Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: $12.99/yd Jo-ann fabric

I find the prices for the quality of fabric high at Joanns...even with a coupon, I do like going into our lqs, the girls are all familiar with fabric and patterns and quilting......I still pay 10.00 a yard but they are knowlegable and friendly..sorry you had a bad experiance at joanns ...I do buy a lot of fabric from my daughters shop....and pay full price, the fabrics being printed today are beautiful....I almost hate to cut into them.....you have a good attitude about your experience....and your quilt is beautiful.....
    Last edited by yetta; 05-10-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: hit send button too soon
    Proud Mother of Sarah Grey
    Grey's Fabric and Notions
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/greysfabric?ref=seller_info

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Is it just me or has fabric gotten lots more expensive? Seems like not that long ago $10 a yard was the high end of quilting fabric & now...
    Thr drought in the south the last couple years has caused a cotton shortage, hence the higher fabric prices. Don't suppose a couple good years will bring it back down though.

In case you havent price shopped them , Jo Anns has gotten themselves into a box with no way out, prices are inflated to cover the 40 and 50 percent coupons they give. EVEN with their coupon they are sometimes more than competitors, depends on where you shop and how much you value convenience.
    pat design

Blog Entries
    totally agree. I was at Joann's just yesterday and shocked that some of the calicos were now $7.99 but on sale for 30% off. Otherwise, wouldn't have wasted the money. The fabric wasn't for a quilt so don't mind the "less" quality fabric.

I'm fortunate to have a LQS that offers 25% off minimum of 1/2 yard cuts and her regular prices are still under $10. She does buy good fabric (Moda, RJR, Red Rooster, etc.) and can always find what I'm looking for.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I seldom go to my LQS and I shop at JoAnn's regularly. But this week I was out of town and went to a LQS. My experience this week gave me a strong reminder of the service and help I can get if I am willing to pay a little more. I still need to shop price, but I also sometimes need the help and opiniong of other quilters to nudge me to make a good fabric choice. I got that help at the LQS. At JoAnn's I get lots of sweet complements on my project but seldom and advice or direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    Alot of stores raise prices when coupons are offered. My personal favorite is when you use the "Safeway" card as an example. They tell you..."You saved $50.95 " , over what? your usual high prices?.....lol
    I totally agree with your comment about Safeway. They are so high I avoid them anytime I can.

Jo-Ann Fabrics fabrics aren't usually the same quality as fabrics at the LQS. They are typically a lower end run and I can tell by the feel. I buy a lot at Jo-Ann's but not fabrics. I'll buy designer fabrics for home dec, batting, notions, etc. I find that a coupon usually brings it down equal to or maybe a little lower than what you can get it for online. I typically can buy my Hobbs batting online for the same amount as the 50% coupon at JoAnn's with free shipping and not having to take a # and wait. I only go there when I need something fast and I have a coupon.

I prefer the oohing and aahing... I need feedback from somebody, especially if using printed fabric. Batiks I am okay with, but printed or flowery patterns throw me. And I always get great feedback on anything brought in. I even get the line, "It will be okay when quilted" if something isn't quite right. Give me Anne, Lisa, and the rest of the staff at Quilting by the Hearth in Lonsdale, MN.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Blog Entries
    Sounds like our stash has appreciated in value!

Don't feel bad about JoAnn's prices.........go to Walmart and there fabric now is almost $10 a yard for what they coin quality fabric which I refuse to buy since I can go to a neighboring town at the LQS and buy better quality fabric for between $5.98 to $8.98 a yard. I don't care for JoAnns or Hancock fabrics either.
    cparant

Love your narrative about the experience. My LQS is the same way and the JoAnns store is just as you described it, too. Some trivia for you if you hadn't noticed...the green outer border fabric you got at JoAnns is a cactus print...barrel cactus I think. Anyway, its very nice and looks great with your other fabrics.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I totally agree with your comment about Safeway. They are so high I avoid them anytime I can.

I was using Safeway as an example. Albertsons, Raley's and other chain grocery stores that have those club cards say the same thing. Makes you wonder.........
    Exactly where is this high priced store is that you are saving so much money over.
    We shop at Safeway most of the time. The one near our Doctor's office has the better service and its clean.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

What do you think the cost of fabric would be if Joanns and other large retailers would be if they used the standard of 3x the wholesale cost of fabric, like costco and sams does on the items they sell. I was in retail for twenty years and the way they price thing now has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WHOLESALE COST. the more of it they purchase directly affects what an item costs wholesale, Large companies like Joanns,Walmart, hobby lobby,hancocks and target buy large amounts and get the items at a really good price compared to what they sell things for. JMO

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    $12.99/yd for fabric at Jo-anns. ... lesson learned ... sometimes it's not the price per yard that shows the quality of the experience.
    Isn't this the truth. I'm blessed to live in an area where we can access at least 7-8 quilt stores within a 45-60 minute drive, and NONE of them charge $12.99 and up for well known brand fabric.
    Every time I pull one of those bolts off the shelf at Joanne's, the words "PRESUMPTUOUS! WANNA BE!" fly into my mind. I have never bought any of it from them and won't, just on principle.....even if I do have to pass on something I think I like/need/want.

