or other machines to consider.. Keep in mind we live in Alaska and will have limited option to let her try each machine. Service and support will be limited and will most likely have to purchase online If cant find a service center. Would like to keep price $2500 or less but could go $3000 Hope everyone is healthy and if your stuck in quarantine I hope your safe and spending it with loved ones.
Regards Steven
Old 04-17-2020, 02:45 AM

How wonderful! Are you looking to surprise your wife? You might need her input a bit more, while versatile different machines are designed for different tasks although we can get by on some things.

After "what is it you want it to do", first consideration is always price. Sewing machines can be very affordable or into car territory... so our suggestions would be based on that. For those that say it brands depends on service departments, Anchorage is pretty well handled with the various vendors, about an hour+ or so away. Space is another issue. There are "quilting" machines that sit on a table, and there are "quilting" machines that have 12' long rails and are about 4' deep. When we say "embroidery machines" we are generally thinking of machines that can piece but are more dedicated to making things like logos or pictures, and not just fancy stitches.

Costco usually has a pretty reasonable deal on a machine, a month or so ago they had a "lower" model available for around $300 which is now not on line. They are currently carrying Janome machines, I got a Brother from them and it was a good little plastic machine for 5-7 years. The Janomes they currently offer are both over 1k last time I looked. You see the one has a larger what we call "throat space", for those of us who quilt (or have embroidery machines) typically we want the largest space we can get.
https://www.costco.com/sewing-machines.html

I mostly grew up in Alaska btw, but moved down south to the Seattle region back in 1983. I was able to go back a year or so ago and visited my BFF and we went to the State Fair among other things. Very vibrant quilter community up there, lots of little local shops. Was a family joke that my cat Palmer was called "Little Wasilla" by the others. He was named after Palmer Courtland, the character on All My Children and not after any town anyway, but that's part of the joke.

edit: About price, the Bernina I have retailed for about 10k new, even now used and10 years later it goes for 2-3k. But it isn't working and so I am using a bottom-of-the-line Brother that originally sold for under $100 because working beats non-working every day of the week! To get the Bernina fixed/serviced is probably going to be closer to $300, which I would normally use as my budget to buy a machine, but I can't get one with the deep throat, lighting, built in walking foot, stitch regulator and all the bells and whistles I've grown attached to.

The point is, there are many different levels of needs and many different machines with many different price points. I say to get what you need but always buy the best tools you can afford.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 04-17-2020 at 02:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:55 AM

While I do own both Janome and Bernina machines, It is too bad that you may not be able to test drive as I think a sewing machine purchase is personal to the individual. I would not trade my Janome 6600 or Bernina machines...good luck.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:17 AM

Bless you for thinking of your wife. After the two of you have chosen the perfect machine, she will surely enjoy the quilting board. Welcome to both of you from Southern Indiana.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:34 AM

A good thing to consider is what does she have now? Look around to see what the features and cost of her current machine are. Then make the new one a step or two up from there. Some basic features would be needle up/down. Thread cutter. And a walking food included in the pkg would be nice. Adjustable speed is helpful also. Good luck in the hunt
Old 04-17-2020, 05:07 AM

Sewing machines aren't a very good idea for a gift unless you already know what they want. Honest.

It looks like it's about 45 miles to Anchorage which has sewing machine sales. When we can travel again, go down there and she can test drive different machines, it is about the only way to ascertain what she'd be happy with. I wouldn't recommend ordering one online if she doesn't have real sewing experience, good dealers offer basics classes which are worth their weight in gold.

Best wishes and let us know what you get!

Old 04-17-2020, 05:12 AM

Welcome Steven to the QB! Glad to have you here with us. There are a great number of machines available and so much depends on what your budget can afford and what your wife uses her machine for. A good in expensive machine could be a Brothers machine that will embroider and sew for just over $300. To moderate machine that are from $400 to $1000 like a Janome. These are great quilting machines. Then there are more high end machines that could go as high and $10,000. Of course t here is every price range in between. The Bernina IMO is one of the best top of the line machines. However it is way out of my price range. For quilting I like a machine with a deeper throat if I can find one.
My personal favorite is a Janome. I have had mine now for 30 years with only one minor problem. I quilts great and I have made countless quilts using it. I also have a couple Brothers sew/embroidery machines that have seen me through many days. They too get a lot of use. You may consider this. I would not recommend it for quilting however. Now depending on the budget you could get her both of these machines and she would be able to do both function and have to great machines that can do it all.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:55 AM

I have a Janome 9400 and love it. Personally I would make sure that you have a dealer close by if it needs servicing no matter what the brand. I also agree it would be nice if she could test drive the machine before purchasing. Machines are very personal and how it feels to the individual is important.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:58 AM

Steven, the Janome line of machines would be a good start. The have prices ranging from $299-over $10,000.
Questions on her needs will determine specific recommendations. Does she sew garments, quilts or does she like machine embroidery. Perhaps both. Please let us know what type of sewing she does and what is your budget? There are some really good machines that are perfect garment and quilt sewing.....with installed decorative stitches, then there are those that are actual embroidery machines that you can also do garment and quilt making on. Depends on how much of the type of sewing you choose.
We can better help you with models for you to review if you post this information. Thank you so much. You wife is very lucky to have such a caring husband.