Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"White" (brand name) sewing machine >

"White" (brand name) sewing machine

"White" (brand name) sewing machine

Old 09-24-2011, 11:38 AM

I just gave my White away on CL today. It was the 1755-plastic case, but metal innards, from the early 90's. That little machine chugged through a LOT of curtains, cushions, costumes, clothes, you name it.

I kept it as my backup when I got the Pfaff 130, but then I found the Nelco, and decided to keep that as my backup, and pass this one on to a new sewer in need of decent machine.

Also, you might consider putting a screwdriver and flashlight in your purse and going back to ask them if you can take the top off and check it out. If it's got the metal innards, I say go for it!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I have a White treadle with all the attachments. Need a new belt... I also have a circa 1948 White in a walnut desk cabinet that I learned to sew on. Seems to me that White also made the Kenmore (sears) brand.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM

My mom bought a White machine back in the early '50's. She sewed a lot for herself and me and it never went in for repairs. It was a "cabinet" model where the machine itself went down into the cabinet and it made a decent-looking piece of furniture in our living room back then. Mom died in 1993, and I sold that machine for 15.00. The lady that bought it didn't even sew, just wanted it for the table that contained it.

I've been kicking myself ever since. I have 2 computerized machines, which seem to give me some problems occasionally. That old White iron horse was great. The only thing I did keep is the little screwdriver that came with it, and I use it every time I sew. It's the best.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM

I've got one of the White quilter models - don't know the number or anything and it is upstairs and I am down. I got it to use in the motor home while traveling. It runs quite well. It is the one I let my granddaughter sew on as it has a speed adjustment and we can slow it down for her. Don't know who makes them now but the White brand has been around a long time.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
I think I need to get back to the store this morning and take a closer look. Haven't been able to get it off of my mind. Thanks to the QB it never crossed my mind to have a back up - you know, perfect world and all. I wasn't thinking but I see it posted here often. Yikes! Thanks for your helpful information and wish me luck!
Were you able to get it? I sure hope so. ;)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM

I did! Want to fmq on it but still don't know if I can. It runs great, actually purrs. I really need to sit down n play with it to get acquainted. Have hope of using it on my next quilt. Its beautiful!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scakes
I've got one of the White quilter models - don't know the number or anything and it is upstairs and I am down. I got it to use in the motor home while traveling. It runs quite well. It is the one I let my granddaughter sew on as it has a speed adjustment and we can slow it down for her. Don't know who makes them now but the White brand has been around a long time.
That sounds neat!! :)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
I did! Want to fmq on it but still don't know if I can. It runs great, actually purrs. I really need to sit down n play with it to get acquainted. Have hope of using it on my next quilt. Its beautiful!
I'd love to see pictures! I love love love sewing machines!! I have a 99K Singer-She is awesome-I call her Baby, a 128 Singer w/knee bar-it has the rough finish-BEAUTIFUL! I call her Pretty, 2 Brothers and a 1947 Kenmore in a bronze color in the original cabinet. I use the 99 the most. I was gifted a Design A Quilt quilting machine (12' Table) about 3 weeks ago. I've not gotten to play with it much because we are remodeling. I can't wait to get to do some quilts on it.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 PM

I think mine is relatively new. Was the model # 1955? Cant remember and too lazy to look. How bout I know it has 2 5's? It has freearm, which I could care about but that tells me its newer. Lucky you on the gifted quilter! I may go that direction but for now dsm is fine. I think I need someone to gift me . . .hint hint. Ive never fmq and am anxious to give it a try. Need to see if I even can on the white n then get the foot.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Unfortunately, the machines that I have won't drop the feed dogs.