Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Short Arm Quilter" >

"Short Arm Quilter"

"Short Arm Quilter"

Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Does anyone have a New Joy Quilting Frame that uses an 8 or 9 inch machine bed on it? If so, do you like it? I have just bought one and I'm not sure if that was wise.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM

I don't know about the new Joy. I have a Grace GMQ frame with a 9" throat Juki and I love it. I want a long arm, but for the next year or so, I'm practicing and getting ready on this one.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:29 PM

I have a Grace frame with a Pfaff with 9" throat. I, too, want a longarm!!! It's what I can afford now and I'm able to do small "quilting".....and a lot of meandering!!! It's a HECK of a lot better than trying to do a big quilt on the sewing machine! BTW - my Grace frame WILL take up to an 18" throat...so I may upgrade just the machine some day...
Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 PM

I have a Juki 9" on a New Joy Gold Standard frame. Haven't had it long, but so far, I am impressed. I also would love a longarm, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon...unless I win the lottery ;-)

My frame will fit up to a 13" machine, but if I upgrade, it would be at least a 16".
Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I have the Grace frame and a Juki machine. I quilted for a number of years with the Juki and no frame. It got the job done, but with a frame it is much easier. Someday maybe a longarm, but for now this is great.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:57 PM

The New Joy with a Janome 1600DBX on it was the first system I had. After I worked out the kinks & got over being intimidated by it, I loved it!
We bought a Gammill Classic in 2007. My husband does all my quilting now. I just don't like the big machine. I really hate that we sold the NJ & Janome.
This set up will do lots of quilts for you.
Check out the home quilting systems group on Yahoo. They have lots of info there for you.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I have a Grace frame with a Pfaff with 9" throat. I, too, want a longarm!!! It's what I can afford now and I'm able to do small "quilting".....and a lot of meandering!!! It's a HECK of a lot better than trying to do a big quilt on the sewing machine! BTW - my Grace frame WILL take up to an 18" throat...so I may upgrade just the machine some day...
Sounds like what I have, when I finally figured it out, no regrets, glad not to be bunching up fab, or rolling around on the floor, not saying that it couldn't be upgraded, but good where I'm at !! :)
Hope you enjoy the new frame !! :D :D :thumbup:
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement. That helps my feelings alot. Maybe I will enjoy it more as I practice.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:04 AM

I have a Gracie with a Janome 1600DBX and love it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 AM

I bought the new joy frame and have a Janome 1600 on it. I have had it for over two years and haven't done a thing with it, partially because I gave my sewing room to a teenage nephew for a year and then when I got the room back after he moved out, I had to repaint the room becuase it smelled like BOY! Anyway, I am going to be getting it up and running within the next month or so.

I am glad I bought it, even if I haven't used it. I can dream about all the quilts I am eventually going to do on it. He he.