Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "Quilters" do you fall in this category?

Blog Entries
    Here's how I stack up:
    Space: I sew in the bedroom, cut at the kitchen table, my machine quilting frame sits in the livingroom and I store things everywhere!
    Notions: Over, way over! :oops:
    Fabric: Yep, over on that, too!

I'm pretty close!! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    No to everything. I like to be outside the square tho. :shock: :lol: :roll:
    Same here....do I detect a pattern...could Aussies be considered "renegades"....

I am younger than the average.
    I do not have a dedicated room for quilting, but I pretty much have the run of forty acres and access to most of a library at the Post.
    I am probably above average on the $$ of tools, especially if you consider magazines and books as part of that realm.
    I am waaaayyy ahead of the value of the fabric.
    I should probably apologize to someone, but I can't think of who that might be at the moment.

here's how I stack up
    age 70
    have a sewing room, small bedroom on second floor
    not a whole lot of money spent on mats and cutters etc
    lots of fabric given to me from a neighbor.

Well, I almost fit. 69, and actually have a smallish sewing room and another room I use for cutting and measuring and storing books and magazines as well as other asundry items not related to quilting. Also use it for wrapping presents, etd. Don't quite the $$ in tools yet, although my 2 new sewing machines certainly upped the ante. Where do patterns fit in?. The material I am probably under yet, but have only been quilting for a couple of years.

guess i need to get busy to make the average grade.
    i'm 15 years below the age. have slowly been taking over the formal living room for sewing. (it has never been used as a formal living room) Including the piano in my sewing room i might have $3500 in equipment. No way near that amount in stash. Hubby would cut up my favorite credit card if i had more then $1000 in fabric laying around waiting to be quilted.

Well over 62, do have my own sewing room but no way do I have that much money invested in equipment and supplies or in fabric. I would if I had the room to store it and the money to purchase it with. LOL

age coming on 51 in a hurry have been sewing for 40 plus years, actual quilting just the past 5 or 6 years. As for space i have material, machines , and accessories in every room of the house including the bathroom where i store finished tops in vaccum sealed bags. material replacement cost at todays prices is very seriously close to 40k. DH is starting to protest when i bring in any thing new even if it is reclcled item, not that it will stop me (lol)

I thought I was average, but according to these stats I am 'below average' across the board.

Yes I am and will be getting another Sewing machine at the first week in December and getting more fabric from a shop that is coming to my quilt group next Wednesday.

no we are not renegades just like to work outside the box when it comes to quilting.

Very close--in all categories!

This is me....

I've been quilting for 2 yrs. I'm 65 yrs. old. I sew in a spare bedroom and keep supplies and fab. there. I bought a Janome, rather basic sewing machine which I love. I've made about 5 quilts, taken a quilting class for 5 weeks. Two of the quilts still have to be batted and backed. They're beatiful tops, but what is it about the final steps of completing a quilt that I read so many are guilty of. Is it a psychological "thing" or what. I truly want to know what it really is: why so many quilt tops are yet to be made into the final sandwich?
    Also, oh boy! One of my unfinished projects is a Yellow Brick Road pattern of batiks and other complementary fabrics. Then I purchase some lime Minkee for the backing. No batting necessary I was advised. So I stitched in the ditch....A very hard technique for me to accomplish. I used a walking foot, too. I fail in keeping my stitching right in the ditch. Frustrating. I've ripped out hundreds of stitches. Any advice on sewing straight stitches in a ditch???????????

4 yrs ago I fit the age, but everything is pretty much on track. Although I have a lot of fabric I'm not sure it would total that much. I've been stashing for years. With the FQ and frame my equipment is there.

I'm truly a wealthy woman!!

I'm 69, have my sewing house, you can find something related to quilting into every room, When I buy equipment I go for the best quality I can afford, as a Canadian my stash value is twice the one of an American woman because we pay
    around $15,00 a meter and between $3.50 and $4.50 a fat quarter.

I am way past that age, I am 86 and doing more sewing than when I was younger. Just got a sewing room all for sewing and all for me.Although I have been quilting for about 12 years, I don't have quite that much invested in tools and fabric. Th

Blog Entries
    I think that as skills and interests go, amongst us quilters,
    piecing is a separate thing altogether from finishing/quilting the project.

I definitely know people who rack up lots of flimsies, loving to do the piecing, but then never quite get them stacked and backed and quilted - don't like that part of it.

Probably that's why there is such a market for machine quilters. Maybe the machine quilters like to piece or maybe they don't, but they definitely fill a gap in getting other people's quilt tops from flimsy to finished.

Well, I'm not 62 Yet! I had a sewing room, but both of my grown children moved home and now I have taken over maybe a third of my bedroom (thankfully, I have a large bedroom!) You soon realize how much 'stuff' you've acquired when you have to move it! And I think mpspeedy is right, the longer you've been quilting, the more you acquire. I started quilting 22 years ago, but I had an old $100 Sears machine and when my husband bought me a new Janome for our 25th I really got chugging! Then I found that the more I quilted, then I really wanted to start embroidery. So a few years later he got me a Bernina for another anniversary. Tools, supplies and fabric -- I'm not sure, but between what I have used and what I have given to family members who I hooked! (ha!) plus donations to my guild, I just may have. But again, it's great therapy right? What else could you do and have this much fun and relaxation!

Almost to the age--I am 59. Yes, most likely, to the fabric but my "tools" wouldn't add up to $8500. I have a dedicated room for quilting. Most of my adult life (except for 18 years that the oldest child lived at home) I have had a sewing room. When the first child moved out, he got to sleep on the hideabed when he came home for vacations. When the second one moved out I got a guest room/computer room.
    If they ever need to move home for any reason I may convert the living room to a bedroom rather than give up the quilting space..........

You are right on!!! I am there.

Blog Entries
    that's me. 62, sewing room, lots of tools, but I'm not sure I have that much fabric.

Blog Entries
    Well, converting the living room wouldn't do my situation any good. I've given up three bedrooms in my home to my son and his two children. Even though he's in Iraq for another six months (I hope not any longer), I can't use his bedroom because of all his gear he has in there. My quilting and sewing is done in my bedroom. I may have to convert the dining room if this goes on more than six more months. I feel crowded in my room because it isn't that big a room. Oh, well, you do what you can where you can, right?

Dkm
    Fits me.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast