Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Question: I assume you have not been getting the magazines?
Actually, my subscription doesn't run out until April 2011. When I signed up back in January 2010, my first issue came in April 2010. So my subscription really is just now running out. Yet, they've been dunning me for months to renew, and today I got this notice saying that I was going on their "bad pay list". When I called them this afternoon, I spoke with a supervisor there and told here that I thought their notice was totally unacceptable and that I could not believe a company like them would send out something like that. She got both barrels from me.
Good for you! Until we all pay attention and keep speaking up, businesses will continue to use scare tactics.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 AM

In the distant past I went round and round with Reader's Digest because they didn't credit the check I had sent for a year's subscription and continually harrassed me for payment. I wrote, I wrote and sent them a copy of the cancelled check, I wrote and asked them to give the information to "someone who cared." I called. It took me almost a year to straighten it out and was such an exercise in futility. It was so long ago that the subscription amount was under $10 if I remember right.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Holy Cow. I thought that a magazine would just stop sending renewal notices if they didn't get any responses from several of their mailings to you. That sounded rude to the nth degree. What are you going to do?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Yes I have had this experience in the past, what I do with them no matter how many they send, is return them in their postage paid envelope with a black permanent marker written across the entire bill, CANCEL PLEASE! Worked for me. I no longer get any magazines. Why pay that price when what you are looking for is usually free on the net somewhere. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM

As I stated before the creating of a magazine is done by a company which gives a contract to another one for distribution. If the distribution company hassles you., please write or e-mail to the Editor of the magazine, One letter may be put aside, if they receive ten or fifteen a day, they will take action. Another is to write to the Consumer"s magazine and ask them to inquire about that problem and write an article about it,
Old 01-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Good for you! I've had problems with Cook's Illustrated to the point where I wanted to go to Vermont and throttle the dude with the bow tie. They charge a fortune for the magazine and act like they are the absolute word in the world of cooking magazines. It is cooking, not brain surgery and then when I didn't respond to all the mail they called me.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM

I have subscribed to several magazines but none lately. When time to renew I recieved a 'complimentary' magazine, but just let it ride. I never was billed. I have heard other stories about DVD's and such. I just recieved 4 Disney DVD's I never ordered. If I did not order them they must be complimentary. I will call. But if they want themback they will pay the shipping. I am hearing alot about this kind of thing lately.
Diane/Wyoming
Old 01-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Between those and the ones that send you a "sample" copy that you didn't ask for, then you have to unsubscribe or they bill you. I just send the invoice back marked cancel. They cannot charge you for something you did not order. Makes me mad too
Old 01-22-2011, 01:00 PM

Quilting magazines are not the only ones who are sending threatening letters. Several of my subscriptions are doing the same. Also what I paid 19.99 last year for is offered for 8.00 this year.
Magazines are to full of advertisements. I am going to pass on them for awhile. :thumbdown: :evil:
Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 PM

I stopped subscribing because some magazines appeal to me one month and maybe not the next. I buy off the rack. If it 'speaks' to me I thumb through it and ask myself again if I really want it. Sometimes I can't afford it. If I come back and still want it and have the money, yeah, I might buy it. The really telling question: 'Would I rather have the money to make quilts?' If the answer is yes - I don't buy.
Diane/Wyoming