Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: $70 bucks a month! Seriously!

Wow, I am speechless! and that doesn't happen often...

Ouch! Too much for me too!

You're all being pretty hard on Keepsake Quilting for their price on this kit ($420), but they certainly aren't charging the highest price for it. They are the only one offering pre-cut, pre-fused pieces for the whole thing, however, and thats a lot of labor for 17 blocks plus the border details. It's out there other places at $504 for just the fabrics and patterns, but it can also be found for $250, so a very large range. I think KQ is being quite reasonable considering what you get for the money.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    You're all being pretty hard on Keepsake Quilting for their price on this kit ($420), but they certainly aren't charging the highest price for it. .........
    Actually I enjoy Keepsake and wasn't bashing THEIR shop when I, for one, thought this was too high. Finding out that the BOM is only 6 months instead of the assumed 12 ....making the price half my original assumption...and yet still hearing one purchases backing and batting -- and then the quilting -- makes it still WAY high, in MY opinion. (which, with a couple dollars, will get you a cuppa coffee, right?).

Ryan's applique work has been around since I had my shop well over a decade ago, and was wildly popular then as well. She's definitely got a good thing going and her work is very appealing. I guess the price is one way to make sure not everybody on earth makes one or more of her quilts! (like we all have a stack and whack or one block wonder, for instance.) I support her fame!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    There are many quilters that can afford the prices. Remember that spending a $100 to some people is the same as spending $10 to others. Everyone has different spending limitations and sticker shock is different for everyone.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    $840 for the quilt, plus $60 shipping for the year, and I assume no batting is included??!
    Are you serious? OMG, some people will buy anything!

Jan in VA
    The one I saw in the Keepsake catalog was $63.99 and shipping was 3.99, it is a 6 month commitment, which figures out to $383.94 for the quilt, $23.94 for shipping and if you order the backing it is $54.99. Total for the quilt top and back, no batting is $462.87 which for batiks and pre-cut isn't too far outrageous, but it is only 69"x76". I would probably add another border to make it more useable, but then I would have to up the amount of backing needed which would add a few more dollars to the package.
    OzarksGma

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Good one!!!!!
    I agree. I got the catalog too, but kind of skipped over this.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I ran across a quilt kit that was over $500. It just boggles the mind.
    Robin in TX

Not for me guess i will stick to my basic quilt

Blog Entries
    all the blocks of the month that I have seen are all way over priced if I want to do a block a month I do the free ones off the internet and use my stash quilting has turned into a big money thing glad I stocked up when the prices were right and I do have a large stash kits included

Blog Entries
    I showed my husband the Generals' Wives BOM. He appreciates now the way I buy fabric - on sale - thrift stores, etc. Holy Cats -$364.99 for the kit, backing is $106.99 and that is not counting the batting or the postage. Buy it by the month and it is well over $600 including the batting. I pride myself on making something that is good, but doesn't have to cost THAT much!!!!!!! I really would like to do a Civil War Quilt though, be it the Generals or the Generals' Wives. Dream on!

You know, if you want to do a block a month, do the Fab Shop Hop Quilt patterns. I have a lot of them and will be making quilts from those patterns. They are free, they are really not that hard, you can do it any way you want, and they also have the name of the designer, the name of the fabric collection and everything is ready to go except you get the stuff yourself at your LQS. This month is Summer Watermelon Sampler and it is really sweet, but you can do it any way you like, even with your own stash. I am going to do this one this winter. Looks nice and homey if it was done in warmer colors!

Edie
    Last edited by Edie; 06-03-2012 at 03:51 AM.
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

FLQ
    There are many posts around quilt forums/blogs lately pointing out that pricing and current trends are a big issue. People have a budget and some of these new offerings are going beyond affordable. We'll see how that works out. I do get lots of ideas from the Keepsake catalogue and it costs a bundle to do that printing.

Not only that, it's only 56 x 51. That's about $1 for every 3-1/2 square inches.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think this is reasonable. But I do block of the month clubs. And I do Civil War BOMs and they are spendy. I just took a king Civil War BOM in to be quilted and it's going to end up costing me a fortune, but it will be a keepsake. I was doing quite a few BOMs and finally figured out how much they were actually costing me and called and cancelled all but 2 of them and feel better now. But one of them is over $32 a month and the other is $25 month and they are both for 12 months and that doesn't include backing (I don't think anyway). Not joining anymore BOMs I don't think unless I really really like it!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    NO WAY!!! I'm sure it is nice, but that is out of my league.

I think I will by-pass this one, thank you very much.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

LOL I was also wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    I wonder if you paid a little extra, if they would just send you the completed quilt, LOL!
    Anna Quilts

Just can't afford to buy from them, sometimes wonder how they stay in business, thank you for sharing Have a blessed day Ellen

Blog Entries
    I just ordered five of McKenna Ryan's patterns from the Beach Walk series. I carefully pick which ones I like the best, then enlarge them. I don't want small 12 inch blocks, I want bed quilts and I do want to mix and match. Plus I am looking for enough detail to be able to enlarge them and have them look right. I had one appraised last year for $1200 and have another to be appraised this summer. I also prefer to choose my own colors. Leftovers make beautiful scrappy quilts so I guess I have the best of both worlds for me and what I like to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Debbie
    Machine It

Good Googa Mooga!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    The only way prices ever come down is if, collectively, people just don't buy a specific product for an extended period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
    The only way prices ever come down is if, collectively, people just don't buy a specific product for an extended period of time.
    Can you please cite a specific example of this happening? Doesn't have to be quilting related, but that would be helpful. In my experience, people not buying something for an extended period of time simply makes it go away, not come down in price.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    WOW---to much for my pocketbook.$420 plus tax and S&H -thats a house payment

Hi..What is the Pine Tree catalog? Thanks K.

I go to McKennas website http://www.pineneedles.com and buy the patterns on sale. I love her artistic talent, I don't buy the whole quilt, just the block that I like and I make my quilt around it. I got the "swing low" block from back on the farm, its so cute!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast