Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: $12.99/yd Jo-ann fabric

I have given up on Jo'anns. I really don't like the gimiky stuff with the coupons to try to make you feel like you got a good deal on fabric that was over priced to begin with.

If I am going to pay that price I will shop online or in local LQS. The same fabric I saw at Joann's that was 12.99 was at LQS for 12.50 an I know it is top quality.

This is why I love our local Hobby Lobby! Not only does the usual lady-at-the-table ("clerk" just doesn't sound right) know fabrics . . . she makes quilt tops! She knows the fabric and knows what does/doesn't hold its color, etc. I love going there! Unfortunately, my "local" QS is over 30 miles away (but I love it, too).

Blog Entries
    wow! nice quilt!

$12.99 at Joanns ! Who'd have ever thought ??
    and I remember when I though $6-7 yd was high ! HAH

No thanks ! I'll pay $10.00 yd at my LQS, enjoy the visit, and help keep a LOCAL business in business !!
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 05-09-2012 at 08:44 AM.

I, too, had sticker shock when I was in JoAnn's. The bolt that I picked up, if I am not mistaken was 14.99. This was a very nice material, a blend, but it certainly was not worth the price. Remember, that is a piece of material 36x44. I heard the other day at my LQS that there is no material made in the US. I think we ought to do something about that.
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    My last trip to Jo-Anns taught me what a gem my LQS is. I am totally spoiled. Today's trip to the LQS: 5 yds "Harvest Roosters" by Debbie Mumm from the sale table $3.25 per yd; 2 yds Northcott fabric $6.75 per yd; and 1 yd RJR solid orange $4.39 per yd. The Northcott & the RJR were not on sale. Yep I am spoiled because I also get great advice.

If you are anywhere near Lancaster, PA or planning a trip to that area I will share my gem of a LQS with you...just PM me.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

I may be an exception, but there's an awesome quilt shop in my little town and the closest Hobby Lobby is 45 minutes away - Jo'ann's is an hour. We do have a nice Wal-mart in town with a good fabric department. Their prices have gone up as well.

Depends on the purpose of my quilt - small ones with short-term use get the best fabric I can get for the cheapest price. (The nap quilts I made my grandsons to take to pre-school didn't need expensive fabric.) Special gifts get the best I can afford - usually from the quilt shop - hopefully off the sale shelf!
    So many quilts, so little time.

I went to a local (25 miles away) JoAnn the other day and the place is being "redone" The new fabric section seems to be in place and there is definitely much less offering in a much smaller spot. The rest of the store is full of everything from soup to nuts!!!!!!!I think the new ownership has something to do with this upheavel!!!! I am sure the LQS are seeing a bit more traffic......l

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    I don't think I expected to be catered to - I just didn't expect to see prices like that. Like the stores where you bag your own groceries and expect lower prices to accompany that. I had a pleasant experience - not quite what I'm used to in my home shop, but I didn't expect that - just made me appreciate more what I get at home. Definately not in the "talk nice about my ex-daughter-in-law" category. (I find the hardest in THAT category to not ever ever say what I think about her to my precious grandson. He'll have to figure things out for himself!)

And .. totally agree about the receipts that tell me how much I saved by paying more than I should have in the first place! I wouldn't have BOUGHT the stuff if I'd had to pay what the "real" price was.
    Nice to know I am not the only one with a wicked ex DIL. I would rather keep silent then bad mouth their Mom in front of them. I think they know how she is though. It's sad, but true.

I do get a kick out of the clerks saying how much we "saved".......lol
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

No its corporate trying to impress the new owners and cutting back the hours of the employes
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I went to a local (25 miles away) JoAnn the other day and the place is being "redone" The new fabric section seems to be in place and there is definitely much less offering in a much smaller spot. The rest of the store is full of everything from soup to nuts!!!!!!!I think the new ownership has something to do with this upheavel!!!! I am sure the LQS are seeing a bit more traffic......l

For several months now especially last summer people were posting here on the board about the price of cotton going up. I don't get to my LQS very often because I work and one of the 2 days they have evening hours I have another commitment, so that leaves one week night, and Saturday that I can go. A couple of months ago I was in the quilt shop and they had fabric for 11.99 and 12.99 and last month when I was at JoAnn's there was a bolt for 12.99, it was one of the premium lines (heavier and better quality).
    When cotton prices go up they go up for everyone. At least at JoAnn's you can use a coupon for fabric and notions; and at my LQS they will do some sales with a percent off usually not more than 20%. I expect the next time you do get to the LQS you will see comparable increases.
    And at the JoAnn's I go to they ask what I'm working on (even sometimes the check out clerk), and if I ask for help they will try to help, and they do seem to know something about sewing even the younger women working there.

I like that I have the choice to got to both stores. I like that if I want to go on a weeknight I can go to JoAnn's which is farther away from me. I love that JoAnn's offers coupons, and often has quilting items for 50% off with no coupon needed.
    And most of all we in the USA aren't paying what quilters in other countries are paying! Since joining this board I have read various times what others pay per meter. I won't even complain about $15 / yard knowing what they have to pay-that was before the cotton increase. Of course no one likes it when a price goes up, but we still have it better than quilters in any other country.

fantastic job on your quilt, very nicely done.
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a JoAnn's to go to. I buy from my LQS or online and am always happy with what I get. I love the green fabric you bought! I would have bought that same fabric myself. Am I the only one who loves all their member of their family? I love my DIL and SIL. Sometimes my kids will say something negative about their spouse, but I tell them not to tell me anything bad about them because I will always take my kids' side and there is always two sides to the story. I see how wonderful my DIL and SIL are and appreciate them. They treat me so well, partially because I treat them so well. They are now my family, too.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

My complaint at Jo-Ann's is that they typically do not get full bolts of quilting fabric (for the moderately priced fabric). They usually get a max of 8 yards on a bolt. Well if you are making a queen or king size quilt and want 1 backing fabric you typically cannot not get it in one piece. A full bolt of quilting fabric 44-45" wide is typically 15 - 16 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Am I the only one who loves all their member of their family? I love my DIL and SIL.
    Nope! When my daughter married, I gained another dear son. My son is still single but I know I'll love his choice, as well!

Blog Entries
    I would not pay that per yard at JoAnn's. It's not worth it when I can find quilt shop quality online for much less.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
    I think Joann's has priced themselves out of the market. They started with those high prices last year for the premium and designer fabric. I don't think the quality is worth that much. I, too, have only bought some with the 50% off coupon. Better fabric than that is available on clearance at LQS for half that price.
    That's the truth. Can find better, cheaper priced fabric at LQS than J's. Was at J's today, looked at "specialty" fabric, so thin, stiff and $13 a yard. Couldn't wait to get to LQS.

Blog Entries
    Yes that's the prices for the "better quality" fabric at JoAnns. Their Keepsake Calico is as high as $9.99 a yard. I too used my 50% coupon on a piece of batik that I hope I can use in a couple of quilts. I also have the 60% coupon good for next week.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I like your quilt. I think you should try to go where you are most comfortable. Unhappy experiences tend to stay with us longer than others.

You really can't blame a chain for the individuals who work there, though I think that good management results in good service. Someone on top hires people and sets the tone for the workplace. As I've said before, I'm so lucky to have 4 LQSs and a discount fabric shop from one to ten miles from me. There are three JoAnn's within 45 minutes drive in three directions, so I don't get there much.

My LQS is having a sidewalk sale this week and she sells bolts for $24.00 or 40% off. If the bolt has more than 4 yards on it you pay the flat rate. If you only wanted the fabric for quilting it wouldn't be worth it unless you needed it for backing. I use it for a type of garment, so it is really a good deal for my group. Also the remnants are given to a couple of friends who quilt and make good use out of it also.
    Gigi to Jordan and Jake

Think back to when everyone made clothing....suddenly the cost of fashion fabric, zippers, seam tape and the like totaled more than the cost of purchasing a well made dress. Unfortunately it appears quilting is going in the same direction. The industry may price themselves out of the market.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    The green outer border is the $12.99/yd fabric.
    There is such a difference in Joann stores from region to region. I got the exact same fabric last year in the red dot section for $4 yard and used a 20% off everything coupon.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I am still relatively new to retirement and quilting but we have a Jo Ann's, Walmart, and Hobby Lobby here in town with 2 other quilt stores 10-15 miles away. With gas prices, I have been sticking to the local in town stores. I make good use of the coupons (if I get one in the Sunday paper, one on line, and one in the mail) for Jo Ann's, I can get 40-50% off on 3 items. All the coupons have different codes so I can use them on three items. I do get the best fabric I can for the price using the coupons so I am saving money and have purchased almost all the material I have bought over this first year and a half of quilting. I have bought all the tools and thread that I have needed with coupons. I use the Hobby Lobby coupons 40% off of their 30% off fabric and they change the amount at the register to give me 40% off. All of the clerks have been extremely helpful and they do know quilting and it is always a pleasure dealing with them. Walmart just recently got their fabric back and it is still difficult finding a clerk but they are getting better.

At the two closest Quilt stores, I have purchased material at the regular price $12.99-14.99 per yard when they have had a sale (only 2 this whole year) as well as no sales and they have wonderful fabrics that I could not find at the other three. They are a big help with my questions and I do go to them when I need something special (my husband wanted a Civil War quilt and the material at these stores is wonderful for the vintage projects) So all my experiences though varied have been good. Also, on a 650 mile trip to North Carolina, I got an email from a quilt shop 537 miles away from our home that was having a great sale so I had the husband take our break (we get out and walk a bit every 2 hours) and I spent a little over $100 for $180 worth of quality fabric (it is wonderful!).

I have completed 10 quilts, have 4 in various stages of piecing, quilting, basting. You all have been wonderful with your guidance and I sincerely thank you for all the great information on this board. We are all trying to have fun and save money - support from the store clerks, this board, and coupons are ALWAYS appreciated.
    Busy in Ohio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast