Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Want to"  vs "Ability" >

"Want to" vs "Ability"

"Want to" vs "Ability"

Old 07-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Maybe you are the next Charisma :wink:

Looks good from here. Keep up the good work.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 AM

I think it's great. My goal is to do feathers but I'm not there yet! Hope you love your new machine and will show us your progress on it.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
It looks better now than a year ago, but still not ready to put it on a quilt. Hopefully with the new machine on a frame things will improve. You all just cant see all the mistakes and the crossed stitches, its bad!
I thought the picture was lovely. If only you can see the mistakes, perhaps that suggests that they are larger in your own mind than in anyone else's eyes?

Practise, practise and more practise is what produces proficiency. Research indicates that the magic number is 10,000. Hours of practise, that is! That certainly has proven true for me in my area of professional expertise (not quilting... yet).

It doesn't mean you have to practise 10,000 hours before producing something that is satisfying and beautiful. During the entire process, you'll be improving more and more. And when you are doing something that is important to you, the practise itself is satisfying.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 AM

I dream of doing that!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:52 AM

Good grief! If one of us had put up that post you'd be saying what everyone else is - it looks TERRIFIC! And it does!!! While there's always farther to go on the learning curve (at least to ourselves!) I'd say you are pretty far along. It truly is lovely.

As far as buying the new "expensive machine" - this might sound funny, but it very well might help. Not because you don't have the ability, but when I got mine it increased my confidence, and that goes a long way.

You have lots of talent, not just quilting. That post was very clever. When I first joined this board and was reading everything in site, I came across an older thread about what us quilters do to make it look like we had been doing other things than quilting all day (ahem, like housework...) and I laughed at your post in that thread for days.

You've got it goin' on, girl, just keep doing what you're doing! All of it!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 AM

LOL, we are struggle with those two issues. Your quilt looks great. Ability comes with lots of practice. Congratulation on getting a new machine.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:57 AM

Are you kidding? This looks GREAT!! You need to stop comparing your work with others. Comparing your work to others is a sure fire way to guarantee that you'll never be happy with your own style and creativity.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 AM

looks great to me
Old 07-02-2011, 06:03 AM

I think you are being to hard on yourself. It look great.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Are you kidding me!? It looks wonderful. I don't know how long Charisma has been doing it, but practice makes perfect - well - since there is no such thing as "perfect" we only try for perfection. You have NOTHING to complain about. Keep up the beautiful work.