Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"I Love binding my quilts" >

"I Love binding my quilts"

"I Love binding my quilts"

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Yes there is a business for it if it is reasonable price. I am actually trying to find someone locally to do that for me. I know it is easy for me but it is time consuming (takes a lot from my piecing time and now from my long arm quilting. I have more than 10 tops ready to be quilted next week i wish you were close to me :(
Old 06-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by JANNY
I know there are a lot of quilters who do not like to do the last thing to finish on their quilt, the binding. I love to sit and do that hand binding. It is very relaxing for me and I love it. I was wondering if there is a market out there for this service? Does anyone do this? Charge by the size? What liability is involved with the quilt? I do all my own hand quilting and can provide samples of my work for comparison. Thanks for any comments and suggestions.
Hi,

I'll be happy to share my limited experience with you. I just recently paid my LAer to bind a wedding quilt for me as I have hand issues that prevent me from hand binding comfortably.

Her price list included these charges:

Sewing binding on by hand to the back of the quilt - .15 per linear inch

Sewing binding by machine to the front and then to the back by hand - .25 per linear inch.

For this quilt, size 96 X 104" or there about the charge was $99.00. I assumed that because she posted these prices that she had a good idea of how long these jobs would take her.

When I went to pick up the quilt, her husband made a comment about how much longer it took her to do my binding and hoped I understood what a great deal I was getting. Obviously, this husband was way out of line with his comment to me, and, I had signed a contract that this professional drew up prior to starting on my quilt that she did honor. Point being, make sure you know how long these things take so you don't end up taking it in the shorts.

Hope this helps,
Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 PM

There is no way that I would bind a quilt for $10.00. I am too slow because I do it by hand instead of a machine.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I wish you lived near me. i could keep you busy.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM

I love to bind I think because I crossstitch and it's very relaxing plus it finishes off the quilt.I live in Baltimore I would love to do it for other people I do have a crossstitching job one of my friends want me to crossstitch a christmas stocking for her for her granddaughter.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:52 PM

My sewing teacher charges 10.00 an hour to bind a quilt
Old 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM

I do binding for some people. :) If people provide me the binding and it's sewn to the front of the quilt already, I hand stitch it to the back for 5 cents per inch. Or, if someone has the binding, I'll machine stitch it to the front and hand stitch to the back for 15 cents per inch.