Support your LQS. Where would we be without them?

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I think that when we had the cotton shortage it raised the cost of the fabric. When prices go up, they never seem to go down again. Add the cost of gasoline, and everything gets a cost increase. (remember we are at a all time high) I actually don't know why JoAnn's fabric for cotton yardage should be any higher than the local quilt shop.
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Ladies, I'm almost envious that so many of you live in close proximity to so many fabric stores! There are 2 LQS within an hour of my home; the JoAnn's and Hancock's are an hour and a half away and the Hobby Lobby even further! That being said, when I have had to go to the big city, I've run in JoAnn's and Hancock's to look at their fabrics. There seems to be a huge difference in quality here in my area between the box stores and the LQS. Maybe more choices in the box store, but I'll take quality over quantity any day! Prices were comparable, but the quality sure wasn't! I did find the ladies at both box stores to be very helpful, though.

I like shopping the quilt board first and find coordinating fabrics already in my stash or joann's only with a coupon. So the majority of my quilts are from the lovely quilters here.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    LOL

I like our local JoAnn's, the manager there knows me from before the new store was built. And I always get good service.
    I would rather eat dirt and talk nice about my ex daughter in law before I set foot in the LQS across the street from JoAnn's.

Sounds like you didn't get "catered" to like you thought you should be. :P
    Wow...lol....
    Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
    I think that when we had the cotton shortage it raised the cost of the fabric. When prices go up, they never seem to go down again. Add the cost of gasoline, and everything gets a cost increase. (remember we are at a all time high) I actually don't know why JoAnn's fabric for cotton yardage should be any higher than the local quilt shop.
    I agree. I think with all the droughts & the like, the prices have no choice but to go up. And then when they see that we'll pay the higher price, it just stays high. It still shocks me, tho. I was in Hancock's tonight & was really surprised at (a) the quality of the fabric (not nearly as good as it used to be) & (b) the high prices. Makes me want to dive head-first into my stash!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´(¸.• (¸.•´¸¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Nope! When my daughter married, I gained another dear son. My son is still single but I know I'll love his choice, as well!
    I agree but in reverse. My DS married a total gem & I assume when DD ties the knot, it'll be the same. I had such a HORRID time with my ex-MIL that I SWORE I'd love my kids' spouses no matter what!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

Quote Originally Posted by hensandhollyhocks View Post
    I like your quilt. I think you should try to go where you are most comfortable. Unhappy experiences tend to stay with us longer than others.
    My philosophy exactly! Which is why I avoid my LQS like the plague! They changed hands (I liked the old owners) & the first time I went in, they were super rude to me. OK... I get it... I'm not everyone's cup of tea. But then DH went in to buy me a book for some holiday & they were rude to him, too. He's the sweetest, most polite person you'd ever want to meet so that did it for me. Be snotty to me? Whatever. Be snotty to "my people"? A pox on your house!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)

I tend to see items priced alittle higher in Joann's....thinking maybe this is because alot of us shop with coupons, so they are still making money.

Quote Originally Posted by katydidkg View Post
    I tend to see items priced alittle higher in Joann's....thinking maybe this is because alot of us shop with coupons, so they are still making money.
    With that being said reason I shop my LQS and get my fabrics, great quality, for $5.95 a yard to $7.95 a yard everyday and sale table at $2.98 to $3.98 a yard whereas with JoAnns coupons its good for one time use on one product. Who needs a coupon like that when you can buy from an LQS for half retail of Joanns every day.
    cparant

You're quilt is pretty and love the border fabric you picked out. At our JoAnn's the quality of the fabric is cheap and the service is horrible. I'm lucky if I can find someone to check me out so I too frequent my LQS. I've also found that the prices (without coupon) are equivalent at both stores and since I get better quality fabric I go to my LQS. They are like yours, they are always eager to help. As a new quilter I have lots to learn and they are always eager to answer my questions and even show me how. They do lots of classes too!. The only thing I will buy now at JoAnn's is my mat, rulers, pins etc. I use the coupons on them but stay away from their fabric when quilting.

I was in Joann's last week - I don't go in very often because its a two hour drive one way to get there - they had a new fabric - can't remember the name - it was very nice cotton - beautiful design but I was shocked that it was $ 12.99 per yard. My LQS doesn't have fabric at that price - I have actually been very happy with my LQS - they have very good quality name brand cottons and the most expensive is about 11.99 - usually I can find prices from 5.99 to 9.99 or 10.99 - Also, I get really good servce at the LQS - the owner really helps when I am lookng for different colors and I have always been very happy with the selection.
    I like Joann's when I can use my coupons to get 40 or 50% off - that makes it more affordable. I think this is the future of fabric - everything has been going up in price and we are all feeling the pain of higher prices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast