Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$13 a yard???? >

$13 a yard????

$13 a yard????

Old 06-06-2015, 07:03 AM

I don't pay that price. I shop online a lot, connecting threads, home sew. These shops have quality fabrics. I certainly wouldn't use this expensive fabric for charity quilts. My stash is overloaded but I do like to buy new pieces to go with what I have to freshen it up. Batiks are higher in price but nancy's notions have them on sale.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 AM

I buy in the LQS. Years ago when Joanns started everyone was buying there. Now there are no regular fabric stores with high quality sewing fabrics in my area. Resources are very limited on that. I don't want that to happen with the LQS so I buy from them even though the prices are higher. Now that one has moved to a new location about 5 miles from my house, I'll probably be buying even more. I have a trip planned for one of my lunch hours next week!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I just went to my LQS but still couldn't afford any fabric. 50% off or not
Old 06-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I was interested in making myself a queen sized Dresden Plate quilt. Total of 30 yards front and back. That's $390.

How do you all justify spending that much? Especially for donation quilts.
Interesting way you put it...

Mostly we spend what we want to spend--no 'justification" needed. However, I'd guess most of us don't spend anything close to that much per yard on an average. Some will, but I'd guess that the vast majority of quilters don't buy the majority of their fabrics at $13+/yard.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:32 PM

I wanted to add that someone who has been on a craft tour to Bali said that you could get batiks there for about $2.50/yard. If you can get $2.50/yard as an individual consumer, then why are they so expensive in the shops in the USA or elsewhere? And don't tell me that it takes an additional $10/yard to bring it to the USA on a boat. I don't believe it.

I was able to buy batiks cheaper in Kenya, Africa than in the USA. I am convinced it is just that they figure that is what people will pay. People will complain for a while, while the shop owners smile and say, "Sorry, but our prices have gone up" and eventually people get used to it, and then fork over the money.

Someone said that they have overhead, etc. All shops have overhead, storage, etc. Even "just" on line shop. I think, though, am not sure, that the markup on fabric must be about 3x the wholesale price, so that they can have 50% off sales and still make money.

Once when we were first here in Poland, I noticed that they sold Levi jeans for close to $100/pair when you could (at that time) walk into any Levi jeans store in the USA and pay about $40 retail--no sale, etc. It is just what they figured people will pay--there was no effort to make them available cheaper for the average folks. They just keep the price high and make Levis a "luxury" brand. I think that there is a similar mentality with many quilt shops. I understand people have to make money or they go out of business, but I am not sure that they care that it is difficuilt for the average consumer who is being hit with increases on every hand--health insurance, gasoline, groceries, etc. They just shrug, and say, "That's life." In a way, they are right, but they are leaving room for businesses who want to bring better prices/sales, etc.

Today I bought a bunch of fabric at Hancock's of Paducah for 2.99/yard with $20 off of $100 - that's 20% off if you keep your total close to $100. I figured that made the fabric in the ballpark of $2.40/yard. I was pleased. The sale goes through the 9th.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 PM

That is normal price at my LQS too. I pay it for important gift quilts, but find less expensive fabric on sale or on line for charity quilts. There are lots of nice fabrics for charity quilts at $6 or less per yard.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 PM

Shops pay utilities, salaries, insurance, rent/mortgage, workmans comp. advertising, shipping costs, taxes on inventory etc.

Manufacturers buy advertising, pay salaries, insurance, workmans comp., shipping, duties, taxes, warehouse costs, etc. Ultimately the consumer shares in all of those costs.

We all have a price tolerance. Some consumers want what is new...or want exactly the same fabric that is on the pattern or shop sample and they are willing to pay for the privilege purchasing the collection pieces. We all have buying choices and different budgets.

Sandy
Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 PM

I'm trying to use up my stash and uncompleted projects. I try to stay out of my LQS unless they are having a sale. because I know I'm going to find some just gotta have fabric. My local LQS was having a sale today- end of bolt timeless treasure for 3.99 a yard. So much for working on reducing the stash!

Fabric is like other items. I shop the sales and try to buy the best I can afford.

Last edited by berryberry; 06-06-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:39 PM

I won't pay that price -- I can't. I was forced to retire due to back problems and my income was cut in half. I just have to shop wisely!

Jeanette
Old 06-07-2015, 06:29 PM

I am also retired and my only income is SS so I try to save a few $$ every month to buy batting and thread and some fabric to finish projects. I do like to buy quality fabric but now I buy only what I am going to use not to add to my stash. I am now glad that I have several thousand dollars worth of quality fabric that I bought when I was working.

But like anything else, we each do our best to get the best deal and we like the LQS because they are doing the best to stay in business.