Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: $600 budget - what machine should I get?

Wow, 50% off for just 6 months of use?! SOLD!!! I've heard good things about Vikings. (The machines, not the men. I understand the men were kind of violent. ;D)
    Jenel Looney
    Assistant to Susan Mallery
    New York Times bestselling author

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Just something else to consider. I have a friend with a Pfaff and built in walking foot. She is unable to FMQ with this particular model - as confirmed by the dealer. something about not being able to get a FM foot that would work - can't disable the dual feed. They tried every adaptation they could think of. She ended up getting a low end Brother and is extremely happy with it.
    And here I am, wanting to trade up from a low end Brother just so I can FMQ! Hmmmmmm....
    Jenel Looney

Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    So if anyone is in the market for a new expensive but excellent quality machine get thee to a Bernina dealer June 16th.
    Temptress!
    Jenel Looney

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    Call Amy Smith at Brubakers ..site is brubakerssewing.com I have purchased three machines from them. Two were slightly loved.....they have machines during quilt markets that they sell for great prices after using them for demos.
    Thank you for the recommendation, Diana! Much appreciated! I'll check out their website. I'm not quite ready to buy yet, but I'm going to be soon.
    Jenel Looney

Hello
    I have a bought new (1992') Janome 5,000 Sewing & embroidery machine. I always kept up w/having it serviced including the last service 2 months ago to make sure all is working smoothly for the new owner.
    I decided on a purchasing a used Janome 11,000 SE model.
    Included is all the original items :feet,hoop for embroidery,video,pamphlet,,carry case.

Thank you
    Linda

If intersed, I will gladly share w/you more information w/you, including pictures.
    lp

I would go to every shop nearby and try all the machines in that price range and have each dealer tell me their "deals" and see which one I liked best. It's like buying a new car. You don't usually buy one without driving it first and checking everything out. But you can always get a lemon no matter what... I bought my Viking off eBay and love it. It knows and does more than I do. It's great for fmq...Good luck no matter what you decide.

I bought a used Janome from the local dealer and am IN LOVE! I traded in a terrible Pfaff that I only owned for 2 years and sewed on a few times b/c it always broke. I cannot rave about Janomes enough. I'll never buy anything except a Janome now!
    Michelle

I just got a BrotherPQ1500S aqnd LOVE it. It is straight stitch only but for quilting I realy do not need anything else. It has a large throat for FMQ and the stitches on FMQ are really nice and neat. 1500 stitches/min is a great speed which may be why the stitching is so nice. Peddle to the metel has a new meaning. I also got it from AMazon but I paid $600 instead of $530. free shipping and no tax in my state .I did a test drive at a local sewing center. Amazon is a authorized dealer so the warrenty is covered. This machine has good reviews from others here on the board. Good luck !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Just something else to consider. I have a friend with a Pfaff and built in walking foot. She is unable to FMQ with this particular model - as confirmed by the dealer. something about not being able to get a FM foot that would work - can't disable the dual feed. They tried every adaptation they could think of. She ended up getting a low end Brother and is extremely happy with it.
    This makes no sense to me. It is very easy to disengage the dual feed dog (the top one). She should be able to fmq with her machine. I haven't done fmq with mine, but know others do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    Jenel,
    Call Amy Smith at Brubakers ..site is brubakerssewing.com I have purchased three machines from them. Two were slightly loved.....they have machines during quilt markets that they sell for great prices after using them for demos.
    I purchased a 6600 from them that was only a few weeks old....the customer decided on the 7700. they gave me a great price and warranty...They also sell all machine accessories at reasonable prices, then you get 15% off if you belong to the janome 6500 yahoo group. They provide great service and take care of their customers. No sales tax and most of the time free shipping. I am not connected with them, but wished they were in Texas, I would shop there all the time. They do have other machines besides Janomes, check out their site. I have a Janome 3160 with auto thread cutter, which is a must for piecing. It is light weight. I take it to quilt classes and love the features. I know you have a budget, but since you know you want to quilt, I would look for a used 6600. I have two, one for cabin, other for home.
    Call Amy.
    Diana in TX
    Agree! Brubakers has great deals on lots of machines, and they seem great to deal with.

Thank you! I just added the Brother PQ1500S to my Amazon wish list. It does look like what I'm looking for, just a good, solid machine that I can use for piecing and FMQ. I want to go see what's available from the local dealer first, but this one is a definite possibility!
    Jenel Looney

Blog Entries
    i was at a joann's super center store recently, and they had a saphire 853 used, took in on trade, for 650-...might be worth considering??

Quote Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
    Thank you! I just added the Brother PQ1500S to my Amazon wish list. It does look like what I'm looking for, just a good, solid machine that I can use for piecing and FMQ. I want to go see what's available from the local dealer first, but this one is a definite possibility!
    Yes this is a good solid machine. Go to a Brothers dealer and test drive it. I really like the fact that you can addjustthe presser foot tension, drop the feed dogs to different heights, and easily adjust the upper tension, I was sewing on a Singer Quilter that you could not do any of these things easily. IMHO all you need to do quilting is a straight stitch!

