Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics >

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

"Quilt" magazine and their strongarm renewal tactics

Old 01-23-2011, 12:26 PM

I agree with you. Many of the patterns in magazines aren't what I'd choose to make. I have the same problem with scrapbooking magazines. Things are a little too "far out" for me to want to make them.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM

I received a card from some quilting magazine, I forgot what the name of it was now, but it said we will automatically send you this magazine unless you check the block below saying :do not send. Well, I checked do not send and put it in the mailbox. That afternoon, the card was still in my mailbox, there was no prestamp on it. I even would have had to put one of my stamps on it, but I didn't. I am gonna wait until the book comes in and just put return to sender on it and send it back.

The way that companies try to who-do us now! It is a crying shame. :thumbdown:
Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM

This is why I very rarely subscribe to magazines. Recently I have had a new problem of receiving "complimentary subscriptions" to magazines that I have now interest in. It took considerable effort to find contact information to tell them to stop sending these. I finally got someone who supposedly removed my name from their list and, low and behold, 4 month later another one showed up, this one in my sons name ( he has not lived in the US for 5 yrs now).
I find it very annoying to have to waste my time undoing something I did not ask for.
I very carefully look at any offer and if it is automatic renewal, I decline. I consider this a predatory practice and am concerned for the elder people who may not be able to read or understand the very fine print they like to use in these promotions.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 AM

I have gotten them before and it ticked me off. I have stopped all but one of my quilt magazines. There are too expensive.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
Most of them start sending renewal notices almost as soon as the first issue of the subscription is mailed out. Nothing on the renewal notices gives you a clue when your subscription really expires.
Yep - I find that I start getting renewal notices after only a couple months of delivery. :roll:
Expiration date of the subscription should be on the mailing label.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric
I have stopped all but one of my quilt magazines. There are too expensive.
I've recently started going to a large book store that happens to have a coffee shop in it - grabbing a cup of coffee and browsing the magazines while I drink. I only buy now if I absolutely think I'm actually going to make something in the magazines (usually not).....I do the same with my scrapbook magazines anymore.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by raksmum
Mine is up for renewal with Quilt also and I keep getting the notices. I did receive a magazine with the last one and was surprised to see that if I renew I will have to pay $4.00 more for my subscription than if I were to order the magazine from the card that is inside the mag. Go figure, I guess being a previous and current customer isnt worth as much to them as being a new one. This has made me decide to not renew.
I've experienced that with other quilt magazines too (BHG APQ is the worst I've seen) They don't offer longtime subscribers a better rate for renewal - but they'll give it to brand NEW subscribers ?? I was a charter subscriber, but no more. I contacted them about it and they still would not give me the better rate, after 15 yrs as a subscriber ?? WHO'S in charge of their marketing ?? NO wonder most magazines are on the decline ! :roll:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I agree it sounds like it was auto-renewed. I hate magazines that do that.
I've had this happen with several subsc. recently. I guess it's their new practice as they try to stay afloat !! NOT the way to do it, by harassing good customers ! :(
Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Wow that realy stinks. I have never had that happen before from Quilt or any other mag. The only reason I renewed my Southern Living is because I got two free gifts subscriptions all for only 21.95. So DD & BFF got a free mag.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:20 PM

For people getting unwanted packages, write "REFUSED" on the front in black marker and leave at your front door. The postman sends it back.

I used to have a lot of old folks living here and, as you know, they are targeted by companies with these kind of disreputable tactics. The fake billing and unsolicited packages continue to arrive long after the people listed have died. My postman told me about "REFUSED" and I'm grateful for it.

One word of caution, make sure it is something you definitely want to refuse. It's pretty easy to accidentally return something you are waiting for due to an unfamiliar return address.