Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The "A" (as in applique) word >

The "A" (as in applique) word

The "A" (as in applique) word

Old 09-06-2010, 04:45 PM

I do both hand and machine applique.
I am taking a class and found that you can use any stitch to machine applique. I have a Pfaff 4.0 so I have lots of different stitiches.
I don't know what you have but you can use a zig zag, button hole, satin stitch, blind hem etc.
I use heat and bond but the last quilt I did was quite stiff.
I am not sure if that is because it was old or what. I just bought new yesterday so I will let you know.
Hope this helps
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I have only hand appliqued but I haven't done that many to experiment with other means.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 PM

I do both techniques, and enjoy them all. If you cut your fuseable to the exact size you want, then leave at least an
/8 inch margin, you can turn your piece before you hand stitch it down. Then use either the button hole stitch or satin stitch to trim if you like. But it isn't necessary. I am hooked, just finished Lorraine's Garden, and am now starting a sunflower table topper that is my on the run project.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Dee

My favorite is applique. Machine or by hand.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM

I use heat and bond light weight or the one that says sewable. I used the heavey duty once and what a mess I had trying to machine stitch the blanket stitch. Gummed my needle terrible. The lighter weight is very good and then use the blanket stitch on your machine if you have it.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:37 PM

This may sound silly, but the reason I'm hooked on hand applique is because I took a class that made just one block, and fell absolutely in love with the fabric. I had to buy enough to finish the entire quilt. I keep my applique project in my purse, along with the threads I'll be using. One tip I learned, and love to use, is the double stick applique tape. Once you submerge it in water, it is supposed to disappear. In the meantime, I can lay out an entire block, and slowly sew through the different layers as I am ready. The other pieces are stuck in place, so every time I pull out my block, I'm reminded how beautiful it will look when I'm done. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:02 PM

My quilt friend told me to get Karen Kay Buckley's DVD on applique. I did and it is very good. I started a BOM with a lot of applique and I have come to the conclusion, hand applique may not be my thing. My learning curve is too steep. I have machine appliqued by using a light fusible and doing a small zigzag stitch. I go around once with a smaller stitch not to close together, then I go around the second time with a little bit wider stitch a little tighter stitch. Karen Kay does it with a blind hem stitch which I have not tried.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:21 PM

Bucket, where do you get the double stick applique tape? I've never heard of it before.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by lynmh
I do the real deal applique--although if you like the fusible or machine applique there is NOTHING bad about it. I just happen to love to needle turn.

lyn
Fusible and machine applique is as "real deal" as needle turn.
Yes it is. I've done both and I don't think one is easier than the other.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by daylily4u
Hi Joanie2, I have tried doing my applique by machine and can not get the corners or points even, it ends up looking like a total mess to me. So I do the turned applique, I enjoy sitting and working on my project while I listening to the tv. I could say that I am watching tv, but only bits of it!! The part that I dislike about applique is---Cutting all the pieces out! Once I get this all done I am so excited to get the piece together. So get going, I would love to see your applique block or quilt. You can do it! Its the STARTING that is the HARDEST. lol
daylily4, I listen to audio books while doing hands and machine sewing. I use my imagination for the pictures and keep my eyes on my stitches. It is so fun.