I went to our local Brother Dealer, but he didn't have this machine, and in fact only had one machine under $1,000, a Janome that doesn't look much different than my current machine. He was pretty discouraging, actually, and never mentioned having any trade-ins, either. His attitude seemed to be, "If you can't afford one of these machines, you shouldn't be sewing." So no matter what, I won't be shopping with him! Didn't even look at fabric in his store, I was so thrown off by his attitude. Imagine... in a sewing store, and didn't look at fabric!
    Jenel Looney

i recommend finding a used Bernina or Pfaff. Don't be afraid to get one of the older ones if you are going to be doing mostly piecing. i have a Bernina 830 ( the original 1980's one), that i sewed clothes for 7 children including three wedding ensembles, quilts and much mending on. This machine is now being used by my oldest daughter (36) for quilting. it has held up well, only getting 4 professional cleanings and tune ups in 30 years. Now i sew with a Pfaff Quilt 4, a Featherweight and a old solid metal Pfaff straight stitch.

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone! I decided to go ahead and buy the Brother PQ1500S. It should arrive on Tuesday. Today, I'm going to prepare some quilt sandwiches to practice FMQ on when the machine arrives. I'm very excited!
    Jenel Looney

Congrats on your new machine! Sorry the local dealer was so rude, I hate that. Be sure to show your new baby when she arrives!
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

Blog Entries
    I hope you enjoy it!! I ended up sending mine back!!

Thank you for the recommendations, everyone! I decided to go ahead and buy the Brother PQ1500S. It should arrive on Tuesday. Today, I'm going to prepare some quilt sandwiches to practice FMQ on when the machine arrives. I'm very excited!

Yikes! I hope I don't have to send it back. I've been reading tons of really wonderful reviews, including here on the board, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm sorry yours didn't work for you. Do you mind sharing what the problem was?
    Jenel Looney

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    Congrats on your new machine! Sorry the local dealer was so rude, I hate that. Be sure to show your new baby when she arrives!
    Okay, I will! I think it's going to be both fun and frustrating, as I learn how to use it.
    Jenel Looney

Blog Entries
    Oh no, no trouble!! You'll love it! It just that it was only an inch bigger than the one I use now. Then the engine of our car blew up so we decided to send it back for a refund, knowing that I could order another one when our finances are better again! But, unless my Pfaff has to go to the sewing machine grave-yard, I'll stick with her until I can afford a 15 or 16 inch one.

Yikes! I hope I don't have to send it back. I've been reading tons of really wonderful reviews, including here on the board, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'm sorry yours didn't work for you. Do you mind sharing what the problem was?

I love my Pfaff 1222E. She and I have aged together since 1977 when she was new. The Pfaff does the absolute best straight stitch and since I have recently taken up FMQ, I use the Pfaff. But I have kept my machine in pristine shape as much as I could over all these years and several moves, so it hasn't had any abuse whatsoever. The only foot that I can use in FMQ is the "Darning foot" it came with. I have spoken to Amy at Brubaker's and there is no other foot for FM that fits that line of machines. Nevertheless, the is no problem, as the Pfaff will handle any thread in both top and bottom without any trouble. I do have to set the tension fairly high though. I did purchase, just recently, another bobbin case to set a lower tension on for FMQ to see if that will allow me to use lower top tension. BUT, the Pfaff is much slower than most machines, certainly than my Janomes and my Viking. I have a Janome 8050, a very low priced machine from Hancock's - it does really nice FMQ now that I have worked with the tensions of various cotton threads on top. I use Masterpiece in the bobbin on the Janome. I do think you can do FM on any machine. My Viking does a good job as well, but that is my modern expensive machine which I like to use only for garments and other sewing, not FM, so there are always a couple of machines set up differently. The Pfaff is too slow for FMQ if I do progress and want to do it a lot. I don't know why but it has always been a fairly slow machine compared to other machines. AND I would love a knee lift. Don't need a thread cutter, but would almost buy another machine just for knee lift! I am looking at that Brother seriously lately. Do post how it all goes with your new Brother - it is just like the Babylock Jane as well. SO I too await the results of your tests on the Brother! Thanks for allowing us to follow along on your road to a new machine.
    m

Blog Entries
    Brother PQ1500s. About $550 on Amazon. A little more elsewhere. Quality mechanical straight stitch, very few bells and whistles machine. Have been trying to FMQ on my Sapphire 870 for three years. It does everything else pretty well, but the FMQ is problematic, sometimes OK, sometimes endless frustration. From reading around I have come to the conclusion that these complicated computerized machines are sometimes too fussy for the hard work of FMQ. So a good quality mechanical straight stitch is the answer. However, if you want the fancy stitches or even zig zag, you will need another machine.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&s=arts-crafts

Blog Entries
    How are you and your new Brother getting along?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3