Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 PM

You could send them a "Thank you but I respectfully decline your offer as it's disadvantages of continuation far exceed the advantages of being associated with a mean spirited company such as yours"

As a true southern gentleman, I'm sure you can always call a man a cur and let them end up thanking you and smiling :)
Old 01-21-2011, 01:51 PM

oooh - that reminds me - I need to call and cancel that magazine. Out of the entire year, there was only ONE quilt that I would have considered making - and then 2 or 3 issues later, there was a second quilt almost identical to it. sigh. Not good at all.

I'm so sorry that they sent you that nasty gram. I need to give them a call since I don't bother to open the letters from them since I have no desire to renew...
Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Did one of the notices ask you to mark No thanks if you didn't want to renew? Most subscriptions automatically renew if you don't send in a cancellation notice. And from their point of view, you owe it per the original agreement. It is annoying which is why I seldom order magazines.
I didn't realize that. Unless you sign a contract for more than a year, I don't think it is our responsibility to tell them we don't want to renew. By not receiving a payment should tell them, we don't want anymore magazines.
Sirus radio is real bad about that, as well. They give six months free. I say, fine and dandy. If I want it passed the six months, I will let you know. I never asked for the free six months and I shouldn't have to tell you that I don't want it anymore.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:53 PM

I agree it sounds like it was auto-renewed. I hate magazines that do that.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

bad pay. they don't send mags unless you pay! mcCalls had me down twice. said i owed them one year and the other was paid ahead. duh!! i made them cancel and refund my money. no more subscripstions in my life.
if they continue, report them to the BBB.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM

The thing that bugs me about most quilting magazines is that after paying for a 3 year subscription, you almost immediately start receiving letters asking if you want to renewal.

I keep good records of what I order and how long it is for.

Lanny
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I called them just now and gave them an earful of what I thought of it. They apologized, said it was a form letter, blah, blah, blah. I told them to cancel me and to never contact me again.
I would report them to BBB anyway. This kind of nonsense has got to stop.
That's why I hesitate to subscribe to any magazine now. Too much hassle.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Wow, that's quite a hassle. I better check some of the quilting magazine notices I've been getting. I had subscriptions to a couple but decided not to renew and have just been tossing all the notices right in the recycling bin. I just figured if I didn't send them a check, they would quit sending me magazines.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Originally Posted by np3
Did one of the notices ask you to mark No thanks if you didn't want to renew? Most subscriptions automatically renew if you don't send in a cancellation notice. And from their point of view, you owe it per the original agreement. It is annoying which is why I seldom order magazines.
I didn't realize that. Unless you sign a contract for more than a year, I don't think it is our responsibility to tell them we don't want to renew. By not receiving a payment should tell them, we don't want anymore magazines.
Sirus radio is real bad about that, as well. They give six months free. I say, fine and dandy. If I want it passed the six months, I will let you know. I never asked for the free six months and I shouldn't have to tell you that I don't want it anymore.
Always read the fine print, especially when it is a trial offer.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

I had the same thing happen with Country Living Magazine. I wrote "Cancel" on the invoice and sent it back - twice. The third time I reminded them that I had told them to cancel it two times before. I hope it worked this time.

They are trying to get people to pay with the fear of having it go against their credit rating!