Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: "Quilters" do you fall in this category?

*The average age of quilter is 62 years old.
    I'm not even half of that yet! Only 29

*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.

This I have. I wouldn't even consider a house that didn't have one. It made house shopping interesting, drove my poor husband crazy! His extact words were if you gave up quilting till you were 80 like a normal person we wouldn't have such a hard time finding a place. ( I won, we still found one we both loved! We move in on Friday!)
    *On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.
    I don't think it's that much... but it would interesting to add it all up.

*A quilter will also have $3700.00 invested in purchased fabric.
    It may be close but I'd rather not think about that.

Thats me, except I'm a little short on the years. :lol:

Blog Entries
    way over the average on every thing! age +4
    Fabric over 30 years and over 300 quilts, well lets see, say 5 yards for each quilt, (I get 5 yards of 45" for the back of a queen size ).OK 5X300= 1500, now times that for cost of it by the yard, , lets say $7.00 per yard, that's $10,500, and I know I have at least 1000, yards on hand right now, so yep way over the mark on that one. tools? yep way, way over, I get every new gadget that coves out it seams. Every size and color of matts, just down to 9 rottery cutters now, (gingher one comes in it's own tin for about $75.00) and I have every size gingher scissors, and love their snips! yep so easy to over on that one. Only have 7 machines right now, but yep went over on that one too. yes have 3 rooms for my studio in the house we have now, oh yeah I'm over on every thing so brings up average LOL and how about EQ? I got EQ2, then got my very first computer to use it on, have gotten a couple of the stashes and block base, and up-graded each time they came out with new one, till noe just have EQ6 need to up grade to 7 yet. We have not even covered 30 years worth of books and mags, shelfs of them!!!
    OK I also dey and paint some of my fabrics, wont even go into how many tools and goodies I got for that part LOL but lets just say I am ready to paint with oh may 6 sets of different kinds of paint. all for fabric~
    irons,tables, sewing desks, cutting tables, 8 sewing chairs oh yes so easy to go over what they say we spend, LOL

Nope

Only 24

I don't have my own space. I've commandeered the coffee table as my sewing table part of the time.

I have nowhere near even 1k worth of stuff. Always room for improvement though :)

Blog Entries
    lets figure this one, queen size log cabin, uses 15 yards of fabric, for strips cut in 1. &1/2 inchs for finished one inch logs and 5 yards for the back , that is 20 per quilt, we will not count the batt. I have made 30 full/queen log cabin quilts, So for those alone spent over $5000. It really adds up after a time!

Blog Entries
    so sorry for double post, tried to deleat it, but no go :oops:

Except for the age. I turn 50 this year.

Yep, I'm pretty much in the running too. But at 58, I don't skew the stats like our great 20 somethings do. This is a good group to be a part of the stats!

Count me in except for age. It sounds about right but I've been quilting for years. Listen to me try to justify it. True, it's all true.

seemingly in the land of infants & toddlers!
    Yep, that's pretty much me too, except for the age part. But don't hold your breath, I'm creeping up there pretty darn fast! Not too sure about the supply amt, since my machine is not that fancy, Jenome 7000, but I guess if you add my half of the Gammill I share w/my mom...yep! definitely at the $8500 (+!)
    This little fact makes us all worth our weight in gold, then, right??!

Guilty as charged!!! I am now looking at increasing the size of my sewing room...12 X 24...it's too small and I have run out of room and I want a long arm machine...LOL

No to all four!!

I fit into about everything except I'll be 58 next month. It is amazing when you figure out dollar wise that you have actually spent that much but it wasn't like over night! LOL

I used to belong to a professional quilters group. One of the members publishes a newsletter for other quilt professionals. She brought back similar stats from her visit to the big Quilt Market in Houston several years ago. Having attended a large quilt show in Hershey PA last week I would say the people I saw there pretty much fit the criteria. Advertizers etc. spend a lot of money doing surveys so that they can target their markets. The older woman whose family is grown and out of the house usually has the most disposable income for an expensive hobby like quilting as well as the space for fabric and equipment.

It sounds like me but not the age.

Getting closer.

My husband says I could open a quilt store with all my fabric.

I have been down in the basement refolding with a ruler.

What a difference that makes in storing them less wasted space.

I am 52 so a little shy on the age. Yes I have a dedicated room. The equipment cost was high, probably 5K would be it---now if they are talking full retail then yes I have that much. I dont have that much in stash either, now what I have in made quilts, yes that would be truer.

I'm 33, I share my bedroom with my sewing supplies, With my notions, equipment AND fabric, I might come close to having $1000 worth of supplies.
    Without a doubt though, if I had the money it would be spent on fabric and equipment. Someday my Prince will come and I'll know its him cuz he'll bring me fabric not flowers!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I'm getting closer and closer to the age. I'm way past the room---pretty much the whole upstairs and it's almost 2000 sq feet. If you count all the machines, rulers, mats, tables, etc. I might be over on the notions thing or at least close. However on the fabric I'm WAY over.
    hope you have insurance on it a "rider".

I think Im an over achiever at 43.......is this a bad thing?LOL

guilty.... LOL

Blog Entries
    For there to be an average there has to be a high and a low. I am way above average on everything but the age. :lol:

Don't fit into any of that .... yet. But give me time :D

Not there yet but working on it! Maybe by the time I'm 62 I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by pvquilter
    Read this in an article and thought I would share:
    Just a few quilting statistics:
    *The average age of quilter is 62 years old.

I'm 57 years old - getting close.

*About 85 percent of quilters have a room dedicated to quilting activities at home.

Yessiree!

*On average, a quilter will have $8500.00 worth of tools and supplies for quilting.

++on this one!

*A quilter will also have $3700.00 invested in purchased fabric.

-- on this one!

Is this you? I know I fall in that category. Give me your thoughts. :lol: :oops: :roll:
    Close! :-)

60 years young, have my own room, maybe about 5,000 in equipment, and the fabric I am sure I have that much and more, got to love it :) :thumbup:

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast