Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$12.99/yd Jo-ann fabric >

$12.99/yd Jo-ann fabric

$12.99/yd Jo-ann fabric

Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Love your narrative about the experience. My LQS is the same way and the JoAnns store is just as you described it, too. Some trivia for you if you hadn't noticed...the green outer border fabric you got at JoAnns is a cactus print...barrel cactus I think. Anyway, its very nice and looks great with your other fabrics.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
I totally agree with your comment about Safeway. They are so high I avoid them anytime I can.

I was using Safeway as an example. Albertsons, Raley's and other chain grocery stores that have those club cards say the same thing. Makes you wonder.........
Exactly where is this high priced store is that you are saving so much money over.
We shop at Safeway most of the time. The one near our Doctor's office has the better service and its clean.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:24 AM

What do you think the cost of fabric would be if Joanns and other large retailers would be if they used the standard of 3x the wholesale cost of fabric, like costco and sams does on the items they sell. I was in retail for twenty years and the way they price thing now has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WHOLESALE COST. the more of it they purchase directly affects what an item costs wholesale, Large companies like Joanns,Walmart, hobby lobby,hancocks and target buy large amounts and get the items at a really good price compared to what they sell things for. JMO
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
$12.99/yd for fabric at Jo-anns. ... lesson learned ... sometimes it's not the price per yard that shows the quality of the experience.
Isn't this the truth. I'm blessed to live in an area where we can access at least 7-8 quilt stores within a 45-60 minute drive, and NONE of them charge $12.99 and up for well known brand fabric.
Every time I pull one of those bolts off the shelf at Joanne's, the words "PRESUMPTUOUS! WANNA BE!" fly into my mind. I have never bought any of it from them and won't, just on principle.....even if I do have to pass on something I think I like/need/want.

Support your LQS. Where would we be without them?

Jan in VA
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM

I think that when we had the cotton shortage it raised the cost of the fabric. When prices go up, they never seem to go down again. Add the cost of gasoline, and everything gets a cost increase. (remember we are at a all time high) I actually don't know why JoAnn's fabric for cotton yardage should be any higher than the local quilt shop.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Ladies, I'm almost envious that so many of you live in close proximity to so many fabric stores! There are 2 LQS within an hour of my home; the JoAnn's and Hancock's are an hour and a half away and the Hobby Lobby even further! That being said, when I have had to go to the big city, I've run in JoAnn's and Hancock's to look at their fabrics. There seems to be a huge difference in quality here in my area between the box stores and the LQS. Maybe more choices in the box store, but I'll take quality over quantity any day! Prices were comparable, but the quality sure wasn't! I did find the ladies at both box stores to be very helpful, though.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM

I like shopping the quilt board first and find coordinating fabrics already in my stash or joann's only with a coupon. So the majority of my quilts are from the lovely quilters here.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
LOL

I like our local JoAnn's, the manager there knows me from before the new store was built. And I always get good service.
I would rather eat dirt and talk nice about my ex daughter in law before I set foot in the LQS across the street from JoAnn's.

Sounds like you didn't get "catered" to like you thought you should be. :P
Wow...lol....
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pepita View Post
I think that when we had the cotton shortage it raised the cost of the fabric. When prices go up, they never seem to go down again. Add the cost of gasoline, and everything gets a cost increase. (remember we are at a all time high) I actually don't know why JoAnn's fabric for cotton yardage should be any higher than the local quilt shop.
I agree. I think with all the droughts & the like, the prices have no choice but to go up. And then when they see that we'll pay the higher price, it just stays high. It still shocks me, tho. I was in Hancock's tonight & was really surprised at (a) the quality of the fabric (not nearly as good as it used to be) & (b) the high prices. Makes me want to dive head-first into my stash!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Nope! When my daughter married, I gained another dear son. My son is still single but I know I'll love his choice, as well!
I agree but in reverse. My DS married a total gem & I assume when DD ties the knot, it'll be the same. I had such a HORRID time with my ex-MIL that I SWORE I'd love my kids' spouses no matter what!